4x4 srt10. opinions

Stanimal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now i have a serious topic to discuss. when i did my first brake change, i noticed the front spindles had the exact same splines in them as my 03 1500 4x4. i've measured the lower control arms on both vehicles and they are the same measurements, the only differance being the srt had coils and the hemi has torsion bars to allow the axles to fit. i also checked the frame rail spacing and it is the same. so i figure using 1500 lower controls, tortion bars, axle shafts, and diff you could make it a all wheel drive srt. now as far as transfer cases, in the 70's ford used a unmarried np205 cast iron gear driven case with the driveshaft on the drivers side the same as the new 1500's. i figure you can mount that, get 3 driveshafts made, buy the front-end parts from a boneyard and have a truck that has no traction issues for around 3,000. being the fact the transfer case is selectable you can still cruise in 2 wheel for fun, and have the traction for more fun at the track. now i understand that it probably wouldn't be nessacary for those of us that are relatively stock, bit what about those of us like stinker who are without a doubt goin to have traction issues? would the traction gain be worth the hp loss? i figure it would cost around 50-75 horses but you could launch it at whatever you wish rpm wise. just something ive been curious about for a while. all feedback good or bad apprectated

Well, it's an interesting thought and certainly should help wiht traction. I'd wonder about three things, one would the front ent be able to hold up to the HP, two, what would it do to the handling and three, would it have to sit high like a 4W drive?

it would have to sit stock height no more. yes it should be able to hold up. i had a lot of engine work done and used to do 4x4 donuts all the time and had no problems, and as far as handling, it would be a little loss probably but not much at all

That sounds good but that is alot of power to put through all of that custom work. I think you cost figues might be off by a little.

axle shafts-500 for both new
diff assembly-1,000 used
transfer case-250 used
suspension parts- 1000 new
driveshafts- about 800 new with upgraded universals

i worked for a couple junk yards and know about what parts go for. this is a close guess. the average backyard mechanic can do it himself in a weekend probably. mif someone else did it, it would be around 6k maybe more

Ive thought about the same thing, I would guess the axle and transfer case wouldnt last long at all with the big HP. The Hemi has about 400TQ compared to 1000Tq of some of the modded trucks. A 60 in the front from a 3/4 ton would be very hard to break, but I dont know about how well the transfer case would hold up. Also is there oil pan clearance?
Justin

those transfer cases are the strongest ever made. every off roader uses them from mud boggers to rockcrawler. i have a 79 ford with a 532 hp 400 big block and 36's and have never had a problem yet. as far as the rear, there are a lot of upgrades if it will not hold. if they hold to 400flbs of torque but also have 38" tires that is a LOT of stress. i honestly think it is something to think about. and as far as price issues, some of these guys are spending $50,ooo+ on their engines, even $10,000 to get it to the road is worth it right?

another thought is that a qc has a diesel trans correct? use a diesel transfer case. there are guys running 1,200 lbs of torque through their stock transfer cases.

i for one think this would be an option worth the money. just for driving in the rain or if i get caught in the snow again. if you never hammered on it in 4 wheel drive it should last forever. i know very little about mechanics so please help with this question, does any thing on this set up spin when in 2 wheel drive? also how do you sinc the front and rear axle so they are spining at the same rpm as not to pull harder with the front or push with the rear? i hope i explained that right.

rodney

Last edited:
TO ANY VENDOR WANTING TO CONVERT ONE OF THESE TRUCKS TO 4X4, CALL ME! YOU CAN USE MY TRUCK

the transfer case automatically sincs it. as far as spinning in the front, yes with the setup im reffering to the axle shafts will spinn all the time, but power is not going to them. with a transfer case you can also put it in low range for times when you get standed in a blizzard. it would also be a good setup for weather too. i never thought of that.

you can be first for a 4x4 convert, standard height...i want an SRT up on 44's or 49's...skyscraper! (thats the redneck in me coming out)

i cant wait to ride in that. whooo hoo. me first.

Cool on the transfer case, thats the only thing I couldnt think of making work with the T56, I knew the QC guys could use the diesel tranny. You would lose some handling, but it could be an all weather vehicle, plus traction advantage would be huge (at the loss of high end MPH). You would ET better but be slower from a punch on the street. Hmm 4 high, 6000RPM clutch drop on 22's, and hooking!
Justin

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back