Best oil for tranny and diff??

travsrt10

Reaction score
im looking to do a oil change on my rear diff and transmission, the manual says to use 75/80w for transmission and i think 90w for rear end, and one bottle of limited slip oil, i was thinking of doing %100 lucas oil in the rear and and myabe mix with %20 for transmission. What have you guys done? or recomend? money is not a issue just want the best oil possible. thanx

For the trans use Mobile 1 ATF or equivalent syn ATF in another brand....No, not a mistake...use ATF...trans will shift much smoother....and the mfg of the trans recommends syn ATF only......Chrysler only recommends gear oil because it will be quieter.....

TNVIPER said:
For the trans use Mobile 1 ATF or equivalent syn ATF in another brand....No, not a mistake...use ATF...trans will shift much smoother....and the mfg of the trans recommends syn ATF only......Chrysler only recommends gear oil because it will be quieter.....

Note taken!

I have run RedLine D4 for over 5 years with good results...check the timeslip section. The truck now has 54,000 miles on it .

OK sounds good.. ill try to find Mobile 1 ATF.. if not i no for sure theres castrol and penzoil at the local parts store. Now i guess the rear end would still be gear oil then rite?

travsrt10 said:
OK sounds good.. ill try to find Mobile 1 ATF.. if not i no for sure theres castrol and penzoil at the local parts store. Now i guess the rear end would still be gear oil then rite?

Use a 90W synthetic gear oil....brand is a matter of opinion......you may need to add a couple tubes of limited slip friction additive if the gear oil does not already have it...

I dont think there is a straight 90w synthetic oil on the market. i use 75w-140 synthetic in the diff with 2 bottles additive

TheMoparConnection said:
I dont think there is a straight 90w synthetic oil on the market. i use 75w-140 synthetic in the diff with 2 bottles additive

Manual says Mopar 90W.....seems ike I put 75W90 Royal Purple in mine..

your rear axle oil you should treat as you do your engine oil,

the hotter the climates , go thicker, the cooler or moderate temps you can drop it down a little, I usually run the thicker no matter what, that way you are good and covered, wehre you would want to pay really close attention would be the extremely cold climates of winter,

yeah the manual does say 90W, I been using 75w-140 only because thats what the Dana60 has always called for and I wanted to use a thicker fluid.

Back