04-05 PCI Data Bus Audio Upgrade

Da1Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Thread will be dedicated to the Install and Upgrade of the Audio System in Peggy’s 05 SRT-10 CE # 19.

Before we get going, YES, I know that all the below could be accomplished with Modern Aftermarket Radio Heads for a LOT Less Money. However, it would NOT look like a Factory Assembly Line Install, which is my MAIN Requirement. I don’t want it to look like a MOD. I want it to be Completely Invisible.

History: The Truck came with the “Standard†Infinity Audio System and 6 CD RBQ Radio Control Head. Everything Works Great but I wanted the Uconnect Bluetooth “Hand’s Free†option that looks like the Factory Assembly Line Install that I have on my 06 Mineral Gray QC.

I also wanted GPS Navigation, Sirius Radio, and iPod Connection, all of which HAD to look as though they were Assembly Line Installed. This presented a Major Problem as I could NOT find anyone that had done ALL of them together and had it work Successfully, as the 04-05 has a PCI Data Bus and the components do not “Play†well together. Additionally, getting the devices to display the “Artist Information†correctly on the Radio Control Head threw another wrench into the mix. Any of you that have gone down this road know Exactly what I am talking about.

My Requirement for Assembly Line Fit and Finnish left me with only two options for Radio Control Heads, the RB1 or the RB4. After just a little research the decision to go with the RB1 was easy. The RB1 decision presented another problem. When the GPS Navigation DVD is being used the unit can NOT play any CD(s). As I did not want to “Settle†for this limitation I was then “Forced†to add the External 6 CD Player to the “Daisy Chain†of equipment.

After Extensive Research and Web Searches I found only One Man that could do the job correctly and achieve the Assembly Line Install look and have Complete Functionality. His Name is Ted Harris. He is the Former General Service Manager of Rick Hedrick’s Dodge in Charleston SC. He now owns His Own Shop in Moncks Corner SC. For those of you that go back far enough on this subject, he one of, if not the main developer of the “Jet†Cable that allowed the Factory Install Look of the above component integration on the CAN Data Bus. So his “Bona Fides†has been Well Established on the subject.

Now to the Equipment to be used and Why…

Again this is for the PCI Data Bus and the Part Numbers used are Very Specific. Any Deviation may result in the system NOT working properly.

New Wiring Harness that will allow all the components to Work and “Play†together as a Complete Unit. This Wiring Harness is Designed and Made by Mr. Ted Harris (noted above).

RB1 Radio Control Head (For the reasons listed above). It also Provides the GPS and the Latest Updates from NavTeq will work in the RB1 as well. (Not True for the RB4, you are stuck with 2 CDs that were last updated in 2005)

The Uconnect Module that is required is NOT the Standard one the Dealer Sells as a Dealer Option. The Rear View Mirror must be replaced with one that has the Microphone built into it and has the Uconnect and Voice Command buttons.

6 CD External Player (the one that used the CD Cartridge) and Mounting Kit.

Sirius Radio Module, Roof Antenna, and Mounting Kit

iPod Kit (Again Not the one that the Dealer sells as a Dealer Option. The Newer Ones want you to dial the Radio to a “Special Channel†before it works). The correct iPod Module Kit will be seen as another Device on the Chain just like the CD and Sirius Radio.

There are a couple of Multiplexers that also play into the mix and I will update on them as the Install Progresses.

Awesome...........

Yea, Rick Hendricks Dodge.... He was there for quite a while, he may even be the one that gave it a going over before you got it.. Small World... :) :) :) :)

Keep us updated. :rock:

i need to call you on this sandy...

i may do the same thing...

and bring the rb4 over to the jgc, but i need to make sure all the stuff will work...

i'll give ya a shout later...early evening good?

Dan, You can call Anytime you need to talk... Middle of the Night if needed... :) :) :)

After about 6:30 PM use the home phone number, I live in a Cell Phone Hole.... :)

Will Txt you the Home Number... :)

First I want to thank Mr. Ted Harris. His knowledge and skills has made this possible. He has completed the development of a “New” Wiring Harness that allows proper integration of audio components on the older (2005 and Older) PCI Data Bus (Yes this would include the Dodge Viper as well).

Just to let everyone know, I picked up Peggy's CE on Saturday and to say I am Completely Satisfied would be a Major Understatement. The Components work Flawlessly Together and the Quality of Workmanship on the Installation, in a word is Superb. Unless you absolutely knew that the components were added in as an Upgrade you would swear that they were installed on the Assembly Line during Manufacture. I seriously Can Not Thank Ted enough for doing this for me.

It now has the RB1 AM/FM, GPS/NAV, Sirius Sat Radio, Uconnect Bluetooth Hands Free Phone, 6 CD External Changer, and iPod Integration Kit. Yes All of them are working on a 02-05 PCI Data Bus and before you ask, the Steering Wheel Controls work with every one of the devices seamlessly.

To the Best of My knowledge #19 is now the Only Ride (Truck or Car) with a PCI Data Bus that has all of it working anywhere.

So if you have a 2005 or Older vehicle with a PCI Data Bus and have wanted any or all of these upgrades to your ride it can now happen. His contact information is in the following Link. (Contact info located in Lower Right Hand Side)

Link to Ted's Website Here

Photos of the Components, Install Process, and Working Results are Here.

Very nice work!

Do you know if Ted had anything to do with the uconnect kit that Mopar Super Center offered for the 06 CAN Bus Ram's (SRT with REC radio)? This is the kit that included the factory style autodim/uconnect mirror, uconnect module and a custom made wiring harness. MSC sold the kit for around $500 - $600. I called them last year inquiring on availability and they told me the kit was discontinued because the wiring harness was no longer available. The kit was plug and play except a splice had to be made for power and a ground connection was needed.

Ted is the Original Designer and Creator of the "Jet" Cable (The Original Name of the Cable) for the 06 CAN Bus that was sold by the Mopar Super Center. As you noted it is no longer for sale...

You Now Know WHY I went to him to get the work done for #19's PCI Data Bus. After talking with him on the phone, he said he would be interested in doing it for me. He pulled out his Old Documents and Re-Created what he had done 5 years ago... :) :) :)

So Now the Harness you mentioned is Once Again Available and it has a PCI Bus Twin... Now everyone can have it..... :) :)

Ted is the Original Designer and Creator of the "Jet" Cable (The Original Name of the Cable) for the 06 CAN Bus that was sold by the Mopar Super Center. As you noted it is no longer for sale...

You Now Know WHY I went to him to get the work done for #19's PCI Data Bus. After talking with him on the phone, he said he would be interested in doing it for me. He pulled out his Old Documents and Re-Created what he had done 5 years ago... :) :) :)

So Now the Harness you mentioned is Once Again Available and it has a PCI Bus Twin... Now everyone can have it..... :) :)

Excellent! Once I get my roof sorted out (Mother Nature blew hard), I'll give Ted a ring.

I got a 2005 with stock think rb4 want something else in because over here in the netherlands a usa radio doesnt work well its due differ. freqency you use there so hard to get a station on it ..i want something aftermarket in with navigation and rear view camera

i know its not easy to replace your radio on 2005 so if you guys know how please let me know

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back