522ci ???

faslane505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will a .030 over bore get me to a 522ci? guess i really just assumed it would...will the stock sleeves allow a .030 over bore or do i have to resleeve it...if i do resleeve it...whats the max bore i can do?

thanks in advance guys and gals!

faslane505 said:
will a .030 over bore get me to a 522ci? guess i really just assumed it would...will the stock sleeves allow a .030 over bore or do i have to resleeve it...if i do resleeve it...whats the max bore i can do?

thanks in advance guys and gals!
radius squared X pi (3.14) X length of stroke X number of cylinders = Cubic inch

radius squared X pi (3.14) X length of stroke X number of cylinders = Cubic inch

really doesnt answer my question does it.

dont have the bore and stroke so i cant do the calcs...also...my question went a little more into detail so if you dont have the answer please dont post...

Last edited:
I thought that was a reasonable answer, but a quick search turns up:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20177&highlight=bore+stroke

faslane505 said:

dont have the bore and stroke so i cant do the calcs...also...my question went a little more into detail so if you dont have the answer please dont post...

Last edited:
HaroldD said:
I thought that was a reasonable answer, but a quick search turns up:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20177&highlight=bore+stroke

well...i probrably shouldnt have said what i said... but i was a tad frustrated over some other shit...didnt mean to come down on him...
...i was looking for answers and thats what you gave me...i always forget to do the searches before i ask a question:p

Tommy,

didnt mean to sound harsh...just cought me at a bad time when you responded as i was just informed some other personal shitty news...
squashed

i dont think 522 are all bore but fastjacks truck is a 540 with all bore but differant sleeves....big money.......not the right answer but i posted anyways so bite me hahahahaha

one more question....i have another block im using for this build and it has a tad bit of scaring...if the scaring is more than .010 than what can i do??? is a bit of scaring ok?

505'sFastestViper. said:
i dont think 522 are all bore but fastjacks truck is a 540 with all bore but differant sleeves....big money.......not the right answer but i posted anyways so bite me hahahahaha

thanks 505, ill live....i got sand out of my vag!

...where can i get new sleeves?

faslane505 said:
one more question....i have another block im using for this build and it has a tad bit of scaring...if the scaring is more than .010 than what can i do??? is a bit of scaring ok?
are you taling about scarring in the cylinder walls ? if you are ...NO a lil bit is not ok period!!!!!!!

Bore = 4.03
Stroke= 3.96

Bore +.030 = 4.06

Radius = 2.03

Radius x Radius = 4.1209 x 3.14 =12.9396 x (stroke) 3.96 =51.2409 x 10(cyl.)
= 512.40 cu.in. Close as i can get with a non scientific calculator;)

The 522's are usually stroked or had custom sleeves made.

to obtain a 522 you use a small block chevy rod, turn the crank to 2.100, using a certain lenght rod, changing the pin compression hieght, there fore changing the stroke thus obtaining a 522 stroker.

doing a stroker does absolutly nothing but change the angle of the rod stroke, and ours isnt great now,
the only thing you will gain from a 522 is a touch more trq, but nothing substantial, no hp gains except for about 4-5 hp.

i have the formula somewhere, will try to dig it up, oh , and offset grind the crank also

Stinker said:
to obtain a 522 you use a small block chevy rod, turn the crank to 2.100, using a certain lenght rod, changing the pin compression hieght, there fore changing the stroke thus obtaining a 522 stroker.

doing a stroker does absolutly nothing but change the angle of the rod stroke, and ours isnt great now,
the only thing you will gain from a 522 is a touch more trq, but nothing substantial, no hp gains except for about 4-5 hp.

i have the formula somewhere, will try to dig it up, oh , and offset grind the crank also

Between the siamese style cylinder placement design, the short deck height and the less than optimum heads there isn't much to work with.( without spending a kings ransom) compared to other engines on the market:(

To bad Dodge killed the funding to let Lamborghini finish the design of the engine or it would have been a real screamer right out of the box.
Just little things like 4 valves per cylinder:rock:

505'sFastestViper. said:
i would seriously talk to fastjack about this via pm or give him a jingle he knows for sure......whatever i know is second hand knowledge

will do

thanks guys for all ur input...guess i need to check the cylinder scaring of my spare block before i do anything...if it is too bad... the block i might potentially have for sale will no longer be for sale...

again..thanks everyone

One other consideration especially if you have serious scars.

At least consider removing the existing sleeves and rather than increasing the cubic inches, go to a thicker sleeve...if you are considering a Forced Induction rebuild...thicker rather than thinner sleeves could be a major strength advantage...just think about it, what you give up (as opposed to going to 522, you gain in strength, heat dissipation, resistance to sleeve warping and ultimately longevity of of your engine.

Not many in our crowd have done this, but the road racing Vipers do it almost routinely.

Last edited:
Prof said:

At least consider removing the existing sleeves and rather than increasing the cubic inches, go to a thicker sleeve...if you are considering a Forced Induction rebuild...thicker rather than thinner sleeves could be a major strength advantage...just think about it, what you give up (as opposed to going to 522, you gain in strength, heat dissipation, resistance to sleeve warping and ultimately longevity of of your engine.

Not many in our crowd have done this, but the road racing Vipers do it almost routinely.

not going FI prof...but a thicker sleeve would still be better for than stock for a big nitrous setup though, Right?

Prof said:

Damn Roy, I didn't know ya had it in ya ;) Teckno ya know:rock:

faslane505 said:
not going FI prof...but a thicker sleeve would still be better for than stock for a big nitrous setup though, Right?

I was with a great engine builder on Tuesday and he mentioned the approach...so I don't really know what all is involved...but it sure couldn't hurt.

I don't do grease under my fingernails...only a theoretical mod guy...

faslane505 said:

Better to teach a man how to fish then to just give him fish. Figure it up yourself.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back