48RE Transmission Problems

CantEven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having what I believe to be Transmission problems. I have a 2005 QC with 48RE Transmission. No major mods just a CAI and Borla Catback. Noticed an issue driving it a day after washing it. Not sure if washing it has anything to do with the cause just thought I would mention it. I did use a pressure washer to spray off the hood scoop screen. I was driving it and the transmission would randomly down shift and shift back. Got it home, didn't think anything of it then went on vacation. Came back drove it again and with light throttle application it would down shift seek the next gear and not shift out of gear until I let off the gas. I had to baby it all the way home. Under 2500 RPMs. I did a little research and think I might have it narrowed down to the transmission pressure governor and pressure sensor transducer. I did a little research and it seems that this is a common problem. There's even a TSB for the 48RE to replace the transmission pressure governor. I plan on replacing those parts but I figured I'd throw a line out and see what comes back before I spend money.

Last edited:
Pressure governor always goes out on the 48-46re's !

Could that be an issue with mine under wot won't shift into 4th until i let off will hit rev limiter at 120mph

Yes sir, or usually on every gear, when you mash the pedal it will bounce off the rev limiter till you let off , than it will allow it to shift

Could that also be the issue with mine? A couple months ago I was stuck behind a semi going about 55 mph. When I went to pass I put the pedal down hard, maybe to the floor, and instead of accelerating the truck fell flat on its face. It's hard to describe but I imagine the truck tried to go down to 2nd from fourth, missed (or something) and the rpms bounced off the redline until I let up off the gas. Only after that did it grab a gear and I could accelerate. By that time a car was in the distance so I decided to fall back behind the semi. What was spent fixing the engine knock was supposed to go into this issue.

I don't know if you guys know Martin Saine (MSAINE.com)out of California, but he builds our trans for the 5.9s, look him up ! Best guy for the 46 & 48re's hands down, he can probably even sell you a built valve body

Just purchased the Dodge 48RE Upgrade Governor Pressure Solenoid Kit and
DODGE 48RE PRESSURE SENSOR TRANSDUCER from JTS Venom. Going to install the weekend it comes in. Keeping my fingers crossed that it solves the issue.

Got the parts in. Replaced the transmission pressure governor and pressure sensor transducer. Seemed to fix the problem. I was even able to drive it 250 miles to Charlotte and back with no issues. Still hard shifting between 1st and 2nd every so often. Drove it this past weekend and if would start having the same shifting problems so I replaced the transmission output sensor. Again this seemed to fix the problem but now it will randomly down shift and shift back into gear. Any ideas as to what else could be the issue? The next step is taking it in to get the transmission serviced and the bands adjusted.

Damn. Hoping that wasn't the case but it makes sense. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Should I rebuild? If so are there any good rebuild kits? Should I just replace it with a used 48RE? Or should I just go with a brand new high performance trans? What's a good replacement transmission? Eventually I'm looking to get at least 750 rwhp out of the truck.

Damn. Hoping that wasn't the case but it makes sense. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Should I rebuild? If so are there any good rebuild kits? Should I just replace it with a used 48RE? Or should I just go with a brand new high performance trans? What's a good replacement transmission? Eventually I'm looking to get at least 750 rwhp out of the truck.

You can do my 6 speed conversion or my built 48re and converter and be good to go boss. :rock:

You can do my 6 speed conversion or my built 48re and converter and be good to go boss. :rock:

You sir have piqued my interest. How much is it going to run me for the built 48re w/ shipping to 28540. Do you offer a warranty?

You sir have piqued my interest. How much is it going to run me for the built 48re w/ shipping to 28540. Do you offer a warranty?

They have a 90 day warranty and I have a couple exceeding 100k on our trans. You'd be in the $6500 range with built trans and stall converter. Truck will feel 1000lbs lighter. :driver:

you can do a decent rebuild for about 3k, new convertor about 1500 ish, call the boys at suncoast and ask for there mega kit for the 48re, tell them we sent ya, they will take care of ya, I could sell ya one, but lets cut out the middle man today, so far the ones we have done, stand up pretty well, but they are a aggravation at times:pcguru:

They have a 90 day warranty and I have a couple exceeding 100k on our trans. You'd be in the $6500 range with built trans and stall converter. Truck will feel 1000lbs lighter. :driver:

Do you have any off the shelf ready to go? Do I need to send you the core?

Canteven, you realize your in NC, the same state that Tony (JTSVP) is in?

I realize that but I'm still over 4 hours away. I'm still considering having the transmission dropped and sent to them. Lots of things to think about:confused:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back