48re upgrade = softer shifting

The Itch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the Governor solenoid with the GM upgrade, Pressure solenoid, installed a Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan, Royal Purple fluid and replaced the differential fluid with Royal Purple. The truck feels like it could coast (quietly) forever but I'm concerned about the shift. I didn't expect the SOFT shifting and I didn't ask the tranny guy to set it up any particular way. It still burns the tires from 1st to 2nd but there appears to be a slight (pressure building type) delay - unlike the BANG'ing 1-2 shift I was use to.

I can program the shift firmness in my TA with the tuner. Is there a way to adjust the 48RE...~or~ Do I have to drop the pan and $100.00 of fresh Royal Purple to do it?:dontknow:

How should this tranny shift for the longest life???

Sounds like you need to adjust your kick down cable. Search the thread for TV cable adjustment.

Replace the fluid with the +4 stuff. It will make it shift much harder. The GM solenoid will not affect the shift firmness. Only the line pressure, TV cable, and the fluid will affect how hard it shifts (without changing some hards parts in the tranny or valve body).

20/20 hind sight...

My tranny guy said my tranny was in excellent condition hardly anything floating in the fluid. He did the requested upgrades and replaced the shift solenoid for me. I'm wondering if maybe my symptoms could have come from the TV cable pulling out of adjustment in the first place.
The softer shifts started after a few passes at the track a few months ago. Not being a tranny guy (by any means) I thought I may have broken something and then the 1-2/3 gear hops started and got me scared.
I have the instructions to do the TV adjustment, and will probably do it tomorrow, but if someone knows where any pictures are posted (KEVEN?) as a visual aid please let me know.
:dontknow:

What is your shift like from 2-3 under WOT? Just curious.

Make sure the bands are adjusted correctly too in addition to the TV cable. It is 72 in/lbs and I believe 1 1/2 turn back (not sure on that, going from memory). TV cable, when released for adjustment, should be centerline of the plastic clip (on end of cable) to the centerline of the connector on the throttle body. When it is adjusted correctly both the throttle valve on the trans and throttle body move in unison. Otherwise, the throttle body will move first and then the throttle valve on the trans or vise versa. Result will be late or early shifts or hunting for gears (i.e. erratic up and downshifts) If it shifts normal under part of light throttle then the TV cable is probably fine.

The Itch said:
My tranny guy said my tranny was in excellent condition hardly anything floating in the fluid. He did the requested upgrades and replaced the shift solenoid for me. I'm wondering if maybe my symptoms could have come from the TV cable pulling out of adjustment in the first place.
The softer shifts started after a few passes at the track a few months ago. Not being a tranny guy (by any means) I thought I may have broken something and then the 1-2/3 gear hops started and got me scared.
I have the instructions to do the TV adjustment, and will probably do it tomorrow, but if someone knows where any pictures are posted (KEVEN?) as a visual aid please let me know.
:dontknow:

Just saw your last post. That sounds like a TV cable out of wack. The adjustment is under the hood. Pull down on the black plastic clip to disconnect the TV cable from the throttle body (Do it by hand DO NOT pry it off). To remove simply grab it and pull down toward the ground. Do not pry it off with the screwdriver. Use a small straight flat screwdriver to pry back the white plastic retaining clip. Hold the top of the cable adjustment (black with groves on it and cable coming out of it, top of assembly going toward trans). Put some tension on the cable, do not pull on it because you will move the throttle valve on the trans (too tight). Adjust it by sliding the part with the groves up or down and then hold the end of the cable that connects to the throttle body and align it with the connector on the throttle body. It is a U shaped piece of black plastic. When the connector and cable are aligned pop the white clip back on and reconnect the black U shaped piece. They should be alingned centerline to centerline before you reconnect them. Snapping the white plastic piece back in retains your setting. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
SlvrSnake said:
Just saw your last post. That sounds like a TV cable out of wack. The adjustment is under the hood. Pull down on the black plastic clip to disconnect the TV cable from the throttle body (Do it by hand DO NOT pry it off). To remove simply grab it and pull down toward the ground. Do not pry it off with the screwdriver. Use a small straight flat screwdriver to pry back the white plastic retaining clip. Hold the top of the cable adjustment (black with groves on it and cable coming out of it, top of assembly going toward trans). Put some tension on the cable, do not pull on it because you will move the throttle valve on the trans (too tight). Adjust it by sliding the part with the groves up or down and then hold the end of the cable that connects to the throttle body and align it with the connector on the throttle body. It is a U shaped piece of black plastic. When the connector and cable are aligned pop the white clip back on and reconnect the black U shaped piece. They should be alingned centerline to centerline before you reconnect them. Snapping the white plastic piece back in retains your setting. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Don't get me wrong, for a daily driver it shifts great but for the track it needs a bit quicker kick.
Test and tune Wednesday (if the weather permits) I may tweak it a little then.

Funny how much info there is on getting more power out of our engines but 2-3 pages on trannys...:dontknow:

The Itch said:
Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Don't get me wrong, for a daily driver it shifts great but for the track it needs a bit quicker kick.
Test and tune Wednesday (if the weather permits) I may tweak it a little then.

Funny how much info there is on getting more power out of our engines but 2-3 pages on trannys...:dontknow:

Myself and some others have gotten tranny upgrades from Dusty at HTS transmissions. Valve body, billet accumulator, HD front band strut, and 4.2 shift lever is what I got. My trans shifts great now, bangs through the gears. Since you did not have alot of debris in the trans when the tranny guy pulled it apart you should be ok. Most of us QC guys are blessed with a POS valve body. You got lucky with a good one it sounds like. Do a search of the forums on 48RE, there is quite a bit about this topic. There are many opinions on this but I am convinced it hinges all around the valve body. Some say adjust the bands, others say replace the solenoid. The problem there is that if your solenoid is getting crapped up and your bands are constantly out of adjustment that means there is a problem. The problem is the valve body not shifting right which results in debris. You don't have that so I think your are good to go. Just check the TV cable and bands.

Do the TV cable first. If it is still bad after that check the bands. The front band you can do from the outside of the trans. This one gets hit harder because it is the 1-2 shift. The rear band requires dropping the pan.

I think I'll quit F'n with the tranny and let it be for now...

I was messing with the TV adjustments and was getting really high RPM shifts. Though I kinda like that I know it's not good. I did have a scare. Romping on it with the adjustment tight I went 1st-2nd-6000 RPMs out of gear. No 3rd..:eek:
I slowed, it went back into gear. I went home and put it back the way it was. 1-2-3 worked again...:flute:

I then took a shower...............................................:eek:

Sounds like the cable needs very slight adjusting you can't move them too much...those cables should not be moved very much....after my GM conversion it just helps keep the line pressure solid although I did notice a nice 3-2 shift on the highway....my 1-2 2-3 still shifts firm with the GM conversion....may just be a little adjustment needed still may also need to have the band on 2nd gear adjusted again???? Could be wrong?

Hey Itch, My truck is a six speed but I have a tv cable, just have to go in the house to watch it:D :D Ain't I a funny SOB...

FATJACK said:
Hey Itch, My truck is a six speed but I have a tv cable, just have to go in the house to watch it:D :D Ain't I a funny SOB...
LMFAO!! :D :D

FATJACK said:

man your a real card there jack ,,im sure he thanks you for your help too;) :D

The TV cable adjustment is not as critical as you may think: the first 1/4" or so of pull doesn't actually push on the throttle/kickdown valve inside of the tranny. It just rotates the cam lever around until it just starts to push on that throttle/kickdown valve. After the slack is taken up, it then acts on the valve, but does nothing before this point. So, even though the cable on the outside of the tranny and the throttle are moving in unison, it really isn't doing anything inside the tranny until you give it around 15-20% throttle. At that point, it is just starting to influence fluid pressures inside of the valve body.

However, it you set it too loose, you do have the potential to be slipping slightly at part throttle due to the throttle being opened say 30% and the transmission not increasing the line pressure at all since it doesn't sense the cable being pulled. If it is too tight, you get overly sensitive downshifts and late upshifts, but no tranny harm. I guess my point is that the setting is not ultra critical, but is good for fine tuning the part throttle shift quality.

Last edited:
FATJACK said:

:confused: BAAAAAAAAD...:rolleyes:

Stinker will read this and come running... ~or~ the other way around... :dontknow:;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back