1st 1/4 Mile

caveman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran my first 1/4 mile this weekend. I only made one pass because the shifter walked during the 1st run. My time was an ego buster. I eased out of the hole so I wouldn't break the tires loose. Except when I hit 3500 RPM in 1st, they broke loose anyway and spun all the way through second. I hit the 2nd to 3rd shift, but then missed 4th. (Later the guru's at VTCOA helped me determine the shifter had walked :rock: ).

Elevation: 5000'
60': 2.68 sec @ 26.6 MPH
330': 6.56 sec @ 61.1 MPH
1/8 mi: 9.67 sec @ 79.5 MPH
1000': 12.28 sec @ 95.3 MPH
1/4 mi: 14.54 sec @ 94.6 MPH
Max speed reached: 98 MPH

I was hoping to run a mid to low 13. Eventually I would like to add a shot of NO2 and run a 12. Obviously there is room for improvement at the top of the 1/4, by not missing 4th. How much time that will gain me, I don't know. It also looks like I may be able to lose .5 or .6 during the first 60'. Any feedback, especially for you guys who have experience tracking your trucks, is greatly appreciated.

your 60' needs the most work....fix that and the rest will come easy....maybe go to a track that has some better prep spinning all the way through second at a track is not good...lol

9.65-----15.05
this is the conversion of 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile times so to say the least your time is kinda wierd??? that you missed fourth and still ran fster then your suppose to with that 1/8mile???

Dom, thanks for the response. I suspect my 1/8th time was "artificially" slow because my tires were spinning so much. The 1/8 to 1000' is probably more indicative of what my truck can run. Is there a website or charts somewhere that compare measurements all the way down the 1/4? I also wish I knew how far I had to go when I missed 4th. Did I miss the last 50 feet or the last 200 feet?

i just googled 1/8 mile to 1/4 conversion....we have a sticky one on our site but it does not go that slow lol.....its all in the first 60' get that figurd out and you will be a rocket!!

I am at 2200' here in Edmonton AB and it is tough to get out of 14 seconds! With that 60' time you wouldn't break out of 14 seconds. My best time is a 12.84 and that is with a 125 shot and drag radials! I am still new at drag racing so some practice will help alot! These beasts are a handful to launch!!!

I am at 2200' here in Edmonton AB and it is tough to get out of 14 seconds! With that 60' time you wouldn't break out of 14 seconds. My best time is a 12.84 and that is with a 125 shot and drag radials! I am still new at drag racing so some practice will help alot! These beasts are a handful to launch!!!

What is your best time on street tires? What is your 60' times with the slicks?

I ran my first 1/4 mile this weekend. I only made one pass because the shifter walked during the 1st run. My time was an ego buster. I eased out of the hole so I wouldn't break the tires loose. Except when I hit 3500 RPM in 1st, they broke loose anyway and spun all the way through second. I hit the 2nd to 3rd shift, but then missed 4th. (Later the guru's at VTCOA helped me determine the shifter had walked :rock: ).

Elevation: 5000'
60': 2.68 sec @ 26.6 MPH
330': 6.56 sec @ 61.1 MPH
1/8 mi: 9.67 sec @ 79.5 MPH
1000': 12.28 sec @ 95.3 MPH
1/4 mi: 14.54 sec @ 94.6 MPH
Max speed reached: 98 MPH

I was hoping to run a mid to low 13. Eventually I would like to add a shot of NO2 and run a 12. Obviously there is room for improvement at the top of the 1/4, by not missing 4th. How much time that will gain me, I don't know. It also looks like I may be able to lose .5 or .6 during the first 60'. Any feedback, especially for you guys who have experience tracking your trucks, is greatly appreciated.

Awesome to hear you realigned the shifter and the all is great again!:elefant: Please update your original post with that info so it can help other that search for an answer in the future. That's one of the main objectives of this forum is sharing helpful info.

As stated, your 60ft times are killing you! You should be around at least a 2.0-2.2 so there is close to .5 off your 1/4 there as you said. ON factory type tires you should clean them off after the burnout box just enough to produce a lil smoke. More than that will make them slipperier!!!!
You really have to feather the clutch and gas to make a good 60 on stock tires, applying power liberally:(
A good set of slicks or Drag Radials will make that a thing of the past. I cut
1.8s in a full weight Quad Cab 6 speed on stickys. I cut 2.1 on street tires.
You surely have potential for a mid 13 with a good launch a flawless shifting.

Awesome to hear you realigned the shifter and the all is great again!:elefant: Please update your original post with that info so it can help other that search for an answer in the future. That's one of the main objectives of this forum is sharing helpful info.

As stated, your 60ft times are killing you! You should be around at least a 2.0-2.2 so there is close to .5 off your 1/4 there as you said. ON factory type tires you should clean them off after the burnout box just enough to produce a lil smoke. More than that will make them slipperier!!!!
You really have to feather the clutch and gas to make a good 60 on stock tires, applying power liberally:(

I didn't actually realign it yet :eek: . But I am confident that is the problem. As soon as I make time to pull it apart, I will update my other thread. I agree that this place is the best resource there is for our trucks, and hopefully my experience will help someone else.

If your best 60' on street tires was 2.1, that will be my new goal.

I got out of the hole without spinning the tires. How do I keep it from breaking the tires loose when it gets into the powerband in 1st and 2nd? :dontknow:

I didn't actually realign it yet :eek: . But I am confident that is the problem. As soon as I make time to pull it apart, I will update my other thread. I agree that this place is the best resource there is for our trucks, and hopefully my experience will help someone else.

If your best 60' on street tires was 2.1, that will be my new goal.

I got out of the hole without spinning the tires. How do I keep it from breaking the tires loose when it gets into the powerband in 1st and 2nd? :dontknow:

tire pressure, a real track, caltracs,
and a list of other things

What do you suggest as a starting point for tire pressure?

Also, how much time did I leave on the table by missing 4th?

Who cares about your black turd. Shut up and go make me cheese samitch.

Who cares about your black turd. Shut up and go make me cheese samitch.

Aren't you the guy who was so ashamed of his truck he hid it in a trailer?

And just so you know I care:

Ham-and-Cheese-Sandwich.jpg

1.9's on street tires is possible... i've done it on several different tires...

while every driver has his own tactics, i've found that a good long burnout does it for me... z rated or not...

i have all factory suspension underneath, as well...

gettin' outta the hole should be your goal... hey... that's a good phrase:D

1.9's on street tires is possible... i've done it on several different tires...

while every driver has his own tactics, i've found that a good long burnout does it for me... z rated or not...

i have all factory suspension underneath, as well...

gettin' outta the hole should be your goal... hey... that's a good phrase:D

What RPM are you leaving the line at?

I think Dan got 95k miles abs several hundred passes out of his ;)
My used Centerforce has 20k miles and about 100 passes and highway pulls;)
If you smell clutch, you're doing it wrong,lol.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back