4 or 5 Point Seat Belt Group Buy?

From what I've been seeing lately regarding airbag deployment... SCREW THE AIRBAGS! I think the 5 point harness is better and safer to have.

mopower1958 said:
You really need a roll cage to tie them to. In a severe crash without a roll cage the 5 point will just keep most of the body parts in one place. They do look cool though. My truck is too slow for a 5 point!!!!

Yep you would need a good cage with a seat bar, then new seats like Beards or something along that line. Next your new seats & belts would need to be bolted into your cage. Next getting in & out of 4 or 5 point belts (and race seats) is no fun and to have them work properly or to design they have to be sinched down very tight. Tight enough most of you would not wear them after the fabrication / purchase of the roll cage & purchase of the new seats & belts=lots of money spent for something that would not get used very often. And lets not talk about the weight of a 2inch 120. wall roll cage.

Very, VERY nice, VNM PWRD. :rock:

I agree with most on here.... A roll bar/harness bar is the key. The one VNM PWRD looks to be very nice. :) (They could have triangulated a bar on top of that upper mount though. ;) :eek: ) One question tho: Where does it attach at the bottom? :dontknow:

Silverback said:
I mentioned this when the guy posted this picture.

Those belts would not function correctly in an accident. In fact they would probably do more harm that good.

My guess is that they were just laid in there for the pictures.

I'm guessing that they are attached to the bottom seat-mounts? :dontknow: :confused: :(

(Sorry MUTT).... But, I mentioned that when I saw Mutt's install.... It's not a good idea to have them (ESPECIALLY the upper two straps) running all the way to the bottom of the seats. :(

please keep in mind that in most states, actually wearing five ways or four ways while city/hwy driving is against the law. not trying to be a party pooper, just dont want anybody to get into needless trouble.

i installed mine for looks, period. after having them in now, i wish i would have kept the stock set-up...i used 6 points so it looked uniform and the mounts i mounted to should hold in an accident, 4 of the points are where the seat bolts through the floor and the 2 lap belts use the stock seat belt bolts. i didnt drill any holes to mount them. the only way the seatbelt would fail to work is if the entire seat ripped out of the truck on impact, in which case i believe the seatbelt would be the least of my problems...as far as the day-to-day use of them, they SUCK. once you are strapped in, you cant reach the a/c controls, its hard to turn and look before changing lanes, forget about reaching for the MP3 player, even reaching the red button, you have to strain... thank god for steering wheel controls or i couldnt change the radio station. because of this, i find i use just the lap restraint with the crotch and never hook up the 2 shoulder harnesses, which of course is not a good idea. but if you really want to use them, try to find just a new headrest that would hook in to your stock seats and allow you to have the top 2 holes for the belts to come through. i believe that stock viper seats have these holes??? anyways, thats my take on them, anyone that wants to come a sit in them and take the truck out and see how they work is more than welcome, but i believe you will be very disappointed.

Super input Mutt. This is what this forum is all about...out of the box questions...realistic and experience based opinions...but this does not kill the idea in my mind...the seat replacement idea is still alive, with the practical approach of leaving the stock belt in place for everyday use...the seat replacement probably should include that addition of a cage at the same time???

Silverback said:
I mentioned this when the guy posted this picture.

Those belts would not function correctly in an accident. In fact they would probably do more harm that good.

My guess is that they were just laid in there for the pictures.

All very true

There a bad ideal unless u have a cage. Never would I ride in a 5 point with out a cage.

Prof, I found the perfect seat belt mod for you...:D I'm working on this in the back room and will hopefully have it available for you sometime soon...;) :D

Attachments

• SeatBelt.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 4,497
Texas Yellow Fever said:
Prof, I found the perfect seat belt mod for you...:D I'm working on this in the back room and will hopefully have it available for you sometime soon...;) :D

I like to have at least one titty free if you know what I mean. Gonna stick to std in others words :D :rock: :D

Just wondering if you could take the picture one more time and let me see the belts a little closer together...I presume this is your wife...if not don't tell me, just leave me in my blissful ignorance.

Voodoo said:
There a bad ideal unless u have a cage. Never would I ride in a 5 point with out a cage.

Wondering if this is a safety issue or a convenience issue? Seems that from a safety standpoint it would not be any more dangerous than a regular seat belt?

Just asking...

Prof said:
Wondering if this is a safety issue or a convenience issue? Seems that from a safety standpoint it would not be any more dangerous than a regular seat belt?

Just asking...

I'd have to think that without the 5-point having the means to be structurally secured (as in to a cage) along with the seat, that they would not perform as well as the extensively designed accident restraint system from the factory (pre-tensioning the belts plust the airbags plus the crumple zones). The secondary impact from the contact with improperly secured and tightened belts would be to your detriment.

I say get the cage, seat, and 5-point for racing, but leave the factory belts in place for daily driving.

6-point & chair saved my life

I lost it through the chicane and hit the concrete barrior at about 80mph, totalled my Lightning back in '05. 6-point and chair saved my life. Wholely recommend it for racing. Just make sure the shoulders are tied in good.

Attachments

• crash harness.jpg
    crash harness.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN4036.JPG
    DSCN4036.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 238

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back