Spark Plugs for N/A engines

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some searching, I found that most of the recommendations for upgraded plugs were coming from folks with some type of power-adder already on their ride (N20, supercharger, turbo(s), etc.).

I just checked one of my stock Champion plugs and it looks great, but I am considering an upgrade.
My truck is N/A, so super-cold plugs aren't really necessary.
I will, however, be indexing the new plugs.

One of the members here graciously gave me his old set of NGK Iridium's (model: BKR7-EIX) that only had a few hundred miles on them.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp?mode=nml

To further add to the mix, I have a motorcycle buddy that swears by the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/SparkPlugs/Platinum4
Can the Viper engines handle multi-electrode or multi-ground strap plugs?

I was hoping to get all the info together and maybe do a set of back-to-back-to-back dyno runs comparing just the plugs.

Any suggestions on plugs for N/A engines is welcome.

I had a large write-up on this.... then closed FF on accident. :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway... Use NGKs. Most muti-electrode plugs are junk, IMO. This includes Bosch +4 and +2, Splitfires, and others that I have tried. Most websites say that you should not install M.E. plugs in a vehicle that didn't come with them from the factory (one example, NGK's site HERE, has an explanation.)

NGK's are good plugs (much better than any Bosch plug, as far as I'm concerned). Most of the ASE Cert. Tech's that I know use them exclusively as well.

Champion's aren't bad either. :dontknow: I've always had good luck with them in push-rod engines. :)

for what ever reason bosch do not run very well in chrysler vehicles... i get probably a car a week with a driveability issue due to bosch plugs

Thanks Jake.
I'm thinking that indexed Champions (models 7034 or 3034) might be the best way to go and still stay within bounds of the warranty...heh heh.
BTW- the plug that I pulled last night was indexed (I marked it before I removed it). By chance or not, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. LOL

Thanks for the link Stinker. I cruised all over that site last night. Good info and good deals.
The only thing I didn't find was the NGK BKR7-EIX plug.

Thanks Robert. I heard that on several other Dodge/Chrysler forums as well, in a variety of engines. It seems that the Vipers and other higher-end/larger displacement engines have almost a zero problem/failure rate with the "long nose" Champion plugs.

FURTHER INFO:
The service manual states that spark plug gap for the Viper engine should be between .033" and .038".

Wouldn't a larger gap. like 0.040 - 0.045 be OK, I use those for chevy and ford big blocks, they run great.

Also thanks Kevan for the thread, I've been meaning to replace my plugs and would like them for a N/A only setup as well.

Kevan said:
Thanks Jake.
I'm thinking that indexed Champions (models 7034 or 3034) might be the best way to go and still stay within bounds of the warranty...heh heh.
BTW- the plug that I pulled last night was indexed (I marked it before I removed it). By chance or not, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. LOL

Thanks for the link Stinker. I cruised all over that site last night. Good info and good deals.

No prob. :)

MMmmmmm.... Iridium IX's!!!! :rock: Yummy. :D ;)

Advance has them for $12.99.... :eek: :eek:

Let's see.... Try HERE :rock:

Sparkplugs.com has them too... HERE ;)

Last edited:
Kevan said:
Thanks Jake.

Thanks Robert. I heard that on several other Dodge/Chrysler forums as well, in a variety of engines. It seems that the Vipers and other higher-end/larger displacement engines have almost a zero problem/failure rate with the "long nose" Champion plugs.

FURTHER INFO:
The service manual states that spark plug gap for the Viper engine should be between .033" and .038".
I'm running the NGK BKR7EIX-11 plugs in my NA truck. I went with a colder plug due to pinging I was getting with my B&G puter. Here is another discussion on the topic if you missed it.
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14961&highlight=colder+plug

Black1 said:
No prob. :)

MMmmmmm.... Iridium IX's!!!! :rock: Yummy. :D ;)

Advance has them for $12.99.... :eek: :eek:

Let's see.... Try HERE :rock:

Sparkplugs.com has them too... HERE ;)
Ahhh....I didn't do a cross-reference. I only checked out the plugs that came up with my vehicle/engine search. I know...I know....SLACKER. :)

Thankfully the NGK's were given to me by another member here, so purchasing isn't necessary.
I should probably buy him a few beers though. Maybe a new #7 piston or something...
:D

SilvrSRT10 said:
I'm running the NGK BKR7EIX-11 plugs in my NA truck. I went with a colder plug due to pinging I was getting with my B&G puter. Here is another discussion on the topic if you missed it.
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14961&highlight=colder+plug
Thanks Silvr.
I'm running an unmodified computer, however. I don't think I need anything colder.

Somehow I missed that other thread. The spreadsheet idea could have worked nicely.

How many miles is appropriate till the OE plugs need changed? Index the plugs means what???

Kevan said:
Ahhh....I didn't do a cross-reference. I only checked out the plugs that came up with my vehicle/engine search. I know...I know....SLACKER. :)

Thankfully the NGK's were given to me by another member here, so purchasing isn't necessary.
I should probably buy him a few beers though. Maybe a new #7 piston or something...
:D

:D ;) :eek:

Kevan said:
Thanks Silvr.
I'm running an unmodified computer, however. I don't think I need anything colder.

Somehow I missed that other thread. The spreadsheet idea could have worked nicely.
The NGK plugs you mentioned BKR7IEX-11 are in the 1 to 1.5 heat range colder. I've had mine in for a while will no ill effects. If you want to stay close to the same heat range, you will need to go with a NGK ZFR6FIX-11. Personally, I would run the "7's" you got for free or just keep the stock Champ's if your stock. Like I said before. The reason I went colder is to minimize detonation due to the advanced timing.

Last edited:
I believe I got my first set from Art Kendrick at Henson Motors in Tx. He had about the best price I could find at the time. Plus, put them in the hemi and caravan. let me see if I can find his email.

here it is [email protected]

I can ask him for a group buy if enough are interested. I already have another new set but no problem setting it up. Probably can do it for both heat ranges.

I'll put this out there and let a professional shoot it out of the sky:

BEST SPARK PLUG SETUP FOR A NORMALLY ASPIRATED DODGE VIPER V-10 ENGINE:
- Champion plugs.
- Either model: 7034 or 3034.
- Gap: .035"
- Indexed.

Anyone want to poke holes in that?

Bone said:
I believe I got my first set from Art Kendrick at Henson Motors in Tx. He had about the best price I could find at the time. Plus, put them in the hemi and caravan. let me see if I can find his email.

here it is [email protected]

I can ask him for a group buy if enough are interested. I already have another new set but no problem setting it up. Probably can do it for both heat ranges.
He said he would setup a group buy. Let me know if you guys want one and for which NGK plugs and I will get the price. (no financial gain or kickback on my part).

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back