2005 QC oldguysrt10 First Dyno Pulls 12/26/07

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dyno is a Mustang and is calibrated quarterly. Knowing the guy that owns the shop I expect he does all he can to ensure his equipment is as accurate as can be expected.

The density altitude was 687'.

Numbers are not SAE corrected.

Best pull was 420HP/493TQ.

The shop doesn't work on Dodges but felt my a/f ratio was really rich. The ratio range was 10.8 to 12.9 with an average of 11.4 from 2800-5200 rpm.

I plan to fax the sheets to DC Performance to see what they can do in the way of improvements on the tune.

All in all none of it means much to me.

Comments?

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:

I plan to fax the sheets to DC Performance to see what they can do in the way of improvements on the tune.

Comments?

oldguy
Your numbers are a lot better than mine were. I had 373 hp. on my stock motor. See if you can get the raw dyno file to send to DC. The raw file allows them to see in a lot better resolution than a flat line pic of the dyno graph. They can get in and see exactly what RPM produced what AFR. It is a bit more precise that way.

oldguysrt10 said:
The dyno is a Mustang and is calibrated quarterly. Knowing the guy that owns the shop I expect he does all he can to ensure his equipment is as accurate as can be expected.

The density altitude was 687'.

Numbers are not SAE corrected.

The shop doesn't work on Dodges but felt my a/f ratio was really rich. The ratio range was 10.8 to 12.9 with an average of 11.4 from 2800-5200 rpm.

Comments?

oldguy

I got 435 Hp and 481 Ftlbs with just a stage 2 and K and N. And My a/f ratios were like 10.5:dontknow:

Annu Kumar said:
I got 435 Hp and 481 Ftlbs with just a stage 2 and K and N. And My a/f ratios were like 10.5:dontknow:

What type dyno were your pulls made on and was it accurately calibrated? From what little I know it appears significant differences result from dyno type, dyno calibration, and dyno loading. In addition to dyno differences there's also density altitude to consider when comparing numbers. Numbers I posted were as stated, "best pull" at d/a 687'. The results variation for my 4 pulls was greater than the difference between numbers I posted and yours. Seems repeatability is also a contributor to minimal real value of just dyno numbers.

Some bright person on this forum said dynos are very useful as tuning tools and for determining trends in performance upgrades but not much else. I'm inclined to agree.

Your truck sounds very rich too. Was the 10.5 average, min, or max? Probably some opportunities for near-trm improvements for you too.

Longer term I'll head to PBJ for heads, cam, and an excellent dyno tune.

Best to you.

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:
What type dyno were your pulls made on and was it accurately calibrated? From what little I know it appears significant differences result from dyno type, dyno calibration, and dyno loading. In addition to dyno differences there's also density altitude to consider when comparing numbers. Numbers I posted were as stated, "best pull" at d/a 687'. The results variation for my 4 pulls was greater than the difference between numbers I posted and yours. Seems repeatability is also a contributor to minimal real value of just dyno numbers.

Some bright person on this forum said dynos are very useful as tuning tools and for determining trends in performance upgrades but not much else. I'm inclined to agree.

Your truck sounds very rich too. Was the 10.5 average, min, or max? Probably some opportunities for near-trm improvements for you too.

Best to you.

oldguy

This was done in on a Mustang Dyno. I did my pulls on a Very COLD ENGINE.
Having it cold helped a lot. We did 3 pulls in third gear (tow haul) First: 432 and 479 ftlbs, 2: 433 and 478 ftlbs. 3: 435 AND 481 Ftlbs I have a stage 2 for 100 octane tune. when we did the dyno I probably had 94 or 95 octane inside. If i had 100 I probably would have picked up about 10 more hp

oldguysrt10 said:
What type dyno were your pulls made on and was it accurately calibrated? From what little I know it appears significant differences result from dyno type, dyno calibration, and dyno loading. In addition to dyno differences there's also density altitude to consider when comparing numbers....................................Some bright person on this forum said dynos are very useful as tuning tools and for determining trends in performance upgrades but not much else. I'm inclined to agree..............................Longer term I'll head to PBJ for heads, cam, and an excellent dyno tune.

Best to you.

oldguy

Your numbers seem very good to me but you are correct....dynos are for tuning.......;)

oldguysrt10 said:

I will have real world comparison of untuned vs tuned after PBJ finishes my engine. Joe will be doing my tune as a house call. :)

I would shoot for 12.8 A/F ratio on non-FI applications, if you are looking for a number.

tinygiants said:
I will have real world comparison of untuned vs tuned after PBJ finishes my engine. Joe will be doing my tune as a house call. :)
I talked with Joe on the phone first time last week. That guy's impressive as hell and is willing to take surprising time on the phone with guys like me that don't know squat. I'm scheduled to take my wife's C6 to him mid-February for tuning. I hope to have my SRT10 to him a year later for the heads and cam. Delay is dollars. Let me know how your truck turns out. Best I can tell from what I've seen on the forum I can't imagine you not being pleased with his work.

oldguy

Bone said:
I would shoot for 12.8 A/F ratio on non-FI applications, if you are looking for a number.

Thanks for the info.. I'd be out of line pushing a number with Dan at DC but at least it'll give me an idea post-tune as to what to look for on what might be left.

oldguy

Annu Kumar said:
This was done in on a Mustang Dyno. I did my pulls on a Very COLD ENGINE.
Having it cold helped a lot. We did 3 pulls in third gear (tow haul) First: 432 and 479 ftlbs, 2: 433 and 478 ftlbs. 3: 435 AND 481 Ftlbs I have a stage 2 for 100 octane tune. when we did the dyno I probably had 94 or 95 octane inside. If i had 100 I probably would have picked up about 10 more hp

Your pulls were much more consistent than mine.

Where did you get the 100 octane tune?

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:
Your pulls were much more consistent than mine.

Where did you get the 100 octane tune?

oldguy

Dan At Dc tuned my stage 2 for 100 octane. He said it will only get its max performance if i run 100. I assume I have more power than you guys that have the 91 or 93 stage 2:dontknow: I'm getting more timing which translates into more horsepower

oldguysrt10 said:
Thanks for the info.. I'd be out of line pushing a number with Dan at DC but at least it'll give me an idea post-tune as to what to look for on what might be left.

oldguy
No, it's your truck. I'm sure he will be close to that number anyhow if you ask him. Someone like Sean Roe may be more conservative and say 12.5, somebody a little more aggressive like Boomer may say 13.0. Once you get in that range anyhow, very 'tuff to fine tune and keep it there. Different variables every day.

Next, you want to look at timing and what fuel you will be using, like others have said.

oldguysrt10 said:
I hope to have my SRT10 to him a year later for the heads and cam. Delay is dollars. Let me know how your truck turns out. Best I can tell from what I've seen on the forum I can't imagine you not being pleased with his work.

oldguy
Well your Vette will be done before my truck. As you state, Joe is all around nice guy who shares his time and knowledge. I can not wait to meet him and see what he does to my truck.

Bone said:
No, it's your truck. I'm sure he will be close to that number anyhow if you ask him. Someone like Sean Roe may be more conservative and say 12.5, somebody a little more aggressive like Boomer may say 13.0. Once you get in that range anyhow, very 'tuff to fine tune and keep it there. Different variables every day.

Next, you want to look at timing and what fuel you will be using, like others have said.

Thanks for the info.. I sent some detailed info. and requests to Dan with the dyno info.. Looks like there's a pretty good opportunity for improvement. It's running rich, is the 91 octane tune, I've requested going to the 93/assume that's mostly timing, seems to have the old fan cycle files based on exchanges I've seen on the forum versus what I see on the temp. gauge, and has been periodically bumping the rev limiter on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

High quality 93 octane fuel is readily available in our area.

Thanks again,
oldguy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back