45-50 mph pulling

MARCOS909

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been experiencing some problems once I'm going 45-50 mph on the road, my truck starts pulling back and forth. I already changed the spark plugs, oil filter, and oil. Can it maybe be the distributor cap? And when the truck is Idling is shakes, what do you guys think it is? I need help.

Viper engine has no distributor cap. Look for melted wires touching the exhaust passenger side near the valve cover. Maybe change the throttle position sensor.

No check engine light? Hard to diagnose with the information given. Has the truck always done this? How bad is the shake at idle?

I just got the truck and it shakes quite a bit, the engine light is on also.
What do you think it is?

Did you test drive the truck? If its shaking it might need a n alinement as for the motor shaking at idle I'm guessing a good tune up

Take it to the local parts store and have the code read. We can't help you without the proper info. I would check spark plug wires for proper routing...Having one cylinder not fire could make the motor shake.

After sitting for 3 weeks, I hopped in the 10 yesterday to take someone for a spin (pun intended). As I was leaving the house, engine cold, it was bucking like a broncho. After it warmed up, I gave it a few hard runs and it seemed to be back to normal smooth running, no engine light. I saw someone say plug wires on the passenger side? Is that a typical problem? I will check those this weekend and look forward to a non-repeat. The truck is new to me, so I don't know history on tune up / plugs / wires (if ever).

Any autozone will check the check engine light for free

No need to do that. Cycling the key three times will flash the code on the dash. A simple google search will reveal what that code indicates is the problem.

However, I didn't see that the OP mentioned the CEL was on? :dontknow:

After sitting for 3 weeks, I hopped in the 10 yesterday to take someone for a spin (pun intended). As I was leaving the house, engine cold, it was bucking like a broncho. After it warmed up, I gave it a few hard runs and it seemed to be back to normal smooth running, no engine light. I saw someone say plug wires on the passenger side? Is that a typical problem? I will check those this weekend and look forward to a non-repeat. The truck is new to me, so I don't know history on tune up / plugs / wires (if ever).

Sometimes the battery will run down just siting there. Low batteries on Viper/Viper truck PCMs will cause the truck to run poorly until it's charged back up. That's what it sounds like to me.

Sometimes the battery will run down just siting there. Low batteries on Viper/Viper truck PCMs will cause the truck to run poorly until it's charged back up. That's what it sounds like to me.

Thanks, I do recall it cranking slower. Hope it is a simple as that. :confused:

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the poor information. I just got the truck and don't really know much about the engine. I have changed the spark plugs, oil filter, and oil.
I turned the key 3 times and got an P 0300 engine code, does this mean I need to change the wires?

P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MIS-FIRE - Did you change the plugs/plug wires yourself? I would check the plug gap and the routing of the plug wires first. Could have the wrong wire on the wrong coil or plug.

P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MIS-FIRE - Did you change the plugs/plug wires yourself? I would check the plug gap and the routing of the plug wires first. Could have the wrong wire on the wrong coil or plug.

The plugs were connected incorrect, but I fixed everything now the truck dosen't shake or hesitate no more and the check engine light is off also :rock:

Back