Added Gauges

viperchamp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused: What to add the trip pillar pod for performance gauges from A/M. Really like the look of the Nexus series. Want to tell how my mods are working. My main mods are: ROE SC, w/stand pulley and gas; and belanger headers w/magnaflow catbacks.
Gauge choices are: Air/Fuel #6478; Fuel Pressure #6463; and vac/boost #6459. Would like to add the EGT gauge, but hate to go through removing the headers to weld the sleeve in for the thermocouple (would like it hidden for show purposes). Should I skip one of my first 3 since the ETG is vital? What have others put in for there choices or can be remarked on? Do I keep the oil temp gauge and/or mount it with the ETG elsewhere? Are there other mounting options??
Waiting to hear what others feel, thanks.

Not sure on the EGT gauge selection. But, if you run out of spaces on your pillar, Autometer sells steering column gauge pods -- 15014 and 15012, double and single gauges, respectively. These pods are for 2-1/16" gauges.

I personally would go with the "Ultra-lite" gauges they are white face with silver ring,match the factory colours.Just an idea.

I'm a autometer fan myself...:rock:
Nice intro to the madness by the way.:D
:needpics:

Thats guys so far for the help. This site is awesome! I appreciate everyones input!

Guess my main questions are (since I'm really new to this) is first (before the type of gauge) the types of gauges necessary, in example: the vac/boost gauge, with a standard pulley on the ROE, would the 30/30 gauge benefit me or should I go with the Ultra Lite Series that has the lower psi range? It may also sound silly, but do you also read the vac with a S/C?

The ETG is beneficial in what way? If you're only reading one cylinder, is it worth the effort in all the work to remove the headers for the install to read only one port and side only? (Remember, I'm new to this). How else do you identify if one cylinder is weak? Should I be looking for something else that will tell me this? With the above mods, and say the single port gauge is the way to go, what temp max are you looking for, the 1.6k or the 2k?

As for the solutions in install, reading and seeing other guys installs really help. Yes, I am going more for show than for the strip, but I would like to know opinions if I'm to make a choice!

Thanks guys! Still puzzled#%*^@@@

egt is good to watch because it gives you a real time of whats goin on in the engine, if it runs hot, you could melt something, fry rings,vavles, ect....summit has a 3 pod plus gauges for like 340, its in the diesel section....

For gauge choices I would run a boost/vac,wideband A/F,trans temp and fuel pressure,I had a dakota R/T with a 408 stroker with a blower on it and those are the gauges I used and worked really well,the fuel pressure gauge sure made it easy to detect when my fuel pump was starting to get weak before I replaced it.When your not accellerating your boost/vac gauge will be on the vac side of gauge,for pressure #'s on gauge I would go with lower psi gauge,usually the higher psi gauges are more helpfull with turbo's that run higher boost psi. What psi do the ROE SCer's run 5-10 psi??.Thats, just my opinion and experiance,if that helps you out at all?
For EGT if it was a dieselI would definatly get one,but for gas I really don't know how these motors heat up enough to be needed to be monitored that closely or not??

Last edited:
Thanks again, appreciated everyones input...that with reading other dudes posts too..... You guys are a great help!

EGT's are mainly for diesels. Adding programmers, injectors, etc makes them run very rich (black smoke) and without enough air to balance it out their cylinder temps can go through the roof. Our trucks, with a good tune, will not have EGT issues. If you really wanted to be able to turn EGT data into something usable you'd need a much different setup than a diesel setup where there is just one thermocouple. You're only getting one side of the engine at best with nothing to compare it to.

Stick with A/FR, boost, tranny temp for autos. If you add nitrous then add fuel pressure and nitrous pressure. Yes your boost gauge will read vaccum unless you're on the gas. With the Roe you will never see more than 15 lbs boost... ever. Stock Roe is less than 8. So a 30 lbs gauge will never move very far and will be harder to tell if you're at 6lbs or 8lbs.

Joe

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back