A topic to get started, Posi's

mopar_mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think the posi might be a little weak now. She is a one wheel wonder when you try and lay on the power out of a hard corner. I have always hated the clutch pack posi's, they are just made to wear out.

So has anyone done any hard core research into upgrades for this yet?

Carrier

Eaton Corporation/Detroit Locker makes makes at Detroit Locker Diferential carrier in 40 spline for the Dana Super 60/Dana 70.

Part #'s
4.10 gear ratio & down 225SL-193A
4.10 gear ratio & up 225SL-193B
This part # will accept the tone ring with no machining required.

This unit has a propriatary spline configuration.
The spline can be cut by Moser Engineering in their axles. Moser can make any axle configuration you want.

Moser also has a brake kit w/parking brake, part# 140-7144

The housing would need to be cut and new ends welded on and jig straightned.

This eliminates the C clip axles and gives you the brakes to install a 15" wheel.

Eaton also makes a 35 spline locker that is bolt in replacement for the stock carrier. This is much stronger than stock but does make a little noise during regular driving.

;) ;) ;) Jack

1Fast400 has done some research and has a new set up in mind. It may be the Eaton as Jack mentioned. Not sure if he is over here yet, he may post up on that "other" site ;)

When it comes time to change I will go with a Detroit Locker, Yes they are noisey, but worth it. IMO

Bill.

I think I would rather go the bolt in, the other way sounds spendy. Plus I am not going to monster power like some of you guys are so it is not needed.

Detroit is strong with out a doubt. They can have some weird handling issues when going through a corner I know. Does anyone actually have one in one of these trucks and some miles driving it. Personaly I have always used the ARB's in my off-road stuff so you have the best of both worlds.

I have one in my other truck, They can be a little unnerving when they quickly unlock then lock again, but when you are on the gas both rear wheels WILL be turning the exact same speed no matter what.

Bill.

This is what I am using in my Dana 60 rear end in my truck.

Attachments

• Dana 60 MW spool.jpg
    Dana 60 MW spool.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 34
Patrick,

Thanks for asking.
I am just plodding along slowly.

I got into the Chevelle and opened a big can of worms. We took everything from the firewall to the rear bumper in the inside and put it in the dumpster with the exception of the fuel cell and rear willwood brakes. Housing, cage, seats, tubs, ect all went away. I decided to upgrage the back half and and cage and go from ladder bar to 4 link. It "needed" new Bogart wheels, Mickey,s ect. The bumpers and deck lid are getting replaced with fiberglass along with new lexan back and quarter windows. So that part of the project went a little over budget by about 40 grand so far. I went from carburetors to Enderle Bird catcher injection. Just another $4500.00
I want to get the Chevelle done by the end of July. So there is a chance it might burn gas by years end if I am lucky. It will take about 20K to finish it from here. I will probably have 85to 100K in it when it is done but it will be a really bitchin car. I am going to run B/Gas in the Good Guys nostalgia series and do some Pacific Street car stuff also.

The stock market which is my source of income, has not been good to me lately so the Truck has been on hold. The last thing I got done was the rear tubs. About 6 weeks ago. Cage, 4 link, rear end is done. And it needs to have the Engine and trans set in and the exhaust and intercooler plumbing done. The material for the exhaust and and other plumbing will be about 3 to 4k in stainless. I just don't have the $ to put into it right now so it will have to sit for a while.

Both of my girls are in college right now so that takes priority over my toys.

We also have the VTCA meeting coming up next month so that will be another grand.

Randy is almost finished with his new nostalgia Nova Funny car and I have been helping him with that a little.

I just need to have the cash Receipts from the San Tee Costco for a week and I can get everything finished in 2 months.:rolleyes:

I don't want to rush and take any shortcuts with the truck as it seems to be hard to make them live and stay together at high HP levels. A lot of the guys are having a tough go of it and I can't afford to do it twice if I can help it.

FSTJACK said:
Patrick,

Thanks for asking.
I am just plodding along slowly.

I got into the Chevelle and opened a big can of worms. We took everything from the firewall to the rear bumper in the inside and put it in the dumpster with the exception of the fuel cell and rear willwood brakes. Housing, cage, seats, tubs, ect all went away. I decided to upgrage the back half and and cage and go from ladder bar to 4 link. It "needed" new Bogart wheels, Mickey,s ect. The bumpers and deck lid are getting replaced with fiberglass along with new lexan back and quarter windows. So that part of the project went a little over budget by about 40 grand so far. I went from carburetors to Enderle Bird catcher injection. Just another $4500.00
I want to get the Chevelle done by the end of July. So there is a chance it might burn gas by years end if I am lucky. It will take about 20K to finish it from here. I will probably have 85to 100K in it when it is done but it will be a really bitchin car. I am going to run B/Gas in the Good Guys nostalgia series and do some Pacific Street car stuff also.

The stock market which is my source of income, has not been good to me lately so the Truck has been on hold. The last thing I got done was the rear tubs. About 6 weeks ago. Cage, 4 link, rear end is done. And it needs to have the Engine and trans set in and the exhaust and intercooler plumbing done. The material for the exhaust and and other plumbing will be about 3 to 4k in stainless. I just don't have the $ to put into it right now so it will have to sit for a while.

Both of my girls are in college right now so that takes priority over my toys.

We also have the VTCA meeting coming up next month so that will be another grand.

Randy is almost finished with his new nostalgia Nova Funny car and I have been helping him with that a little.

I just need to have the cash Receipts from the San Tee Costco for a week and I can get everything finished in 2 months.:rolleyes:

I don't want to rush and take any shortcuts with the truck as it seems to be hard to make them live and stay together at high HP levels. A lot of the guys are having a tough go of it and I can't afford to do it twice if I can help it.

How about some pictures of the Chevelle Jack.:( You are really teasing some of us old hot rodders here.:( :D

Thanks for the update Jack ;) Been waiting to see the finished build for a year and a half. :D

I'm with Patrick, Chevelle pics!!! :D

FSTJACK said:
Eaton also makes a 35 spline locker that is bolt in replacement for the stock carrier. This is much stronger than stock but does make a little noise during regular driving.

;) ;) ;) Jack

You wouldn't have a part# for this by chance? I contacted them and they said that they don't have anything to fit our trucks.

A good friend of mine runs a spool on the street. Or you can go with a Detroit Locker.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back