2004 RAM SRT-10 clutch/transmission

CDKiernan

Reaction score
Dear fellow members:

My 2004 RAM SRT-10 is my pride and joy. I love this truck and take good care of it. Now the bad news...

Recently, the clutch went out and I had to have it towed to the dealer. Three days later they told me that:

1. My factory warranty ran out in March of this year;

2. The transmission grenaded (apparently from overheating) and I need a new tranny and entire new clutch;

3. The total repair estimate is over $6,800.00; and,

4. As they are on back order, it will take 3 to 5 days just to get the parts.

After spending the better part of the last three weeks trying to get either someone at Daimler-Chrysler or the District Rep to approve what has been referred to as 'good-will assistance" with the cost of this repair, today I was told that the request had received a negative response.

Now, because my truck has less than 25,000 miles on it, and because I have heard that other owners have been struck by the same problems (one who lives in this area and I know personally) I can't help but feel that Dodge's response has been less than appropriate.

So, I would really appreciate any infomration anyone might have on similar incidents or suggestions of what I might try from here.

Thanks very much!

Chris Kiernan
La Quinta, CA

Hey Chris,

I had bad problems when I first got my truck..... Clutch, hydraulics, tranny...the whole shebang..... Dodge was cool cuz I only had 700 miles on it.... I fixed the problems on my own by replacing the entire hydraulics system with the one that comes from the Viper GTS coupe... It's about a $1000 job including labor...

But that's not addressing your issues..... I've been to the dealer in Indio where you are... They din seem to be the kinda dealer that's gonna eat 6 grand for ya...

I really don't know any other recourse... Even an attorney will tell ya that the warranty is expired and Dodge really has no liability here....

They voided my warranty at 1500 miles cuz I put in a Paxton...

I think yer screwed my friend..... Hate to be the bearer of ill tidings....

Maybe one of the other guys has a magic wand... But I'd love to hear it....

Would ya please go by my house off'a Jefferson and Fred Waring... (in the Esplenade) ...I think I left the fkn sprinklers on.... j/k:eek: ;)

Hope you find the magic bullet......

D

sorry to here your loss:( ive read some posts that suggest changing the trany fluid to what termec recomends! i have an 04 also, and i dont like the clutch! i bought it used.(not that that matter:dontknow: ) im still under warranty till December i think. As soon as that is over i want to change to fluid that termec recomends!! Oh yeah id love to do the viper clutch/slave cyl. upgrade but i just cant afford it! Hope i get a raise soon or somthing:confused: im getting nervous now:confused:

In my opinion you should not put a stock clutch into the truck they suck. Recommend you go with a CenterForce clutch, replace the flywheel...add Viper slave and master cylinder. The Tremec 56 is a super transmission so stay with that.

Lots of us have blown the stock clutch...it is the weak point in the drive train.

You are probably out the $6k...not much recourse. But do some research...and I think you will agree that the CenterForce clutch is a much better way to go.

Sorry, and welcome...

Prof said:
In my opinion you should not put a stock clutch into the truck they suck.
I am with the Prof... If you have to replace the clutch out of your pocket. Please go with an after market setup. This way you will not be doing it again in a few years!

Good luck man!

Paul

I had the same thing happen to me at 900 miles(two day after I bought it), then again a 2,000 and then the last time at 6,000(three months old). Dodge refused to fix it the last time, so I got a rep. The dealer was then told to fix it under warranty, but the dealer said I would still have to pay 2,100(labor to put the clutch in). I refused they kept my truck for 5 weeks, until finaly I sent them a letter stating I was reporting the truck stolen and coming with a police officer the next day to get my truck back. The next day they call me and told me to come get it that it was ready, when I got there they were not done and claim the tech that was working on it had to leave but it would be finished soon. I had them put everything they had in the bed of the truck and took it home to fix it my self....

my suggestion to you is the same...

1. get it away from the dealer they are there to screw you, thats what "five" star means
2. remove the tranny and send it to http://www.6-speeds.net/wst_page8.html.
3. get the "viper master/slave"
4. get a performace clutch

for around 3,000$$$ you can have a set up that will handle what ever that you can throw at it....

Last edited:
Are you sure the transmission went bad? What are the chances of the tranny and the clutch tanking simultaneously?

Beware of your dealer, I know mine is a snake in silk clothing... on the surface very professional, but they have taken every opportunity to screw me and two other people I know well, from as little as "skipping" the oil during an oil change, to making mountains out of molehills.

What where the symptoms of the tranny failure? You might just have a bad clutch and the dealer might be turning a $2000 problem into a $7000 deal (for them).

Your warranty is expired, so there is no need to have those sharks look over your truck, find yourself a reputable mechanic and have the truck towed over!

Damn, that deal with 6 speeds.com seems unbeatable. I believe I would get my truck back and look at your other options

BigRed460 said:

1. get it away from the dealer they are there to screw you, thats what "five" star means

for around 3,000$$$ you can have a set up that will handle what ever that you can throw at it....

:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito:

BigRed460 said:
I had the same thing happen to me at 900 miles(two day after I bought it), then again a 2,000 and then the last time at 6,000(three months old). Dodge refused to fix it the last time, so I got a rep. The dealer was then told to fix it under warranty, but the dealer said I would still have to pay 2,100(labor to put the clutch in). I refused they kept my truck for 5 weeks, until finaly I sent them a letter stating I was reporting the truck stolen and coming with a police officer the next day to get my truck back. The next day they call me and told me to come get it that it was ready, when I got there they were not done and claim the tech that was working on it had to leave but it would be finished soon. I had them put everything they had in the bed of the truck and took it home to fix it my self....

That is why this forum rocks! Listen to this man!

My clutch burned up at 3k miles and dealer voided the warranty because he saw me running my truck at the track. Even told me I wasnt hard on it but still voided it.

Upgrade to a centerforce, the viper master/slave hydrolics and find a new mechanic.

patrick

You might have better luck finding what you need on e-bay motors under parts, viper or srt 10. There are a lot of low milage trannys available, some with warranties.

Not that this will help the paint but the clutch is only covered under the 1/12 part of your warranty, so it has been out of warranty 2 years and not a few months.

Mine let go at 10K. I now have the centerforce setup with the cylinders and flywheel.

RE: 2004 RAM SRT-10 transmission/clutch

Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I apppreciate your insight very much. Now, I'm going to go see about getting my truck towed away from the dealer...and possibly pissing all over their showroom floor...

Thanks again!

CDKiernan said:
Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I apppreciate your insight very much. Now, I'm going to go see about getting my truck towed away from the dealer...and possibly pissing all over their showroom floor...

Thanks again!

LOLOL I like this guy:rock:

yeah bro, have the tranny actually checked out locally, it may be fine, if not, have it rebuilt , MMMMTRQ can help ya with that, or ask on the board, someone may have an extra tranny laying around.
but most definitly go with the aftermarkt clutch , and viper parts.

FATJACK said:
Damn, that deal with 6 speeds.com seems unbeatable. I believe I would get my truck back and look at your other options

Sixspeeds.com is top notch. They deal with the Tremec exclusively. They also gaurantee somewhere around 650rwhp that their built tranny will hold up to.

Their customers are real loyal here in Houston and recommend them to everyone, including myself when I had the RC. They will treat you right.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back