A Warning

K-80-123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A-Warning---I am trying to help those who have not been checked. First, I just hit 49 this summer and the wife talked me into a physical, "why do I need a physical"? I ride my bike each day 15-25 miles each day, I raced bicycles completive for 12 years---"I don't need a physical" I have no problems at all I feel good, eat the right things, sleep is good---no problems for me, I am going to live forever!!

Well I decide to get the wife off my back and submit to the annual physical with my doctor, first he wants to take blood for some tests, then comes the prostrate check, then off to the treadmill to do a stress test----I really did a good job on the stress test, the doctor was impressed with the level I reached. It's all good right-------well not so fast------when the blood work comes back my PSA( Prostrate Specific Antigen) level was a little high. It was 2.51, my doctor says this is a "little high" normal is anything under 2.5.

The doctor says he would like me to visit a urologist and get checked out, I Reluctantly agree but believe it to be a waste of time. So I set up a visit to this new doctor, when I get there he comes in the exam room introduces himself and asked what my problem is? I tell him I have no problems, "why are you here then?" he says----I tell him my PSA was a little high. They take some more blood to do another PSA check and then he did another finger test----god I hate that test----the doctor says everything feels fine to him if the blood work comes back OK we are good to go.

The blood work comes back the PSA is now 2.62 and my free PSA level was 12. A normal free PSA is above 25 and anything under that is an automatic biopsy----Damn a biopsy----I am a picture of heath this can't be right. The nurse set up another appointment for the biopsy. I go in on July-2nd, to take a biopsy they stick prod up your ass and take a ultrasound of the prostrate, I am laying on my left side and there is a little table next to me and it has 12 small plastic containers with my name on them----this cannot be good!!---first they take the pictures then he tells me they are about to give me the lidocane block and it will feel like a "bee sting"---bee sting my ass I just about jumped off the table---damn that hurt. Doctor says we are going to take 12 needle biopsies of my prostrate, he tells me I should not feel much with the block----WRONG---damn he takes the first one, the next , the next, when he got to number 5 my toes were curled back touching my heel----both eyes were watering and snot running down my nose----he finishes all 12----I am sweating like crazy but is over. That was painful and I planned to give my doctor a good chewing out once the negative results come back for putting me through this.

The nurse calls me at the office yesterday----5 of the 12 samples tested positive for cancer-----on the Gleeson Scale from 1-10 I am a 6. The doctor wants to see me again next week to talk about treatment.....I still cannot believe it I had no signs at all that my prostrate had cancer in it.

I share this only because you guys need to get checked out----prostrate cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer death in men----If you have not been checked out---go in and get this done.

Walt

Last edited:
K-80-123 said:
A-Warning---I am trying to help those who have not been checked. First, I just hit 49 this summer and the wife talked me into a physical, "why do I need a physical"? I ride my bike each day 15-25 miles each day, I raced bicycles completive for 12 years---"I don't need a physical" I have no problems at all I feel good, eat the right things, sleep is good---no problems for me, I am going to live forever!!

Well I decide to get the wife off my back and submit to the annual physical with my doctor, first he wants to take blood for some tests, then comes the prostrate check, then off to the treadmill to do a stress test----I really did a good job on the stress test, the doctor was impressed with the level I reached. It's all good right-------well not so fast------when the blood work comes back my PSA( Prostrate Specific Antigen) level was a little high. It was 2.51, my doctor says this is a "little high" normal is anything under 2.5.

The doctor says he would like me to visit a urologist and get checked out, I Reluctantly agree but believe it to be a waste of time. So I set up a visit to this new doctor, when I get there he comes in the exam room introduces himself and asked what my problem is? I tell him I have no problems, "why are you here then?" he says----I tell him my PSA was a little high. They take some more blood to do another PSA check and then he did another finger test----god I hate that test----the doctor says everything feels fine to him if the blood work comes back OK we are good to go.

The blood work comes back the PSA is now 2.62 and my free PSA level was 12. A normal free PSA is above 25 and anything under that is an automatic biopsy----Damn a biopsy----I am a picture of heath this can't be right. The nurse set up another appointment for the biopsy. I go in on July-2nd, to take a biopsy they stick prod up your ass and take a ultrasound of the prostrate, I am laying on my left side and there is a little table next to me and it has 12 small plastic containers with my name on them----this cannot be good!!---first they take the pictures then he tells me they are about to give me the lidocane block and it will feel like a "bee sting"---bee sting my ass I just about jumped off the table---damn that hurt. Doctor says we are going to take 12 needle biopsies of my prostrate, he tells me I should not feel much with the block----WRONG---damn he takes the first one, the next , the next, when he got to number 5 my toes were curled back touching my heel----both eyes were watering and snot running down my nose----he finishes all 12----I am sweating like crazy but is over. That was painful and I planned to give my doctor a good chewing out once the results come back for putting me through this.

The nurse calls me at the office yesterday----5 of the 12 samples tested positive for cancer-----on the Gleeson Scale from 1-10 I am a 6. The doctor wants to see me again next week to talk about treatment.....I still cannot believe it I had no signs at all that my prostrate had cancer in it.

I share this only because you guys need to get checked out----prostrate cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer death in men----If you have not been checked out---go in and get this done.

Walt

Damn, Walt I'm sorry to hear about this. The good news is you went in and got the process started. I appreciate your warning, and I WILL schedule myself for a physical, it's been far too long. Please keep us posted on your status....

Plesse keep us updated, brother. Hoping for the best.

i've been putting it off, ill be 39 this year. hope all goes well for you walt.

Hope the treatment is fast and effective Walt.

Thanks for the warning. I lost a good friend to Testicular Cancer back in 99. He was only 31, but hadn't had physical is entire adult life. Getting an annual physical is very important!

Just had my Physical Monday Morning, next thing I know I'm in the emergency room . they thought I had a Heart Attacck cause my EKG was so abnormal, well they do all the tests(angio plastic thingy, tilt test, crot ultra sound) and everything came back negative. guess I have an Abnormal -normal EKG. They gave me an ekg card to carry in my wallet saying this in case I get in an accident and the paramedics dont freak out. so I'm glad I got my physical too. waiting for blood results on prostate.

Great post Walt. Sorry about the outcome of the biopsy.

I had an elevated (5.6!) PSA a few years back but the biopsy (only 8 samples) was negative.

Catching prostrate cancer early is critical.

One more point...a rectal exam is always desirable initially, and a philosophy that I have is: if someone is going to get intimate with my prostrate she needs to be an attractive physician!

Sometime you just have to make lemonade from the lemon!

Makes hernia exams nicer too!

You will be in my prayers Walt.

Hope the healing procedure is less painful, and speedy..............god bless.!

Walt,
I am 50% done with my treatments (classical hodgkins lymphoma). And I looking forward to the day that this is all behind me. I have a friend that just went through prostate cancer. He is cancer free and well into the survivorship phase of the disease.

With your strong ties to cycling, I imagine you are familiar with the Lance Armstrong book It's not about the bike . I recommend that book as a must read if you have not. It is well written and it really talks about the emotions and stages that a cancer patient goes through. I found that as I was reading it, it nailed my emotions down to a T. So I am assuming that as I progress in my treatments, I will likely follow in some of the steps talked about in the book.

I wish you nothing but the best in your fight. My prayers will be with you.

tinygiants said:
Walt,
I am 50% done with my treatments (classical hodgkins lymphoma). And I looking forward to the day that this is all behind me. I have a friend that just went through prostate cancer. He is cancer free and well into the survivorship phase of the disease.

With your strong ties to cycling, I imagine you are familiar with the Lance Armstrong book It's not about the bike . I recommend that book as a must read if you have not. It is well written and it really talks about the emotions and stages that a cancer patient goes through. I found that as I was reading it, it nailed my emotions down to a T. So I am assuming that as I progress in my treatments, I will likely follow in some of the steps talked about in the book.

I wish you nothing but the best in your fight. My prayers will be with you.

I have read that book---I think I will read it again now----I find out next Thursday what my treatment will be.

Walt,
I also recommend the livestrong website. There are numerous resources there. My local oncology clinic gave me a big binder from the livestrong foundation. It is a big book of info, stories and a good way to keep track of things during the treatment process. It is designed to be used as a giant notebook with professional level writing included in each of the sections.

Thank God for nagging wives. :)

I have not shared this with anyone, but my PSA level is high also.

Once a year, I go in for the biopsy test. I affectionatly call it the "shoving the porkipine up your ass test". But then it's fun to take a piss at work and not flush the toilet and watch people react to all the blood in the urinal.

Been doing this for the last 9 years if I remember right. Still no cancer in the samples, but then that is a hit or miss thing.

As Roy said, while this a common cancer in men, it is also very curable when caught early.

Now for some advice. Make sure that the urologist specializes in cancer also. I had a friend of mine's father die because the urologist he went to did not specialize in cancer of the prostate. He was only concerned about removing the prostate. No follow on checkups or anything. Don died a couple years after his surgery.

Now for the funny part. My family doctor sent me to the same doctor. One of the first things this asshole said was that if I was not interested in surgery, not to waste his time. So I politely told him to F*ck Off and walked out.

Needless to say Walt, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

My fathers been through it and had his prostate surgically removed. There area couple different options but he felt that was the best. Since it's in my family I have my PSA monitored yearly. So far so good. Walt, if you have any questions for someone who's been through it let me know. I'll pass it on to my father and get you an answer. Good luck with this. Sounds like you caught it early enough. Funny how wives have a sense for those things. Must mean she wants to keep you around.

I have bph, but my PSA is like .16 or something like that.... I have a PSA once a year....

Good advice to all and God bless you, Walter...

The Da Vinci method of prostattectomy is reputed to have the higest success rate with the least unfavorable post surgical issues....

Again, God bless you, Walt... And thanks.

D

Walt so sorry to hear of this but I know you and your semi tough when your not being a pansy candy ass most of the time.......:D Consider it pay back for the Peach Cobbler you have taunted us with for the past 5 years :D :p The one thing I do know is the same thing that makes you laugh can make you cry ;) Just keep a sense of humor through this, and face it with 1/4 the grace and bravery GiGi did and you will be fine. I am always here for you if you need a friend and last I recall your one of my best friends so you don't have to face this alone....In fact I am self checking my prostate in your honor right now and typing ooooooone handededed :marchmellow: Call me anytime and just in case you have been living under a rock with your bikerscum buddies my new number is 520-450-9234.....

We can share horror stories together :marchmellow:

Love you very much my friend :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back