727 tans swap

ARRESTmeRed04

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if an old 727 torque flite trans has the same bell housing as our trucks? I'm thinking about ditching the 6 speed

I'm sure it doesn't but you can get advanced adapters to make you a plate that'll let it mate:D
SISSY :D

I believe you can use the bellhousing from the 12 valve Cummins' that had a 727. I think I remember reading the Cummins and our V10's share the same bellhousing.....

Dibs on you clutch/flywheel combo :)

I believe you can use the bellhousing from the 12 valve Cummins' that had a 727. I think I remember reading the Cummins and our V10's share the same bellhousing.....

Dibs on you clutch/flywheel combo :)

I bet it's the Iron V-10 sharing the Bellhousting pattern with the Cummins as they likely shared the same tranny.:dontknow:
Don't think the Viper engine was engineered with anything in mind other than the T56 being the cars were available only as manuals:burnout:

I thought the basic architecture of our engines was based on the LA's? If so, wouldn't a small block 727 work?

I'm thinking about ditching the 6 speed

Dude, in your own words. "the 6 speed is what really makes the truck cool" :D

I thought the basic architecture of our engines was based on the LA's? If so, wouldn't a small block 727 work?

Dude, in your own words. "the 6 speed is what really makes the truck cool" :D

new quote "going faster is cool" im not gonna lie it really stung loosing to that black 1st gen L when he ran a 10.91....

i was thinking the same thing about the bellhousing as you, but i'd like to make sure before i waste even more money.

sergio, i'll keep you first in line if i go through with it, might put the auto in and hate it and switch back to the 6speed

I doubt a 727 will live long, even if it does fit. Would be an interesting experiment though...

why wouldn't you just use an adapter plate and a turbo 350 or 400 though?

I was going to suggest that, but I think a 727 swap would be the cheapest. Plus, a TH400 takes twice as much HP to drive as the TH350 or 727.

I swapped from a 46re on my 96 ram to a 727. It made it into the high 10s then failed under a 250 shot. I then ended up swapping in a 502 6-71 blown and only found a 400th from raptor transmissions and gear vendor worked. Btw I have that entire motor and trans and gear vendors darn near new in the garage I'd you need anything. It took one run to find the frame was the weak point on the truck, something about 1050 hp with 900ftlbs of tq hitting the slicks with 2" 4 link. Once the bed didn't sit right the truck was tore down. But hey, I tend to over build everything.
I'd recommend going straight to the th400 or something like the 4L80 if you can.
If you don't go all out you might be sorry later.

I swapped from a 46re on my 96 ram to a 727. It made it into the high 10s then failed under a 250 shot. I then ended up swapping in a 502 6-71 blown and only found a 400th from raptor transmissions and gear vendor worked. Btw I have that entire motor and trans and gear vendors darn near new in the garage I'd you need anything. It took one run to find the frame was the weak point on the truck, something about 1050 hp with 900ftlbs of tq hitting the slicks with 2" 4 link. Once the bed didn't sit right the truck was tore down. But hey, I tend to over build everything.
I'd recommend going straight to the th400 or something like the 4L80 if you can.
If you don't go all out you might be sorry later.

How heavy was you 96? I'm not worried about the overdrive almost thinking about a power glide seeing as they can be built cheaper than a 400 or 727

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back