a little engine knock?

mr702

Reaction score
hello guys, iam new here ad still a little wet from my ears lol hey i have this problem, i took my truck for service before i headed to a trip to california, when i got back to vegas my truck started to make a little knock,., the same sound it makes when your exhaust is hot and you turn the vehicle off. but its making it when i barely turn the truck on, its is a little knock, once every few minutes then its stops when the temperature rises, and comes back when i turn it off. you guys know what it is?

Last edited:
First of all, Welcome to this forum. Without pics. of your ride, I would have to say it's the muffler bearing.:D :p :marchmellow:

mr702 said:
i only put 91 oct. only shell gasoline
engine knock like your describing is usually caused by lower octane fuel,maybe you got some bad fuel,it is not uncommon even with well known fuel companies.

buy some seafoam,see if that gets rid of the noise

flchub said:
engine knock like your describing is usually caused by lower octane fuel,maybe you got some bad fuel,it is not uncommon even with well known fuel companies.

buy some seafoam,see if that gets rid of the noise
How would you suggest he use the Seafoam? The full 3 step process, Intake through vacuum line, crankcase (oil), and in the gas tank? Or just in the gas tank? I've never used it, but am curious how to go about it. I want to do it on my Silverado. I ran low octane in it and now it seems to have a slight knock in it too.

NorCal SRT-10 said:
How would you suggest he use the Seafoam? The full 3 step process, Intake through vacuum line, crankcase (oil), and in the gas tank? Or just in the gas tank? I've never used it, but am curious how to go about it. I want to do it on my Silverado. I ran low octane in it and now it seems to have a slight knock in it too.
i just put the seaform in my gas tank,works pretty fast,i'd add as much high octane fuel to the tank as u can too while adding the seafoam

Does it also do it after you shut the car off? Mine does the samething and I thought it was internal. But with a stethoscope, you can here it right the mid pipes joint on the right side pipe. Mine goes away once it's warm and will do it every few minutes for 15 minutes after I shut the car off.

My truck does/did the same thing, on warmup, every 30 seconds or so...I was told by Viper Tech that it is the factory exhaust manifolds expanding slightly when heating up and making the noise. He made sure the bolts were tightened properly and the noise has gone away for the most part.

mr702 said:
hello guys, iam new here ad still a little wet from my ears lol hey i have this problem, i took my truck for service before i headed to a trip to california, when i got back to vegas my truck started to make a little knock,., the same sound it makes when your exhaust is hot and you turn the vehicle off. but its making it when i barely turn the truck on, its is a little knock, once every few minutes then its stops when the temperature rises, and comes back when i turn it off. you guys know what it is?
I am confused as I think some of the others are and maybe you can straighten this out and make it clear

it knocks when you turn it off?:dontknow:

flchub said:
i just put the seaform in my gas tank,works pretty fast,i'd add as much high octane fuel to the tank as u can too while adding the seafoam
Do you put the whole can of Seafoam?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back