172 t stat with stock pcm?

trw0042

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new performance flashed pcm from gary over at xmetal. Also bought his 172 Tstat. If there was ever a day where i had to put the stock pcm in, would my car drive fine with the 172 tstat still in? Would it just run cooler?

I think you will be fine. The only differance will be the t-stat opening earlier. The truck might run cooler, but no harm should be done running only the t-stat.

Smoke

It will run cooler as long as your are moving, if you get stuck in traffic it will warm up to what you are use to as the fans will still kick on at the old temp specs. A reprogrammed PCM kicks the fans on just a little earlier. Will not hurt anything.

I think boomer charged me like $480 and that is with the tstat. I know it was under 500. Pretty good price if you ask me. Found one on truckperformance.com that is like 950 with the tstat.

I opted to have boomer get strong on the programming and i will just use octane boost since i only have 91 in the area.

Anyone have a favorite brand of octane Boost?

Octane boost will only give you 7-9 points...as in 91.7 to 91.9.

If you are a die hard and have the cash then go to the local track or speed shop station and throw in a gallon of 100 or 105 octane for every 4 gallons of 91.

Otherwise have him tune it for 91.

;)

trw0042 said:
I think boomer charged me like $480 and that is with the tstat. I know it was under 500. Pretty good price if you ask me. Found one on truckperformance.com that is like 950 with the tstat.

I opted to have boomer get strong on the programming and i will just use octane boost since i only have 91 in the area.

Anyone have a favorite brand of octane Boost?
Union Oil still sells 100-104/octane NASCAR FUEL.
$6.98/gal?

Quick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back