DC Stage 2 Install Question

greatone61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, when I called DC Performance they made a note of all my mods I'm putting on the truck right now. I received the flashed ECM but I haven't got my Magnaflow yet. If I install the ECM without the mods I told DC about will it hurt the engine? Thanks.

you don't need a 170 thermostat. in fact, it doesn't even make a difference.

A 170 thermostat will help with detonation, allowing the vehicle to drop below the stock 195 temperature.

If the Flash is configured with the 170 t-stat, and you don't put one it, then your fan is going to be running A LOT, because it is going to try to get to that 'target' temp (down to 170). A 170 thermostat is cheap insurance when it comes to HP and detonation in these trucks and I would highly recommend it.

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
A 170 thermostat will help with detonation, allowing the vehicle to drop below the stock 195 temperature.

If the Flash is configured with the 170 t-stat, and you don't put one it, then your fan is going to be running A LOT, because it is going to try to get to that 'target' temp (down to 170). A 170 thermostat is cheap insurance when it comes to HP and detonation in these trucks and I would highly recommend it.

-Red

Thanks man, I'll wait until I get 170 stat.

T-stat won't lower the running temp of the truck, it just opens earlier to allow coolant to start circulating through the radiator.

RatMotor said:
T-stat won't lower the running temp of the truck, it just opens earlier to allow coolant to start circulating through the radiator.

I would have to disagree with ya RatMotor.....when driving down the freeway and you ambient temp is, lets say 85 degrees, and you coolant temp is 200. The coolant temp will continue to stay @ 195-200 and will not drop below that due to the fact that the thermostat closes every time it hits 190-195 and is designed to work that way.

But with a 170 t-stat, it now has the opportunity to drop below that 195 range into the 170 range....how do I know??? Because mine doesn't go ABOVE 170-180 in 100 degree weather driving down the freeway! Before I had the 170, it would stay a about 200-220 continuously and it never dropped below that, due to the Thermostat being closed, thats just the way there designed.

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
I would have to disagree with ya RatMotor.....when driving down the freeway and you ambient temp is, lets say 85 degrees, and you coolant temp is 200. The coolant temp will continue to stay @ 195-200 and will not drop below that due to the fact that the thermostat closes every time it hits 190-195 and is designed to work that way.

But with a 170 t-stat, it now has the opportunity to drop below that 195 range into the 170 range....how do I know??? Because mine doesn't go ABOVE 170-180 in 100 degree weather driving down the freeway! Before I had the 170, it would stay a about 200-220 continuously and it never dropped below that, due to the Thermostat being closed, thats just the way there designed.

-Red

I agree. With the 170 there is the opportunity to run cooler than with the stock thermostat. That doesn't mean it will, except in cooler weather or when there's alot of air flowing through the radiator, but the possibility is there. With the stock 195 or whatever it is, that's the coolest the engine will ever run.

OK, in a situation where weather conditions would permit the truck to run cooler than the opening temp of the stock tstat, it will run cooler. I was more referring to the people saying their trucks run 210 or whatever, and install 170 tstats thinking it will lower temps. So to rephrase, a cooler tstat will not lower your temps if they're too high.

Install the PCM. Unhook you battery and remove the bottom screw first. Once installed drive a little and see how it runs. If the only mod you are missing is T-stat and Magnaflow you should not see a problem. Let us know what you think of the difference. Oh make sure you are running 93 octane. Good luck brother.

Smoke

this statement is completely wrong.

#1. the 170 thermostat does not lower the water temperature at all. The radiator fan does not come on any sooner with the DC stage II flash so unless you're already going 50 mph or so the temperature win't be lowered. Mine sits at around 200 degrees with a 170 thermostat as does everybody elses.

#2. Lowering the water temperature does absolutely nothing to stop detonation. Your engine will detonate just as much when it's cold. Lowering the intake air temperature a substantial ammount will help stop detonation but only if it's caused by superheated air (ie compressing the air with a supercharger/turbo)

RedSrt007 said:

-Red

Hey fellas,

I will try installing the ECM and see how it runs. If I feel its hurting the engine I'll take it off and let you guys know. Thanks!:rock:

if you don't have 94 octaine, get some torco racing fuel additive. it works very well!

~mike~
greatone61 said:
Hey fellas,

I will try installing the ECM and see how it runs. If I feel its hurting the engine I'll take it off and let you guys know. Thanks!:rock:

AWDisuzu said:

#2. Lowering the water temperature does absolutely nothing to stop detonation. Your engine will detonate just as much when it's cold. Lowering the intake air temperature a substantial ammount will help stop detonation but only if it's caused by superheated air (ie compressing the air with a supercharger/turbo)

You are right... statement #2 (above) is completely wrong....

Rotten Ronnie

AWDisuzu said:

#1. the 170 thermostat does not lower the water temperature at all. The radiator fan does not come on any sooner with the DC stage II flash so unless you're already going 50 mph or so the temperature win't be lowered. Mine sits at around 200 degrees with a 170 thermostat as does everybody elses.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match on who's right and who's wrong, but lowering the operating temperature (as the water temp will help the block temp, which will help the overall temp, etc..) will help prevent detonation due to the overall temp being cooler. I agree with you that lowering your intake temp will also help stop detonation, but your intake temp is drastically changed by your 'engine compartment' temp also...see what I'm saying?? The PCM reads many sensors to make a determination, like the Intake air temp sensor and the water temp, etc......

Read the "Keep it Cool" section in this link..you will learn a lot of information :)

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0605phr_pump_gas_secrets/

"Generally, a 180-degree thermostat is the recommended piece for a street engine, though a cooler 160-degree unit can result in a slight power increase, and reduced tendency toward detonation, if the cooling system has the capacity to keep the temperature down..."

As for your #1 statement....maybe you should place a call to DC Performance (there numbers is on our vendor page) and make sure your correct before you jump to conclusions :) about them not updating the PCM. I don't know about your truck, but instantly after Chris gave me my truck back, it wont go over about 170 (and its currently over 102F here in San Diego :D ), I asked him if there was a temperature change in the PCM and he explained to me that changes had been made, along with a few other adjustments like the WOT timer, and some other stuff (thats another topic...)

Thanks

-Red

Last edited:
RedSrt007 said:
I'm not going to get in a pissing match on who's right and who's wrong, but lowering the operating temperature (as the water temp will help the block temp, which will help the overall temp, etc..) will help prevent detonation due to the overall temp being cooler. I agree with you that lowering your intake temp will also help stop detonation, but your intake temp is drastically changed by your 'engine compartment' temp also...see what I'm saying?? The PCM reads many sensors to make a determination, like the Intake air temp sensor and the water temp, etc......

Read the "Keep it Cool" section in this link..you will learn a lot of information :)

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0605phr_pump_gas_secrets/

"Generally, a 180-degree thermostat is the recommended piece for a street engine, though a cooler 160-degree unit can result in a slight power increase, and reduced tendency toward detonation, if the cooling system has the capacity to keep the temperature down..."

As for your #1 statement....maybe you should place a call to DC Performance (there numbers is on our vendor page) and make sure your correct before you jump to conclusions :) about them not updating the PCM. I don't know about your truck, but instantly after Chris gave me my truck back, it wont go over about 170 (and its currently over 102F here in San Diego :D ), I asked him if there was a temperature change in the PCM and he explained to me that changes had been made, along with a few other adjustments like the WOT timer, and some other stuff (thats another topic...)

Thanks

-Red

You think your elevation has a part to play in why your truck won't go over 170? I ask because here in Santa Fe, when people drive in from a lower altitude they have the problem of overheating. Santa Fe is at 7200 ft. (talk about a bad 1/4 time), so I figured elevation could play a part in it as well.

Back