06 SRT-10 paint coming off after 9mo and 5k mi

kcsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 06 SRT-10 brand new in March 2007. After about 6 months, I noticed that the paint on all four of my brake calipers was really faded, and could be easily rubbed off. The paint has the consistency of drawing chalk, and you can easily rub it off with your finger. Calipers are a funkin mess. Since i'm only 9 months in to my 3/36 dodge warranty, will Dodge take care of it? or should i just dump more cash into my moneypit and repaint the calipers myself. pisses my off that the paint job on those calipers is so shitty.

Curiouse how many NR were out there? 392 for sure. I own 190. I'll have to check out my calipers. Money pit! Try a 31 ft Pacemaker. I hit a sand bar last year.
Sorry I can't help you out with the calipers, maybe the dealer will. I'd check it out. Maybe you can help me out? How do you like the B&M shifter. Personally I think its me or the tranny. Did the B&M solve any problems? bobbymac

How many miles do you have on your truck. I own a 04, and my brake caliber still look good.

Bobby, your new name is "the Rambler".

I haven't touched mine but they look chalky as hell. Instead of red, they now look pink. I am also an '06. Maybe they cut some corners to save money on production since sales sucked???

How do you Clean the calipers?

I found that if I use chemicals, they really mess up the red paint.

I use nothing but water and a sponge, or simply wipe them down with a soft rag.

You might get your hands a little dirty these ways, but the calipers will look better, longer.

Don't ever go through car washes!! They use chemicals that will destroy paint over time. The finish on the wheels seem to go first. Then the clear coat on the body.

i painted mine back this summer just for s&g's. used the autozone stuff, no prob since...

ChrisAZ said:
I haven't touched mine but they look chalky as hell. Instead of red, they now look pink. I am also an '06. Maybe they cut some corners to save money on production since sales sucked???
ChrisAZ,

Is there a chance it's our weather? My CE has the same problem. I'm going to make some phone calls. I'll let you know what I find out.

1sicponi said:
Curiouse how many NR were out there? 392 for sure. I own 190. I'll have to check out my calipers. Money pit! Try a 31 ft Pacemaker. I hit a sand bar last year.
Sorry I can't help you out with the calipers, maybe the dealer will. I'd check it out. Maybe you can help me out? How do you like the B&M shifter. Personally I think its me or the tranny. Did the B&M solve any problems? bobbymac

actually, there are less than 392 NRs. they skipped a few numbers in between 1 and 400.

its not you; it's the tranny. i like the B&M alot. made a night and day difference in shifting. mine does make a bit of a rattling noise (especially at high rpm), but i prefer it to stock. i've found that shifting is still a bit of an art with the SRT-10, and i misssed a few shifting during the first 3k miles.

ChrisAZ - mine look pink too.

Hamrhead - i just use water and sponge.

sleeper - i never go through car washes. always done by hand.

Halligan - let us know what you find out.

everybody else - thanks for the input. i'll talk to the dealer next time its in for an oil change.

Pig Spit

There is a product called Pig Spit that is great for detailing, paint, plastic and painted metal.

It is used by the Harley guys a lot.

If you mean me, 1sicponi? I'm just an old man looz-ing his mind. bobbymac

I do not agree with sleepers comment about never taking your car through a professional carwash and chemicals that eat off the paint finish. I own 4 carwashes and I'll bet no ones truck has been washed more than mine and the paint is still in great shape. Any good carwash relies on repeat business and they would not be in business very long if they did what sleeper says.
The worst things I know of on paint finishes are acid rains and magnesium chloride that is used to prevent roads from icing up. Both will eat the paint finish long before any carwash chemical.

update: finally got a chance to take the truck in to the dealer. they took pics of the calipers and sent them to Detroit for review. said they'll have an answer about warranty coverage for me in two weeks.

Soapy said:
The worst things I know of on paint finishes are acid rains and magnesium chloride that is used to prevent roads from icing up. Both will eat the paint finish long before any carwash chemical.

I'll vouch for that - lived 35 years in Northern New Jersey -- Acid rain is the pits - literally! the water spots leave rings around them and a depressed mini crater - it sucked!

FSTJACK said:
There is a product called Pig Spit that is great for detailing, paint, plastic and painted metal.

It is used by the Harley guys a lot.

actually Jack was probably trying not to gross anyone out :) -- it is called Pig Snot and is pretty good stuff -- link is here http://www.jpcycles.com/brand_pigsnot

another is PS21 Wheel Gel or Mequiars Wheel Cleaner

Eastwood has a brake caliper refinishin kit that works well. have it on my '02 Dakota. 4 years old now & still shiney. plan on doin the SRT-10 shortly.

Mine looked like that too. I just gave them a good cleaning and painted them with Rustoleum Crystal Clear. It comes in a spray can so shoot some into the lid and brush it on. It acts like a clear coat and brings back the red color too. The picture in my sig is after the project. I've put many miles on it without problem.
Viper.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back