Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!
I'm doing an exhaust manifold swap (top secret test project in the works). As I removed the manifold, I expected the gasket to stay in place: either on the manifold itself, or on the block.
It didn't.
The gasket is very thin metal, and...as a bonus...there are individual gaskets for each outlet!

Upon reassembly, how are these supposed to be aligned/stacked?
Are the single gaskets just shims for proper spacing?

I'll guess here:
-Block
-single gasket
-5-hole gasket
-single gasket
-Exhaust Manifold

The service manual just says "replace the gasket". No specifics or details at all.
Any help is appreciated. TIA.

A stock gasket is fused together, which makes it easy for installation ;)

I dont remember the layers but that sounds correct. Would recommend replacing it but if you dont have the time, then just becareful torquing down the manifild and double check for leaks.

If it fell apart like a deck of cards when you removed it... replace it..they are about 20 bucks from the dealer....at least that is what I paid when I needed one and was in a pinch... maybe Dragon can get you a better deal on it.

I dont recall the part number, but do remember that the ones from our trucks or Vipers (duh...) were the same ones...

Last edited:
Def replace - they aren't separate new. Now - did one of the metal gaskets fall on your starter and make a nice little light show?

Don't ask me how I know! ;)

womsterr said:
Def replace - they aren't separate new. Now - did one of the metal gaskets fall on your starter and make a nice little light show?

Don't ask me how I know! ;)

No light shows on mine... but I had the battery disconnected also... :p

hahah...battery disconnected eh? otherwise known as the CORRECT way. I figured WTF do I need to disconnect the battery for? hehe

azpyroguy said:
No light shows on mine... but I had the battery disconnected also... :p

I did not disconnect my battery cable the frst time I did headers on the silver truck and my entire engine and trans melted. :D ;)

I have not been able to get it running for over 2 years now.

FSTJACK said:
I did not disconnect my battery cable the frst time I did headers on the silver truck and my entire engine and trans melted. :D ;)

I have not been able to get it running for over 2 years now.

LMAO!!! Normally I wouldn't have had the battery disconnected either, but just as I was getting ready to do mine we had a similar thread to this one so I did...sure is a good thing, them little buddies fell all over the starter.

Kevan said:
No light show. Just the sound of tinkling metal.

Here's a pic of the main gasket and the single gaskets:
http://www.tremol-no.com/images/woodblock/srt-10/manifold/P1000797.JPG

All of the gaskets are whole and in decent shape.
Nonetheless I'm calling the dealer now to check on how many days/weeks it'll take to get two new gasket sets here.

Yeah.. you will be much happier with new gaskets... (you wont know it until you have tried the old ones and they leaked....) It was worth the 40 bones to just replace em and know that I had a good set.

Dealer can order the gaskets. 3-5 days for them to get here.
Unfortunately, I need the truck during those 3-5 days.
Fortunately, I won't have the old ones on very long. The new "exhaust manifolds" should be here in less than 2 weeks.

AZPro- were your manifold bolts torqued to 200 in-lbs. when you had the leaking?

Kevan said:
Fortunately, I won't have the old ones on very long. The new "exhaust manifolds" should be here in less than 2 weeks.

AZPro- were your manifold bolts torqued to 200 in-lbs. when you had the leaking?

check w/ dragon, he might have them in stock or cheaper, and can get them to you in less then 3-5 days :dontknow: ...

-red

Kevan said:

I was not leaking at the manifolds/header flanges... since I just simply replaced the gaskets... I was leaking at the collector where it connected to the mid pipe...

Thanks AZpro!

RedSrt007 said:
check w/ dragon, he might have them in stock or cheaper, and can get them to you in less then 3-5 days :dontknow: ...

-red
This was very good advice. :D
Parts will be here on Friday, and Dragon saved me a ton of cash vs. my dealer (who's got okay prices).

Thanks Patrick and Patrick!

Here's the deal with the exhaust manifold gaskets:
-There is one main gasket, with smaller single gaskets that are spot-welded to the main one. The "single gaskets" are mounted in front and back on the 4 rear; there is a double-front on the 1st cylinder on each side.
- The flange on the gasket mounts toward the exhaust manifold.

TIPS:
- REMOVE THE NEG. BATT. CABLE!!! See previous posts about sparking light shows.
- Remove the plastic fender well covers!!! This provides EXCELLENT access on both sides, and the oil dipstick tube doesn't have to be touched on the pass. side.
- Shoot the (3) collector flange nuts with some WD-40 or similar. Let it soak for an hour. It will save you a ton of time and mucho pain/effort.
- Do the collector bolts FIRST, then do the manifold bolts.
- Remove the manifold bolts one by one, and don't let them fall. I lost one for 40 minutes (found it hiding in the top of the bump-stop cup).
- Use a piece of wood to hold the manifold in position, or at least protect other parts in case the manifold falls. I used a small piece of 2x4 between the underside of the manifold and the frame.
- If the gasket falls out and scatters, make sure you have all the pieces: (1) main gasket, (11) single gaskets. Some of the single gaskets may still be connected to the main gasket.

I'll get some installed pics into this thread later.
Thanks everyone for your help!

CORRECTION!

The "single gaskets" are mounted in front and back on all cylinder ports! Two (2) of the "single gaskets" on the back/block side of the main gasket, and one (1) of the "single gaskets" on the front/manifold side of the main gasket.
(4) layers of gasket in total for each cylinder.

REMEMBER: When the gaskets are removed, the spot welds for the singles will probably have broken, so the single gaskets will scatter everywhere. Once removed, do a piece count to make sure you have them all. (1) main gasket, and (15) single gaskets.
(I just found a couple laying on the lower crossmember support)

Pics sometime in the next 12 hours.

Kevan said:
CORRECTION!Two (2) of the "single gaskets" on the back/block side of the main gasket, and one (1) of the "single gaskets" on the front/manifold side of the main gasket.
To quote the great Willy Wonka:
"Strike that. Reverse it". :)

The gaskets only go on the exhaust manifolds one way courtesy of the bolt hole pattern.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back