Cure for the noisy lifters!

500snakz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the oil about 1k miles ago and did not want to post too soon on my findings. I used mobil1 0w40 and added 1 qt jug of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Almost all of the lifter noise is gone. The temps of the oil have been between 185-220 and still no noise. I highly suggest that if you have a lifter noise that the 8.3 almost allways has...try this stuff. Don't buy the regular stuff...make sure you get the 100% synthetic.

Great post and timing! My oil needs changing and I hate when people are looking under the hood and want to hear it. The next ? is always about the "tapping". Thanks!

EMT/SRT said:
Great post and timing! My oil needs changing and I hate when people are looking under the hood and want to hear it. The next ? is always about the "tapping". Thanks!

You'll still hear the injector noise though.;)

That's good info. I already have it on hand, and was just waiting to add it for the after break in oil change.

Last edited:
500snakz said:
I just changed the oil about 1k miles ago and did not want to post too soon on my findings. I used mobil1 0w40 and added 1 qt jug of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Almost all of the lifter noise is gone. The temps of the oil have been between 185-220 and still no noise. I highly suggest that if you have a lifter noise that the 8.3 almost allways has...try this stuff. Don't buy the regular stuff...make sure you get the 100% synthetic.

Does the the exhaust sound a little lumpy now?

I use 15W 40 and Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. I still have a miriachi band under my hood. Little suckers been there from day one.:p :D

BlackKnight said:
Would changing them out for different lifters get rid of the noise?

A lot of it.
They are a high bleed-down design lifter and that's why they clatter; (similar to the old Rhodes style performance lifter). They make the cam seem smaller than it is, to help pass emissions.
I like the rattle...It makes them sound like a gigantic Slant Six!
(My apologies to those that don't know what that is)...

Last edited:
I just changed my oil on Sunday. After I started the truck up.........I just stood there with the hood open looking into the engine bay and listened to my symphany...............I have come to embrace and love the tone of my lifters!!!! :D LOL

patrick

bigike said:
Variable duration lifter.

I had a 327 el cameno with rhodes and she clattered alot, I love it!
i had a 327 with rhodes lifters too, back in 1986:D mine was in a corvette though. had a buddy with a ss el camino had a 400 small block in it. bad little ride.

rottenronnie said:
A lot of it.
They are a high bleed-down design lifter and that's why they clatter; (similar to the old Rhodes style performance lifter). They make the cam seem smaller than it is, to help pass emissions.
I like the rattle...It makes them sound like a gigantic Slant Six!
(My apologies to those that don't know what that is)...
That is exactly what I thought it sounds like too!
Once you have heard a Slant Six you will never forget that Clattering sound.
It's in the blood, Mopar Blood.
500H V10

mauiSRT/10 said:
.........I have come to embrace and love the tone of my lifters!!!! :D LOL

patrick
I agree. I kind of get a pudgie when I hear it.:dontknow:

Back