a suitable replacement for the factory subwoofer amp?

moparracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really don't mind the stock rbq radio or even the door speakers on the factory underdash amplifier, but the subwoofer amp never really worked from the start, is there a good alternative that would work? :dontknow:
i'm hoping for something that will work with the factory harness if possible, any ideas? :)

Getting my stereo upgraded tomorrow:rock: I'm doing fosgate amp and sub in a custom ported box:D

moparracing said:
i really don't mind the stock rbq radio or even the door speakers on the factory underdash amplifier, but the subwoofer amp never really worked from the start, is there a good alternative that would work? :dontknow:
i'm hoping for something that will work with the factory harness if possible, any ideas? :)

send dragon a pm bud, I think they make a couple options that you are looking for, not sure, but I think so

I believe you would be real happy with a KICKER L5 8" with 500 watts pushing it might even be more than your looking for . The enclosure would take up less space the the factory sub and the amp would easily mount under the seat.

moparracing said:
ive' asked this question too,but everyone is upgrading this and upgrading that,:D like we have tens of hundreds of dollars to spend:argh: :D trying not to end up in the doghouse like our brother SANTEEN:D

if I am not mistaken there is a sub upgrade including amp for the rams that connects to the oem wiring harness, I could be mistaken tho:dontknow:

i'm really trying to stay with the factory look with an amp that actually drives the subwoofer...... i'll pm dragon & see what he says........ anyone else have ideas?

thanks for the info so far. :)

OSO said:
I believe you would be real happy with a KICKER L5 8" with 500 watts pushing it might even be more than your looking for . The enclosure would take up less space the the factory sub and the amp would easily mount under the seat.
do i need to replace the subwoofer or just the amp? if i had to replace the speaker, i'd want something to fit the stock box...... :)

moparracing said:
do i need to replace the subwoofer or just the amp? if i had to replace the speaker, i'd want something to fit the stock box...... :)
Could be done but i would just have a enclosure built for the new sub and retain the oem look. You would loose the factory sub amp.

Just remembered i still have my snake skin covered enclosure for my 4 12s that would fit behind the seat and no leg room loss. That should be enough for ya:D

Doesn't Mopar make a system called "Kicker" that is a direct replacement.

I think it uses all the factory harnesses, but MORE POWER.

Lee

OSO no secret. Just didn't want all the "boring stuff on here. Ask and ye shall receive.....

Hello. I do know a little about car electronics. They do make a part to do what you want. Actually they make two options. Option one is simple. Pull the fuse for the old amp and use a LOC (Line Output Converter) on the rear speakers to get the signal from the headunit and plug in a sub amp, and then run a wire to your factory sub or aftermarket one.

Second option is a part made by Axxess (Metra). It is a Chrysler Amp integration harness click HEREto learn more.

If this doesn' make sense or you want more detailed info about option one, just PM me.

Second email

Randall, the LOC that I used to use on all installs is a Axxess LOC608. Can be found at Best Buy for about 30 bucks or online cheaper. About the amp recommendation, that is tough. I can recommend amps that I have had good experiences with but everyone has their favorites. Cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap You can keep the sub but why? You can get a box that fits in it's spot and buy a better sub. Much better. If you want to keep the sub then the amp must be slightly more powerful than the sub. I would say look for a 300 watt amp. A Class D is the most efficient and typically the smallest. An MTX Thunder amp (300xd I believe) would be a great match. Or a Kicker zx300 would also work well. Just make sure that the ampl can handle 2 channels and a 4 ohm load on each channel.

If I were telling you what to buy then I would say.....buy a Kicker CVR 10" sub and a MDF box to fit where the factory one was. Then connect the LOC to the rear speakers for signal and power the CVR with a Kicker ZX400.1. Done deal. Great bass without the loss of space. Warning: Good bass is like sex and horsepower....its addicting

Frank

Sanchoba. No not yet. This new job is more work than I imagined. The box is in my garage next to the brakes I bought six months ago from Stinker, the 1200 degree wires I bought 7 months ago, and the solenoids for my transmission are sitting next to me on my computer desk:( :( :(

This new job has really given me the motivation to start my own business. I have always wanted to do it. Tired of working my ass off for someone else. If I am gonna work 70 hours a week and get paid for 45 then it just ain't worth it (pays the bills though:D ) Probably TMI but just thought I would tell the truth. All of my projects seem to be on hold. Free time seems to be rare these days.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back