Comp Cams info

mmmmtorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had any data on the Comp Cams part #111-000-10 VIP3 2003UP Viper/Truck Special Roller?

Its getting installed in my truck

I would be dyno tuning today if they didnt fu*k up the install of the cam sensor...they didnt check the cam gear location and broke the end of the sensor when it started...Idle was a little rougher but no a serious V8 lope, it did sound meaner though..

Should be dyno tuning this weekend or early next week, depending on when the part comes in.

There isnt anything in Viper Alley, VCOA, NFFF or here.....

Gross lift Intake .528 Exhaust .536
Duration Intake 218 Exhaust 224
Lobe lift .330 and .335 with seperation of 114

Picked up a set of replacement lifters from hennessey but didnt note the mfg.

Last edited by a moderator:
No tuning this week :( One of the new lifters was bad....sooooo have to order another set of head gaskets and replace it.

Will post up results later next week.

That sucks, looks like the Hennessey recommended parts are failing in quality :(

Are you still gonna use those lifters?

RedRamRules said:
That sucks, looks like the Hennessey recommended parts are failing in quality :(

Are you still gonna use those lifters?

Yea, going to use the lifters that are in there and replace only the bad one. Just sucks because now I am 3 weeks without my truck what should have been a week. They phucked up the cam sensor and then the lifter....anyway hoping or some good numbers to offset the delay ;)

ViperTruck2933 said:
I thought our roller style lifters didn't have to be replaced when upgrading the cam?:dontknow:

Unless the application calls for a different ratio, you don't have to. If you do it as an elective upgrade, you really need to step up to the upper end of the spectrum to make a difference over stock. The stockers are pretty decent, so a substantial upgrade is needed to achieve a discernable difference. Valve timing/lift/duration precision and high RPM reliability are the principle bennies.

Have read that the stockers tend to float and "lag" at higher rpms. just an old schooler replacing lifters not to mention the manual "requires" replacing lifters when replacing the cam.

Would have been better off not doing it this time but what can you do ? There are alot of lifters on this bitch, guess I won the lottery on failure :dontknow:

Dyno Results

Finally got the truck back together and did some dyno tuning with the new cam.

First off, it was a smoldering day...the DA was showing 3000 !! :(

Figure I can post up another 10-15rwhp easy on a cooler day. Dyno was only correcting 8-10rwhp which is crazy on day like today.

Anyway, after several back to back runs and smoothing out the A/F ratio (which can be a PIA at times with the Vec2 due to the delay in going to open loop)

Got 507rwhp and 515ft lbs (SAE) or 517rwhp and 525ft lbs (STD)

Idle does have some lope to it, nothing like a V8 of course but it does have a little ;) .The whole truck will get a little shake and the shifter dances to the idle :D

Before run (red) is from a tune check about 6 weeks ago., Didnt note the DA but it was about 10-12 degrees cooler but humid.

Attachments

• camdyno.JPG
    camdyno.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 209
1Fast400 said:
Now you need a supercharger

LOL:D

Not right now...pretty much done with mods for awhile....

Short wish list: Caltracs, X-Metal TB, upgrade to next gen shifter, then some bling bling items ;)

mauiSRT/10 said:
Any SOTP change? I bet it sounds way cool!

patrick

Yea, definitely feel a SOTP increase :D Its getting to the "holy shit!" factor, which is what I was shooting for.
;)

Damn! You just created the fastest baby carriage out there!

Congrats on the build up, the numbers look great.

Hows the baby and momma doing?

Stretch

amoparman said:
Damn! You just created the fastest baby carriage out there!

Congrats on the build up, the numbers look great.

Hows the baby and momma doing?

Stretch

Thanks Stretch!

Havent taken the little one for a ride in the SRT yet...Will have to wait until all those soft spots firm up :D

Baby and momma are doing well, he turned 1 month old yesterday. :party:

Hope your new job is going well.. Hows retirement ? :D

mmmmtorque said:
Thanks Stretch!

Havent taken the little one for a ride in the SRT yet...Will have to wait until all those soft spots firm up :D

Baby and momma are doing well, he turned 1 month old yesterday. :party:

Hope your new job is going well.. Hows retirement ? :D

Very glad to hear both are doing so well!:D Yea, will have to wait till the head firms up a bit before you subject him to all those G's in the truck!:burnout:

Retirement is great!! Got my beard going full force now. Wife loves it. And the job, the job is fricken great!! It's just the 80 mile commute in the ride share van that sucks. And not knowing how long its going to take to get home in the afternoons because of traffic.

Will have to make a trip back down there and make some time to come and visit you and the family. Or you guys will just have to take a vacation up here in the VA Beach area. Now that Smoke's moved, I'm all alone up here:( .

Have a great weekend

Stretch

So how much did this set you back brudda?? Parts and install.... :dontknow:

Craig said:
So how much did this set you back brudda?? Parts and install.... :dontknow:

I got a deal on the cam but normally its around $500-600. Lifters, $300, Gasket kit $265, $1200 labor. If you dont replace the lifters then labor could be less, just depends on your shop. $50 oil, filter....I could have knocked it out myself, but would have had to go out and upgrade to a better torque wrench and spread the job out over several days (new baby in the house keeps me busy ; ) )

I tune it myself, so had to pay $100 for dyno time (was on it a couple of hours)

So $2500 ballpark........ Figured its about the same as purchasing and paying someone to install a set of long tube headers.

You could knock it out for around $1000 to do everything yourself.

1Fast400 said:
hehe, what's a better baby shower gift than a Cam for the truck???

Thanks Mike!!! Thats an incedible gift, although I would like to pay you back in some way, $ or time. If you ever need anything, let me know.

If it wasnt for Mike, his connections and incredible generosity, I would be down about 50rwhp from where I am today.

Not bad at all.... congrats on the lil one mang!! :rock:
mmmmtorque said:
I got a deal on the cam but normally its around $500-600. Lifters, $300, Gasket kit $265, $1200 labor. If you dont replace the lifters then labor could be less, just depends on your shop. $50 oil, filter....I could have knocked it out myself, but would have had to go out and upgrade to a better torque wrench and spread the job out over several days (new baby in the house keeps me busy ; ) )

I tune it myself, so had to pay $100 for dyno time (was on it a couple of hours)

So $2500 ballpark........ Figured its about the same as purchasing and paying someone to install a set of long tube headers.

You could knock it out for around $1000 to do everything yourself.

did you upgrade your valve springs. i have been told with that lift of cam you gonna want to. if so, what springs did you use. are your rockers still stock?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back