# of people with loose crak bolt problem

have you had a crank bolt problem????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BAD-RC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to get a number of people that have had a crank bolt problem so I can show my dealership that its not just me. thanks

It is a widely know problem amongst the Viper truck crowd on the '04's and early '05's. I have one of the first '05's and thanks to the forum I knew to look for it. At my first oil change I reached up in there and could turn it by hand. A little blue loctite and a torque wrench and all is good.

Don't mess with the hood...crawl under the front end...reach up and see if the bolt is loose. If it is tighten it. You might want to add a little Loctite (blue) too.

If it falls out, you will probably have to replace your crank, serpentine belt and everything that got shredded when the belt comes apart.

I noticed my power steering acting up this weekend when I was sitting still. Has this been a first symptom of the pulley?

Yes it could be...crawl under there and tighten that bolt!

Thanks, I'll check it this evening! If it is loose, I'll answer the poll afterwards. Which locktite should be used?

kennygene said:
I noticed my power steering acting up this weekend when I was sitting still. Has this been a first symptom of the pulley?
Power steering pumps are also a known problem on these trucks. I've had mine replaced.

Yup messed my crank up, but it was within 30 days of buying it, so it got covered under warranty.

kennygene said:
Thanks, I'll check it this evening! If it is loose, I'll answer the poll afterwards. Which locktite should be used?

Use Loctite 246. Loctite 242 is too weak and since it's a milky blue, it could be WRONGLY considered the right one. 246 is a darker blue but be advised, heat breaks it down. 272 is red and.. pretty much an overkill.

Last edited:
Venom Power said:
Use Loctite 246. Because 242 is too weak and since it's a milky blue, it could be considered to be the right one. 246 is a darker blue but be advised, heat breaks it down. 272 is red and.. pretty much an overkill.
wanna piss someone of put red loctite on there lug nuts:marchmellow: :argh: :D

Now, back to this crank bolt pully thingy.. I never had a problem on my '04 that I am aware of. She HAS been in for clutch replacement/upgrade and stuff, some minor warranty work like leaking oil lines and TB sensor issues long ago, but never crank pulley bolt. Unless they checked it back then and remedied it before it caused serious problems.

DevilDawg3097 said:
wanna piss someone of put red loctite on there lug nuts:marchmellow: :argh: :D

Put red Loctite on their croch nuts.. Yeah that'll do it. Start with FatJack's to match his truck color. LOL

I'll check my truck tomorrow, Got into the beer tonight!

mine took a dump at 36,000 mi dodge replaced the cranck under warrenty
joe:rock:
oh sorry 04 r/c

kennygene said:
I'll check my truck tomorrow, Got into the beer tonight!

Don't drive it until you check it. Mine is pinned now. But I still have the habit of checking it every time I change the oil filter (every 3K). Then I continue with the filter removal and promptly drop the filter in the oil catch tray and splash old oil all over my face.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back