6-SPEED Trans fluid...

MYTRAM said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by includemeout
1) You must be halucinating
2) You are shit faced drunk
3) You are not looking at the right fill hole ???
4) You do have a manual transmission, correct
5) If not sure, count the pedals in your cab. Do you have 2 or 3 not counting the emergency brake pedal

too funny..........

Very funny, also #5 will likely not work if 1 and/or 2 apply!!!

That is so true................ :D

I have been working with this transmission in the Viper since 1992 in the Viper and in the truck since 2004. I tried everything, but always ended up with two lubricants that I know are good for this transmission.

Syntorque (factory fill) 75-85.
Great for street and track, change 7500-12.500 depending on use.
(More shift effort cold, less neutral gear rattle)

Valvoline Dextron 3
Great for street or track, track use change after every 4 hours, 5000 miles for street use. (smoother shifting cold or hot, more neutral gear rattle).

QueLocura said:
Dammit I really can't make up my freakin mind which one to pick now
Now you know how us girls feel when it comes to a nice pair of shoes or a handbag :dontknow: :p :p ;) :rock:

I stick with trucks, way easier to decide. :D

Wifey said:
Now you know how us girls feel when it comes to a nice pair of shoes or a handbag :dontknow: :p :p ;) :rock:

I stick with trucks, way easier to decide. :D
I get so mad at my girlfriend when she changes outfits 4 or 5 times before we go out...
I can't make up my mind for a freakin transmission fluid!! LOL
Which one?? Syncromesh, Mobil1 fully syn., redline d4, syntorque, valvoline dextron 3...
You guys are killin me here. Which one would be the best for a daily driver, I do step into it every so often...it IS a viper truck! :dontknow: I also take it to the drag every couple months, not too often. I live in Miami, so when it's COLD here it's only 70 degrees.
:D It's usually as hot as satan's ballsack after a 5 mile run in hell :D

Damn, I'm with ya on this :cool: ... Soooo many options it seems :dontknow:
I have always tended to like Valvoline products in general... I do not hot rod mine much either, heck here recently I'm lucky to even have a chance to drive her :( Subscribing to see what the opinions are :)

What's nice is that tranny fluid is a TINY TINY investment compared to the other stuff we do on these trucks.
Also, changing out the fluid is pretty damn easy. At least for my RC it is; not sure about the grocery getter guys. :)

Use the SEARCH feature here and read some of the results other owners have had with various products. That should help with trimming down the choices.

Try out one flavor. Use it for a while.
-If it's what you like, done.
-If you hate it, drain that crap and try something else.

We're lucky that we have such great technical help and people to try the new stuff and risk their transmissions....and warranty.
We also have different driving styles that run the gamut- drag racers, track guys, daily driver, garage queens. If you're wondering what type of driving someone is doing, ask. Send a PM or email. We don't bite.

Well...Stinker does.
:D

Just for info, My redline D4 has been in for approximatly 11,000 miles now and hasnt brken down any, still as red as the day I put it in:rock:

Stinker said:
Just for info, My redline D4 has been in for approximatly 11,000 miles now and hasnt brken down any, still as red as the day I put it in:rock:

Hmmmm, kinda like you Stinker.....red since the day you were born :D

I know this is a pretty hot topic. I was convinced I was going to put 75w90 RP gear lube in until I started hearing about people call Tremec and they were recommending the ATF. As my usual self, I did my own investigation and got this right out of the Tremec T56 service manual:

6-3. LUBRICANT SPECIFICATIONS
Lube Capacity (Approximately)…………………………………….……………….4.1 Quarts (or 130 oz.)
After refill, fluid level must be checked as outlined under Checking Lubricant Lever in Section 1-1-4.
Recommended Lube ……………………………………………………………………….DexronÒ-III,IIE

Also:
DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN THE T56
TRANSMISSION SINCE THIS MAY DAMAGE THE
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.

That is why I am running the RP Synchromax, which is designed for transmissions that require Dextron equivalent ATF or motor oil. Shifting is smooth. It is a little louder than the stock stuff. Unless someone can tell me why Mopar requires their Castrol Syntorque, I am sticking to what Tremec recommends.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
I know this is a pretty hot topic. I was convinced I was going to put 75w90 RP gear lube in until I started hearing about people call Tremec and they were recommending the ATF. As my usual self, I did my own investigation and got this right out of the Tremec T56 service manual:

After refill, fluid level must be checked as outlined under Checking Lubricant Lever in Section 1-1-4.

Also:
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.

That is why I am running the RP Synchromax, which is designed for transmissions that require Dextron equivalent ATF or motor oil. Shifting is smooth. It is a little louder than the stock stuff. Unless someone can tell me why Mopar requires their Castrol Syntorque, I am sticking to what Tremec recommends.

-Muzzy
The blocking ring material was covered in an earlier thread:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7196

In our trucks, the blocking rings are Kevlar.

Muzzy said:

Also:
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.

-Muzzy
Amen Brudda', Got it OK'ed with the Service Manager where I bought the truck before I changed it.We even discussed the little white warning tag on the side of the trany and voiding my warranty and extended warranty by changing to he RP Synchromax. In his words "I don't see a problem with it,we have not seen any problems with these transmissions and you should be OK." I was told that he has raced cars at the local track for years so he's into this kind of stuff. He did warn me about "Abuse" ,which he said "can get sticky when the factory rep gets involved in a claim. ??? Oh, and this stuff WORKS! I plan to change it in 10,000 mi. just to see what it looks like, and If this RP ruins my trany I will Dang sure let ya'll know.

PermaTEX said:
Amen Brudda', Got it OK'ed with the Service Manager where I bought the truck before I changed it.We even discussed the little white warning tag on the side of the trany and voiding my warranty and extended warranty by changing to he RP Synchromax. In his words "I don't see a problem with it,we have not seen any problems with these transmissions and you should be OK." I was told that he has raced cars at the local track for years so he's into this kind of stuff. He did warn me about "Abuse" ,which he said "can get sticky when the factory rep gets involved in a claim. ??? Oh, and this stuff WORKS! I plan to change it in 10,000 mi. just to see what it looks like, and If this RP ruins my trany I will Dang sure let ya'll know.

It is great when you can get a dealer to acknowledge the lubricant you want to use is better than OEM spec. I am amazed on how many techs and service managers are not “carâ€￾ guys. It is just a job for them, so they do not understand the benefit of going to a high performance lubricant like RP. I can also understand that they are under the gun from Chrysler to deny claims when OEM specs are not followed or there are signs of abuse.

I ran Synchromax in my 01’ Dakota, which had the NV4500 that required 10w30 for its lube. I ran Synchromax in my 03’ Ram 2500 that had a NV5600 trans. Synchromax met the specs on both. However, my 03’ Ram Cummins had a lot more abuse than my SRT-10 ever does. That NV5600 had to withstand 500HP and 900 ft/lbs of torque. Curb weight on that rig was 7500lbs. So far it has been great in my T56. It shifts smoother than the stock lube and I am sure produces less heat.

-Muzzy

I'm using Royal Purple Synthetic ATF, shifts much easier when cold, other than that no big differences.

Still using the RP Synchromax. Trans still shifts smooth. I have not had any problems.

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back