05 QC Headliner w/sunroof question

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure I know the answer already and I buckled the headliner but am just curious if anyone who has a QC with sunroof would mind taking a look at the below pics and see if their's is flat as opposed to having a lump under the sunvisors. I had to remove the headliner twice due to water leaks and do not remember binding up the headliner but I must have from what I am seeing. There are two lumps on both the passenger and driver's side, right under the edge of the sunvisor. The headliner in a QC w/o a sunroof is different thats why I am asking for someone who happens to have a sunroof to take a look and compare. Just want to verify for certain that I messed it up and that by chance it is not supposed to be that way. Probably just going to live with it because I am not really up for buying a new one and then taking the interior apart for a third time. At least I stopped the water leak :D

Passenger Side
IMG_20110823_174718.jpg
Driver's Side
IMG_20110823_174650.jpg

I don't have a sunroof but it Looks like both sides look the same. Makes me think it was made like that.
Correction;;;;;;; Mine does have those

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for taking a look. They kind of look the same on both sides as you said and it feels solid so it is good to know it is supposed to be like that.

Mine has started to leak and I thought it was from the cab light by the back windshield or the back window itself but I went through the power washer to see and I looked under the sunroof and saw that there was water coming in there like it was cool....
How do i even try to fix that?

Mine has started to leak and I thought it was from the cab light by the back windshield or the back window itself but I went through the power washer to see and I looked under the sunroof and saw that there was water coming in there like it was cool....
How do i even try to fix that?

im having the same problem.....

Guys sorry for not responding sooner. I don't check the site everyday but I have posted fixes for this on other sites and will repost here what I went through with water leaks. I can tell you right now your water leaks are coming from 3 possible sources, drain tubes, sunroof seal, third brakelight. There is a fourth but unlikely, the satellite radio puck if all others are eliminated. It could be one or could be all of these. Read on and I assure you you will get you water leaks fixed. You will need to try each one and then water test with a hose to see your results.

The post shown below is about the sunroof and how it can cause you grief. There are four drain tubes, 2 in front, 2 in the rear. The front ones drain out about mid way up the front doors inside the jamb under the top hinge. They are black grommets protruding out of the body. You can test these to see if they are clogged by opening the sunroof and pouring some water into the track of the sunroof on both sides. There is also a connecting drain track behind and in front of the sunroof directly under the opening in the roof. This will not get clogged it is a wide troff and simply connects the left and right drains for water coming from from the seal and will direct it to the sides. You will see what I mean if you have to drop the headliner. If the drains are working properly you will see water coming out of the drain tube outlets. If they are clogged you will see water coming out of your grab handles or down you back window if the rear ones are plugged up.

First post on No fun site reference Sunroof drains...

Interesting to see a post on this since I unfortunately just had all kinds of water issues which resulted in the carpets having to be replaced. Anyway, I would just like to add some additional info to this, as cleaning the drains is very good advice. There are also drains in the rear. If you look between your bed and rear of the truck cab you will see two little tubes sticking out. These are the exits for the rear drains. If they are clogged the only real way to get at them is to drop the headliner. Not very difficult to do you just have to take some stuff apart. Remove seatbelt bolts, pull out coat hooks, remove grab handles, front and rear, remove front A pillar trim, remove sun visor screws, unplug sun visor, remove sun visor hooks, remove trip computer screw in rear near windshield, pull on both sides of trip computer to release retaining tabs and unplug the molex connectors, remove all of the trim pieces, where the seatbelts were. When all the trim is removed simply pull down the headliner, it is held up by velcro around the sunroof opening. Also disconnect the rear light connector between the coat hooks. You can also disconnect the third brake light connector, I don't think you have to though if you just rest the headliner on top of the seats. Also check the third brake light seal for leaks, they are prone to leak. You will now see 4 blue tubes, when the headliner is down, coming out of each corner of the sunroof. Pull the black rubber connector off. If you blow in the tube and hear whistling sound it is clear, if not it needs to be blown out.

When water testing the sunroof (closed) you should only see drips coming out of the drain tubes. If you see alot of water then check the seal. Do this by taking a business card and sliding it between the seal and sheetmetal opening. You should have slight resistance when you remove the card. If there is little or no resistance you need to adjust the sunroof by pulling the accordion black fan look thing off from the top on the left and right(mechanism cover) and then loosen the attaching screws, two on each side. Go easy on the mechanism cover it will tear if you are to rough with it. No big deal it is only a $7 part. If only one side is bad then adjust that by loosening the two screws that attach the sunroof glass that are located under the mechanism cover removed in previous step and then slide the sun roof forward or back until the seal gives some resistance on the business card.

I learned this the hard way and $600 in new carpet. Hopefully someone else will read this and not have too.

Link to Dodgeforum site this describes fixing a bad seal on the third brake light. Another area where these things will leak and cause the same symptom. Water running down the back window. When the water comes in it will run along the top rail of the rear window and drip in the same places it will if the sunroof drain tubes are not functioning properly. There is a picture of the seal I used for the third brakelight. If you have trouble getting to it I will repost. Just did not feel like typing anymore since the post is starting to get long.

Ratio of Window to Third Brake Light leakage - Page 2 - DodgeForum.com

Let me know if you guys need further descriptioin or explanation. You will get it fixed. Just have to take your interior apart:D. Also look behind your rear seats for white mold. I had this from it leaking over a long period of time.

i can check in a bit when i go out on mine i dont remember it but at same time i dont use visors very much since i am fairly tall all they do is make it so i only see the hood lol.

There is another possible source of the leak and that is the seal around the back window. If that is the culprit that is a job for a window guy. If you can't fix it with some black silicone then the window has to be removed and because of the super tough urethane seal they use the window will most likely get broken during the removal process. If you have a solid window it is probably fine. If you have slider that could be leaking and I believe that you can fix that. Not sure on the steps becasue I have a solid window not slider. Just pointing another possible leak point out now that I am thinking about it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back