8.3 to 8.4 viper motor swap

titus7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, it's been one of those days and now I get time in my own little world to dream and I was thinkin or wandering what it would take to do a motor swap on our trucks to the new Viper motor? The 8.4 liter 600 ponies na? Anyone try this yet or is it a completely rediculous thought?

Would be interesting but probably cheaper to do heads, tune, cam & exhaust on the 8.3....should get you close to 600 at the crank..

TNVIPER said:
Would be interesting but probably cheaper to do heads, tune, cam & exhaust on the 8.3....should get you close to 600 at the crank..

But it would be cooler to have the 8.4:rock:

by the time you do a complete swap i would think its gonna cost a bundle, you would have to change out the wiring system and all,

with the money you spent on the swap, you could have bigger an better mods

Huh...so what do the heads,tune,cam, and exhaust run?

Exhaust I'm guessing ur talking long tube headers...which ones?
Tune..are u talking SCT or are u talking full on dyno tune?
Heads and cam? Where to go for these and how much do they run?

Im just guessing but wouldn't all of that add up with labor to about 7-10k??
Like I said just guessing

I just had my ECM swapped on this motor cause the factory one took a shit on me. And yeah it was a pain in the ass.

titus7 said:

Ask stinker, he likes lots of questions:D :D

titus7 said:

Heads...around $4K installed....tune..$600...cam...$700 installed...exhaust...around $2500....total $7800......that would be tops I think....

titus7 said:

LT's are around or below 2k jsut for quick reference
heads really depend on what you want, oem heads worked and such around say $3500, jsut off the wall.
cam, custom grind about $750 or so
SCT is probably the most popular, but you would need dyno tuning on something like that.

this would give you a slight idea, it was viper2933's build he did a year or so ago
PBJ Custom grind cam
Ported/polished/milled heads
Ported/polished intake runners
Ported/polished throttle body
Hardened pushrods
T&D roller rockers
JMB CAI
MSD wires/Royal Purple Oil
Belanger headers (w/high flow cats)
Magnaflow cat-back
VEC 2 w/ cusotm tune
4.56 rear gears
OEM Clutch
Before: 467 rwhp and 515 rwtrq
After: 535 rwhp and 566 rwtq-CORRECTED (549rwhp/580rwtq STD)

Man that seems like alot for only gaining a 100 ponies? Again like I said I'm just in dream mode not trying to stir the pot but I gots lots o questions. Like why does it seem(correct me if Im wrong) like other performance motors gain so much more from mods and upgrades vs our motors? Like the LS series chevy motors or even the 5.4 ford motors? Don't get me wrong I love my truck, it just gets kinda discouraging to me when Unless u wanna drop another 7grand Into our truck then ur really not gonna see a whole lot more performance out of them. Again correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm the only one that feels this way

parts for vipers = $

parts for fords and chevys= $

there are tons more other makes than the vipers , so you figure 8000 viper trucks manufacurers are gonna charge money for parts built to cover there money invested

True got a good point. Just would love get mine up to 600 whp, but gotta figure out how to do it a lil bit at a time, I guess

titus7 said:
Man that seems like alot for only gaining a 100 ponies?

600 rwhp is more like 170 hp increase over your current ride if it is stock.

Talk to Rotten Ronnie,He has Stryker heads with jessel rockers,custom cam,SCT and CB exhaust, NO headers,NO CAI and is around the 577RWHP if I recall.,but don't forget the cost to upgrade your tranny too.I'm sure you will be Over $10K easy.

Is the Roe SC a good option. The paxton and the Roe are all that I have seen for our trucks. But I have heard that the Paxton starts losing power after15-20k miles. Dont know if thats true just what I have heard. But can I throw....or have DC performance throw a Roe SC on and not have to get into the internals? How reliable will the truck be after the SC?

titus7 said:
Is the Roe SC a good option. The paxton and the Roe are all that I have seen for our trucks. But I have heard that the Paxton starts losing power after15-20k miles. Dont know if thats true just what I have heard. But can I throw....or have DC performance throw a Roe SC on and not have to get into the internals? How reliable will the truck be after the SC?

I have the Roe on my truck which is also a 2006 RC Night Runner....havent heard of the paxtons loosing power. The Paxton will get you more HP on the upper end than a Roe. A Roe makes power on the low end. The usual consensous is the Roe is best on the street and the paxton best for the track............If you can remove and install an intake you have the ability to install the Roe...much simplier now since it uses the SCT.......The VEC was a wiring nightmare.

If you do a very conservative tune and stay with the standard pulley you probably will get by w/o building the engine...but I would advise it with any FI system.....BTW Procharger also makes a blower for the 10..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back