456 or 488

Reaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got an 04 srt10 with full exhaust and intake. The stock 410 gears just arent doing for me. I have no plans of going FI.
Im struggling to pick the best gear for me. I enjoy both highway and street. I was wondering if some of you who have gone 488 regret it or some with 456 wish they would go 488 ?

Personally I think 4.56 is the best gear for our 6 speeds. 4.88s could be fun but 1st and 2nd already play hell hooking so it would only be worsened with 4.88s. :driver:

If you plan to go no further than bolt on's and remain very near factory weight, 4.88's are great.

I'm now outside the above. The power I'm making and the weight reduction I've done make the truck hard to drive hard below 40 mph(only traction related).

I'm currently debating going to 4.56's, maybe even back to 4.10's. I'm still looking into a set or 19's or 20's for street use.

Someone post up the "not this shit again" picture for me, I'd do it but I'm on my phone drivine and can't get to it

I love 4.88 discussions!!

The 4.56 is the best all around gear. Whats why they went with 4.56 gears in 05 & 06 RC trucks. It made 5th & 6th gear alot better.

I called Devin at Unitrax and he quoted me $780 for 456 gear setup, $570 for 488 gear setup.. Ive read alot of threads about this gear topic and it just always seems to go back and forth. So that why i was curious (with time past) if anyone regretted their choice in gear 488 or 456..
Im leaning toward the 456. Its been stated 488 is a fun gear around town but sounds like its on ragged edge of highway and practicality for a non-track truck.

lacks bottom end that youd expect and hardly ever use 6th gear.. Just feels like its beggin for more gear than a 4.10.

Have you considered using 5.13's? Lots of the original members used these and loved them. They were super fast on the streets with them. Some members even claimed that they felt like their trucks had big cams in them because of all the extra power - said they really hit a lick!

Have you considered using 5.13's? Lots of the original members used these and loved them. They were super fast on the streets with them. Some members even claimed that they felt like their trucks had big cams in them because of all the extra power - said they really hit a lick!

O'boy :boxing:

Where are all the old owners trucks for sale with 5.13's?

I drove a truck with 5.13s and that's why I'm selling mine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back