2-amp battery charger/maintainer Duracell

Yes, they got really good reviews. You can't go wrong for $10 each. I picked up two but I have prime so I'll get free shipping. Of course there is free shipping with a $25 purchase so everyone would get free shipping with 3 or more. Enjoy!

That's a good deal for that type of charger, but I'd personally look elsewhere. Yes, it's inexpensive, but a constant 2A output isn't very intelligent about the state of the battery.

I use Battery Tender products and have been very happy with them, not associated at all...

http://batterytender.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions.htm

"4. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?
The Battery Tender Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output voltage of the Battery Tender Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.
Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries. "

HaroldD said:
That's a good deal for that type of charger, but I'd personally look elsewhere. Yes, it's inexpensive, but a constant 2A output isn't very intelligent about the state of the battery.

I use Battery Tender products and have been very happy with them, not associated at all...

http://batterytender.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions.htm

"4. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?
The Battery Tender Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output voltage of the Battery Tender Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.
Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries. "

I believe this model also has the "float" charging mode to avoid overcharging.

the one on amazon has a 3 stage as well. so it is the same as the batery tender

"Maintains and extends the life of a battery in your ATV, snowmobile, motorcycle, car or truck
2-amp constant DC output current
Micro-processor controlled three-stage charging extends battery life
Easy battery connection through three types of connectors provided with the unit: clip leads, DC lighter plug and ring terminals
“Plug and play” charging solution; requires no installation or setup"

Trust me they are not the same.... I deal with commercial grade radio's including intrinsically safe models. As such chargers are very important aspect of my business. My current charger supplier has more software upgrades than Microsoft in a given year. The technology is changing rapidly...like most things now its all in the software.

I have no experience with the Amazon product but the battery tender products are good for consumer usage. CTek would be a better step up with Tecmate Optimate4 as a premium consumer product. It would never pass commercial spec's but it doesn't have the price tag to go along with it.

Seems to me they are contradicting themselves.

Perhaps Amazon's writers are confused, but 2A constant current doesn't seem like 3 stages, so I'm not sure where they are going on that. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Smokey said:
the one on amazon has a 3 stage as well. so it is the same as the batery tender

"Maintains and extends the life of a battery in your ATV, snowmobile, motorcycle, car or truck
2-amp constant DC output current
Micro-processor controlled three-stage charging extends battery life
Easy battery connection through three types of connectors provided with the unit: clip leads, DC lighter plug and ring terminals
“Plug and playâ€￾ charging solution; requires no installation or setup"

Out of curiousity, I went looking for more detail. Xantrex makes this stuff for them - Duracell just puts their popular name on it.

http://www.duracellpower.com/documents/tech-specs/DS20070720_dcell-charger.pdf

Shows that it is a 3 stage unit, so the constant 2A thing must be the f-ing marketing folks screwing up the engineer's product again! HA!!!

So, for a $10 charger, it's sure beats it's competition in the same price range, I'll give you that. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back