A little help in the Christmas spirt!

furgy667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need a little help. I offered to help a close friend shop for a cancer patient that can't get out and shop for him self. I have never met this guy but from all I have heard he is a supper guy. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and surgery was not an option . The cancer has spread and it does not look good. He is still fighting and will not give up. My friend asked me for some ideas for a 27 and 30 year old man. We don't know any thing about these people , and we have 100 $ per person to spend. It is so hard trying to pic gifts for some one that you don't know anything about.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran.

No man should pass through this world without reading this book!

Prof said:
The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran.

No man should pass through this world without reading this book!

Yeah, I was thinking the Bible. I would say some audio cd's if you can find out what he's into.

-charlie

Thanks guys but the gifts are for the Cancer patients family. Looking for ideas for a 27 and 30 year old guy. I was a little unclear and I am sorry about that. My friend went to see him today and she asked him if there was any thing she could do for him . He asked her to shop for his family since he could not . I was touched by this guys story and offered to help out . I think we have the other gifts nailed down but can't think of any thing for the 27 year old and 30 year old.

Thanks

Brandon

If the "cancer patient" doesn't have a specific idea, or is unable to offer any insights related to the person he wants to buy for, then how would anyone be able to say what might be appropriate, or shop for him?

I think I understand....just get them something from him. Perhaps a gift certificate? There really is no way to know unless he has a preference. I say this in all kindness based on your post.

Sorry if this seems matter of fact, I've been a an ICU nurse for 30 years, some of which has included Hospice care, I know you are trying to help and that's so important in the spirit......just ask, or get a gift certificate to Hastings (books,music,movies) :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

God Bless you for helping your fellows!!!!!!!!!

Cruster said:
If the "cancer patient" doesn't have a specific idea, or is unable to offer any insights related to the person he wants to buy for, then how would anyone be able to say what might be appropriate, or shop for him?

I think I understand....just get them something from him. Perhaps a gift certificate? There really is no way to know unless he has a preference. I say this in all kindness based on your post.

Sorry if this seems matter of fact, I've been a an ICU nurse for 30 years, some of which has included Hospice care, I know you are trying to help and that's so important in the spirit......just ask, or get a gift certificate to Hastings (books,music,movies) :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

God Bless you for helping your fellows!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you . I just think she does not want to go back in and bother him. I told her I would try to come up with something and that's why I asked.

Brandon

furgy667 said:
I agree with you . I just think she does not want to go back in and bother him. I told her I would try to come up with something and that's why I asked.

Brandon

God Bless you Brandon, can't go wrong offering to help. Just offer your love and presence. You don't really have to say anything or DO anything. Just be there.
It only seems a bother....to us not him. I know it sounds strange but don't treat him differently than any other friend or loved one.

Don't have any great ideas beyond what I've offered. This might sound lame on the face of it, but follow your heart, it will tell you what's needed, if anything.

My prayers are with you....just become love.

put the money in a college fund for his kids. im 32, thats what i would want...especially if he doesnt have life insurance. money for my family would be the only thing on my mind if i knew, shadow time was most likely coming

BurntRubber said:
put the money in a college fund for his kids. im 32, thats what i would want...especially if he doesnt have life insurance. money for my family would be the only thing on my mind if i knew, shadow time was most likely coming

Super idea!

Your state will have a 529 Plan...it is a great deal...

l think you guys are missing the point... the way l read it, the gift is not for the cancer patient himself, it is for a 27 to 30 year old guy who is a member of his family. The patient can't go out himself to buy the gift, but also didn't offer any advice as to what to get him.
sorry, but l have no real ideas for gifts. l've always been partial to a nice watch, (which someone has a beautiful $500+ watch on here for about $100 l think) but again, not knowing the person, it's tough to decide. A bottle of good cologne, gift certificate to a local restaurant is always good, too

fastbill said:
l think you guys are missing the point... the way l read it, the gift is not for the cancer patient himself, it is for a 27 to 30 year old guy who is a member of his family. The patient can't go out himself to buy the gift, but also didn't offer any advice as to what to get him.
sorry, but l have no real ideas for gifts. l've always been partial to a nice watch, (which someone has a beautiful $500+ watch on here for about $100 l think) but again, not knowing the person, it's tough to decide. A bottle of good cologne, gift certificate to a local restaurant is always good, too

Yep you got it . Sorry if my post was hard to understand(I blame the Makers Mark) . I was just looking for some ideas. My vote was for a good pocket knife (Bench-Made man my self). Gift certificates are the way to go thought. I think the family is pretty well off. Which makes them harder to buy for lol. I think the best thing is to go back and find out more info on the family , and that's what I suggested she do. My friend Pam has a heart of gold and is just trying to help her friend out but has had a tough go lately her self. She is a breast cancer survivor and has other issues to complicate her life. I offered to do some of the shopping for her but she could not come up with any ideas for the younger guys. Every thing I have heard about this fellow is that he is a supper guy . All I know if Pam cares this much for him the really is something special.

Professor is The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran a story or collection of poems? I found this http://books.google.com/books?id=n5...resnum=4&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false is that the right book?

sorry, guess i read it wrong...

PS3 would be my vote if the guy is going to be laid-up for a while

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back