air intake problem

SRT/10-AMSTERDAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, i changed the stock airfilter box for a K&N Cold Air Intake system. Everything fits well and it looks great under the hood BUT i made a test drive after installing the Cai, and there is no HP gain but there is HP LOSS!! When i push the gas pedal i can feel and hear that the engine is killing (smother). I miss the power of the V10 when the automatic shift down.. When i start the engine, the engine runs great but only when i drive around and push the gas pedal the engine smother :confused:
How is this possible?? Or what can i do? :dontknow:

kenn.jpg

Last edited:
I agree w/ Borden3srt. Give the computer some time to adjust. and if that doesn't help, at least it looks amazing in the bay,....right?

K&N is the same as I have -- no problems here - some hp gain but not enuf to be any more of a head snapper - I bought it for the sound :) and looks :) and it does not disappoint in those areas - You can try disconnecting your battery if you did not disconnect it when you installed the CAI -- and, as others have said, give the computer time to re adjust.

Make sure the IAT sensor is not broke and is in correctly. Just a guess.

Thanks for the replies :top: I already disconnect the battery but i will try it again today and after that i will make ride so the computer can get some more time to adjust. The IAT sensor is not broke and fits correctly. I put the sensor on the same way in the K&N intake as stock. I will drive around today with the truck and i hope the truck will drive as good as he did before. If not i remove the Cai again and put the stock air intake on the truck again. I miss the V10 power by full trottle :bawling: and that sucks :mad: :D

Thanks again guys :top:

With the k and n unit you will suffer some loss of power from heat saturation after the engine gets hot. Get a 170` t stat and computor flash upgrade. You will never suffer from it again.

patrick

Disconnect the battery for at least 15 mins. Then drive for at least 50 miles and vary the driving.

SRT/10-AMSTERDAM said:
Thanks for the replies :top: I already disconnect the battery but i will try it again today and after that i will make ride so the computer can get some more time to adjust. The IAT sensor is not broke and fits correctly. I put the sensor on the same way in the K&N intake as stock. I will drive around today with the truck and i hope the truck will drive as good as he did before. If not i remove the Cai again and put the stock air intake on the truck again. I miss the V10 power by full trottle :bawling: and that sucks :mad: :D

Thanks again guys :top:

Make sure you disconnect the battery for at least 15 min. As the others have said a flash and 170 stat will make the CAI really work.

The flash will also remove the "torque limiter" on the tranny, a huge gain will be noticed there.

The Sct Tuner really does work, works great on the 6spd so I can only imagine the increase on the auto.

I disconnect the battery this morning for about 30 minutes and after that i drove to Amsterdam and back home on the freeway. Drive 120 km/hour on the freeway and sometimes i kicked the pedal to the metal but the engine is smother everytime by full trottle.. When i was back home this afternoon, i removed the K&N cai and put the stock intake back on the truck with the K&N drop in filter and now the truck runs great again. I think some of you are right that there is a problem with the PCM.. The PCM of my truck is stock and i already have bassani headers, 2 highflow cats and a magnaflow cat back exhaust system on the truck so maybe the engine get to much air with the K&N cai and not enough fuel. I think it's time for a SCT tuner and after that i can try the K&N cai again.

Thanks for all the replies :top:

SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT HAVING A FLASH ON THAT THING YET.................SHAME SHAME SHAME

I pulle 450 HP with the K&N and stage 2

Yes i know :banghead: :banghead: :shot: :D
I will order a SCT tuner from Roe racing next week :top: I must ask them first if they will ship to Holland :dontknow:

Last edited:
Got the SCT tuner from Roe at home in Holland :top: Programmed the 93 tune into the PCM and made a testrun.. The truck runs much better as stock.. Yesterday i put the K&N Cold air intake back on the truck and made tp today a testrun again and the smother problem is gone.. The SCT tuner rocks :rock: :rock: :rock:

sct.jpg

Yes I got mine in my truck and you can tell a huge difference when driving it, it rocks

Bravo, :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: I love my sct, did you get an 87 oct tune. I run mine (with 93 though sometimes) the increase in MPG is amazing also with not much hp loss.:burnout: :burnout:

SRT/10-AMSTERDAM said:
Got the SCT tuner from Roe at home in Holland :top: Programmed the 93 tune into the PCM and made a testrun.. The truck runs much better as stock.. Yesterday i put the K&N Cold air intake back on the truck and made tp today a testrun again and the smother problem is gone.. The SCT tuner rocks :rock: :rock: :rock:

sct.jpg

Good deal dude. The new tune really wakes up the 4 doors!!!:rock: :burnout:

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back