AC only works when accelerating

tank86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get as much info on this as possible.

I hop in, and roll out. AC blows freezing cold--vehicle hasn't even warmed up yet.

I come to a stop, or a drive thru (I can't stay away from Taco Bell) AFTER truck is warmed up... Blows, but super damn hot.

Thoughts?

I've read could be a stuck T-Stat... true or false? I do keep getting a code that says "engine warm up to slow" or something like that. Could this be related?

Trying to get as much info on this as possible.

I hop in, and roll out. AC blows freezing cold--vehicle hasn't even warmed up yet.

I come to a stop, or a drive thru (I can't stay away from Taco Bell) AFTER truck is warmed up... Blows, but super damn hot.

Thoughts?
Check system may be low on freon. When it's working s it super cold then sorta cold then back to super cold in cycles? The fan may not be working properly. When you stop air flow by stopping the truck the pressure switch will turn off the compresser because the pressures get too high. Need to put a set of AC gauges on it to see where you're at

I've read could be a stuck T-Stat... true or false? I do keep getting a code that says "engine warm up to slow" or something like that. Could this be related?

If it's stuck open you can get that code. Happened on a 460cid dualy truck I had.

or your "blend" doors are actin up on ya

Will it cool back down once driving? Next time you Start truck turn ac on and check and see if fan is running with the ac on. I may know the issue

Do you get a nice volume of air or barely blowing? Does blower make a funny noise, vibration?

System is full. Forgot to mention that. Yeah it picks back up while driving almost immediately (I've started avoiding lights and running stop signs). The volume of air varies as I drive. Almost in stages... The longer I drive the stronger and cooler it gets.

Yup most like all in your blend door. Under dash, remove motor, reach in ductwork and likely find broken piece. Remove all of the door!

Try blowing air across the condenser to see if it's an air flow issue. Start engine turn on AC then use a strong fan or bower cool the condenser (core in front of radiator). If it works you have a problem with the hydraulic fan system. If not it may be HVAC box related.

My brother wired up the fan Zach and I am betting that he didn't wire it up to come on when ac is engaged. I will get the wiring instructions from justin.

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Try blowing air across the condenser to see if it's an air flow issue. Start engine turn on AC then use a strong fan or bower cool the condenser (core in front of radiator). If it works you have a problem with the hydraulic fan system. If not it may be HVAC box related.

You diddent tell about the fan switch to electric

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back