HELP! NEED ADVICE..INSTALLING 1" BLOCKS

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't get the axle to separate from spring pack. i have removed u bolts, put frame on jack stands, put hydraulic jack underneath axle and lifted tire 2" off the ground, can't create any space. do i need to remove that center nut from the bottom plate?:dontknow: THIA

okay got the center nut off and got some separation...now what about that pin /bolt? and i guess i have to remove the spring? i'm doing this in my garage..will spring pack come off easily? well, now i realize the center pin/bolt won't be long enough when adding the extra inch f&*%! am i missing something? no way the center pin/bolt will come out.

Last edited:
just lowered myne last week mate. leave the centre nut on put a cro~bar inbeetween the axle and leafspring and hit it hard... it might take a couple of hits .becarfull as the leafspring will drop alot so put a axle stand underneath

just lowered myne last week mate. leave the centre nut on put a cro~bar inbeetween the axle and leafspring and hit it hard... it might take a couple of hits .becarfull as the leafspring will drop alot so put a axle stand underneath
Today 12:38 PM
well...the center nut/bolt runs throught the leaves and holds the bottom plate on against the axle tube:dontknow: anyways i took off the nuts (there were two),managed to get the spring pack to drop far enough to slip block in, lining the leaves up was a PITA.. they shift around.have on side done,won't be able to put center nuts on that center bolt (not long enough now)...time for some cuervo:
SANCHOBA, Where did you get your grill with the SRT logo?
its a street scene grille painted semi-flat black with a charger srt badge on it.

Last edited:
SANCHOBA said:
well...the center nut/bolt runs throught the leaves and holds the bottom plate on against the axle tube:dontknow: anyways i took off the nuts (there were two),managed to get the spring pack to drop far enough to slip block in, lining the leaves up was a PITA.. they shift around.have on side done,won't be able to put center nuts on that center bolt (not long enough now)...time for some cuervo: its a street scene grille painted semi-flat black with a charger srt badge on it.

Do not remove the center bolt/nut from the spring pack!!!!!!!!!!!

:dontknow: So, were you running back and forth between the garage and computer with dirty hands smelling like grease and GO-JO?:confused:

mechanix gloves...LOL, but they didn't keep me from smashing my middle finger:D

after thinking about this some more,i guess the center pin/bolt was just rusted stuck where it fits in hole under the axle.i'll try a different approach on the other side.:idea: LOL

SANCHOBA said:
after thinking about this some more,i guess the center pin/bolt was just rusted stuck where it fits in hole under the axle.i'll try a different approach on the other side.:idea: LOL
The bolt/axle pin are a tight fit. Everyone who has lowered has been through this. What I did was, with the U-bolts loose and after jacking the rear end up a few inches. Take a hammer and chisel or some kind of wedge and drive it between the axle perch and spring. This will pop it loose. :dancing2: It will happen "all of a sudden" so stay clear of it and make sure the truck is properly supported.

SANCHOBA said:

:D:D yup....no worries, I did the same thing the 1st time :) live and learn....after doing 6 trucks later, I feel like an idiot about first time :eek:

-Red

i just lowerd mine yesterday,donot remove the bottom bolt,once you take off the u bolts use a 5lb hammer and hit the side of the leafs and it will pop loose BUT BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IT WILL DROP DOWN FAST AND WILL INJURE YOU,I ALMOST CRUSHED MY ARM!!! AND ALSO IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GO WITH A 2 INCH BLOCK.

dcrow said:
AND ALSO IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GO WITH A 2 INCH BLOCK.
1 inch blocks look good. 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 makes it level. 2 inches sets the rear slightly low. Still looks good but tire to fender distance is lower in the rear with the 2 inch drop. At least that's how my truck was affected. I swapped out the 2 inch for 1 1/2 inch blocks.:rock:

LOOK AT BOOMERS KIT WITH A 2,4.
SO BASICALLY IF YOU JUST LOWER THE BACK IT SHOULD BE AROUND 2.
I MEASURED MY REAR VERSUS THE FRONT AND THE REAR IS HIGHER BY ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH.
MY TRUCK LOOKS GOOD WITH THE 2 IN. BLOCKS.

all i can say is DAMN!!! that red with the stripes and black grill is badazz!!!

all done!:dancing: second block went in and was done in two hours! took me all day on the first one! LOL some observations and advice:

dos':

remove wheel and tire, much more room and you actually don't have to get under the truck (much safer)
use jack stands of course
spray some PB BLASTER or equivalent on threads and where bolt/pin is inserted in bottom of axle tube. (this gave me the most trouble, i could have sworn the pin/bolt was threaded or attached to axle tube)

don'ts:
take off the nut in the center of bottom plate, this holds all the leaves together in-line

truck fender well is 3/4" higher in rear now, front actually raised a 1/4"!

next: performance friction pads on the front!:rock:

Attachments

• DSC00380kit.jpg
    DSC00380kit.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back