3rd gear grinds RC

Srt10t

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having an issue going from 2nd to 3rd gear. In 3rd gear it grinds. Have stock hurst shifter maybe thinking of changing it

You have something bad inside the transmission. A shifter change will not cure your issue. Bad synchro maybe. Would have to see inside. Did this just start. Have seen where 90 wt. was put in a trans that called for ATF and the trans would grind on gear changes.

Last edited:
Yea I was hoping it wasn't internal but yes just started happening

Also only grinds in 3rd gear

Most likely internal transmission. Better to fix it now before causing more damage.

Grinds as long as keep trying to get in gear. I would double clutch and push and then it would go in. couple weeks ago I did 19 1/4 mile runs and missed gear twice, my fault.
Its all about timing. I have also removed the spring that hold it from going into reverse.
I replace my clutch and hyd at 34,000.

Yea I'm thinking it's the synchro will still when it gets pulled

Yea it will grind and if I throw it hard into gear it will go

Grinds as long as keep trying to get in gear. I would double clutch and push and then it would go in. couple weeks ago I did 19 1/4 mile runs and missed gear twice, my fault.
Its all about timing. I have also removed the spring that hold it from going into reverse.
I replace my clutch and hyd at 34,000.

By double clutching you eliminated the need for the synchro. Heavy Class 8 truck transmissions don't have any synchros, so proper procedure is to double clutch every shift. Our transmissions however do have synchros and the grinding of gears on a shift is an indicator of trouble inside the box.

By double clutching you eliminated the need for the synchro. Heavy Class 8 truck transmissions don't have any synchros, so proper procedure is to double clutch every shift. Our transmissions however do have synchros and the grinding of gears on a shift is an indicator of trouble inside the box.

real truck drivers don't even use the clutch after you let it out in low gear….

Agreed. Had Class 1 Lic. long before CDL A was even thought about (1974).

That being said, any transmission mfr. training literature/video has the driver double clutching. I have seen nitwits THINK they can drive w/o the clutch and grind every gear up and down.

:rock::rock::rock:

hell yeah:rock::rock::rock:

or do i use the clutch on a motorcycle:rock:

Agreed. Had Class 1 Lic. long before CDL A was even thought about (1974).

That being said, any transmission mfr. training literature/video has the driver double clutching. I have seen nitwits THINK they can drive w/o the clutch and grind every gear up and down.

i was running MO-FL-MO with my uncle right after high school, then went in the army to "learn" to be a 64Clutch (motor transport operator). thats all they taught was D-clutching. of course some of the people we had in class couldn't "hear" the motor to save their lives. we had one guy who had a PH D. in something, enlisted so uncle sam would pay his college loans. he said he picked truck driving cause it looked easy, he ended up washing out and having to become a grunt. Later on they changed the truck driver MOS to 88Mushbox cause all the new stuff being built was turning into autos

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back