Just lowered my RC, pics included

lbstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent this past Friday and Saturday lowering my RC and wanted to share my overall thoughts on the X-Metal Kit and the entire process. I did this at my buddies shop with a lift which made the entire process go pretty easily. I also read through all the threads in the DIY section and got some good hints and tips. I think I'll post up my overall install in the DIY section as mine seemed to differ slightly then others. By that I mean I was able to do a few things that made the front install go a bit quicker!

Overall thoughts on the kit and the ride; Gary's kit is well put together. I do believe the installation instructions had a step that I didn't have the parts for and that made no sense to me. The instructions call for installing shims in the rear tranny mounts. The kit didn't have shims nor do I see any reason to shim the tranny. I believe this is a step for the QC's and thought the instruction might be the wrong bet but there was no mention of the axle flip required with the QC's! Beats me and this doesn't take away from the fact that this is a fantastic kit thats worth every penny!! I only had a chance to drive the truck the night I finished the install because I woke up the next morning to a light dusting of snow and put the truck away for the winter :mad: My first impression was "WOW"!! The truck looks much better and appears to be the way it should look from the factory. The drop is perfect and at first glance from an untrained eye will not immediatly be able to tell it's been lowered. The truck looks just right and has more of an agressive stance to go with the more aggressive body lines of the truck!! The visual difference is worth the time and effort alone but in addition to the much improved look is a ride thats also improved! This was especially surprising to my buddy who I took for a ride in the truck. He lowered his WRX STI some years ago and complained of a harsh ride after lowering it. The truck on the other hand now has a better spring rate and dosn't "crash" so hard over bumps and pavement imperfections. So far I haven't noticed any bump steer issues or side effects from the sway bars angle being off. I knew the truck was getting put away after the install so I figured I'd let it sit for the winter while the front springs settled a bit before I purchase the JMB end links and install them and get an alignment. I attached a few before and after pictures for your enjoyment. In case you cant tell, in all the after pictures, the truck has snow on it! I will also post a link of the thread to the DIY article once I post it up. It will be short and sweet with some hints and tips to supplement other installs and Gary's supplied instructions. The total drop was 2.25" in the rear and 1.50" in the front by means of measuring the wheel gap.

Derek i could see a difference right away...Looks good man...Damn SNOW
were waking up to 40+ cm of snow...Mine has been under wrap since early
November...Big difference on your ride...Thanks for sharing...:rock:

As always, great job bro....

Looks like you need some new sneakers on that rig though. ;)

Looks Good!

Congrats

Two flat washers came with mine to shim the trans with. My instructions say to use them. I have a RC, and bought the RC 1/2+ lowering kit from boomer. I should also say that I still have not installed it.

sleeper said:
Two flat washers came with mine to shim the trans with. My instructions say to use them. I have a RC, and bought the RC 1/2+ lowering kit from boomer. I should also say that I still have not installed it.
Get it done, you will really like it.:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

sleeper said:
Its not as difficult as you may think! Access to a lift really didn't make as big of a difference as I thought. This is something you can do in your driveway. Like everyone has said, the toughest part is removing the front bump stops, and thats not even as big of a deal as I thought. I do need to find out from Gary about shimming the tranny! Maybe he can chime in here!

TREKER said:
As always, great job bro....

Looks like you need some new sneakers on that rig though. ;)
Yup, gonna get some new ones this winter. I've got just over 20K on the factory set! I guess the first owner babied her 'cause I sure as hell dont!! When I take the wheels off, I wanna send them out and have them permastar coated and get some brakes that dont dust up the wheel so f'ing fast!! If my budget allows it of course!!

So, when are you lowering yours?? Me and my buddy can do it in a day if ya wanna come up to CT!! I usually hook him up with some cash for using his garage and tools but I'll help ya out just 'cause I'm a nice guy!! I bet we can get the entire truck lowered in 4 or 5 hours after we kinda figured everything out with mine! Just a thought. Hell, this goes for anyone in the NE area. My buddy was excited to see how easy it was to install the kit and this is their slow season so I'm sure he can squeeze a few SRT's in!! He loves working on the trucks and I'm always glad to help out too.

Last edited:
Truck looks way better Derek.............Boomers kit has just the right amount of drop to give it a "racey" look.......way better IMO.

Snow already......bummer!

patrick

lbstone said:
Its not as difficult as you may think! Access to a lift really didn't make as big of a difference as I thought. This is something you can do in your driveway. Like everyone has said, the toughest part is removing the front bump stops, and thats not even as big of a deal as I thought. I do need to find out from Gary about shimming the tranny! Maybe he can chime in here!
I just haven't made up my mind if I want it or not. Thanks for your write up on it. It will help alot I'm sure. If I do ever install it.

sleeper said:
I just haven't made up my mind if I want it or not.

hells yes you want it!!! i recently cut both right side tires and went up to a 45 (all around) instead of 40's. that made the drop seem even lower (filled up fender space) w/o actually going any lower...and derek your 10 looks great...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back