all kinds of limp

80boboli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch Help

So the other day i got into my truck put it in reverse and i started to back up and it sounded like it was going to stall so i pushed the clutch back in. At that point i couldn't get it out of gear but it was still running. SO i turned off the engine and pumped the clutch and i was able to get it out of gear but the clutch was completely soft like it wasn't even there and i couldn't get it back into gear. After pumping and trying to shift i was able to get the shifter into gear. The clutch has life all the way at the bottom of it but the rest of it is dead. If i start it up and put it in first or reverse it will roll but i haven't tried to get the thing fully engaged. I spoke to a friend who had an srt10 car and he said i may have air in the hydraulic fluid and i may have to bleed the clutch. Does that sound about right and if it does i was hoping to get some tips on gravity bleeding the clutch? Thanks for in advance for the help!!

Last edited:
I'm guessing you broke the slave cylinder. However, I am basing my guess on absolutely nothing. :D Hopefully someone smart will chime in soon.

They make little blue pills to fix the limp problem:D...but on your clutch if there is no fluid on the ground always start with bleeding it first, gravity bleeding is easy just crack the bleeder open and don't let the resivior run out up top.

I see the master reservoir to the right and behing the brake reservoir, how full should the master reservoir be? All the way to the top?

Also check the bottom of your bellhousing. Is there anything look like its leaking or have oily residue on it? I'm going to agree with Caveman and say its prob your slave. Just had mine go last summer... along with my steering pump... and my rear end. LOL

i do have an oily residue on the bottom of the trans, if it is the salve can i have just that replaced or do i have to do the whole system? Is it even worth me bleeding the system?

97' gts viper master p/n-04642666
+
slave off a 2005 viper srt-10

best setup ever!!!!!

you need a 1/16th inch spacer behind the slave and a few washers at the firewall to make the clutch pedal level.

Attachments

• 1076_image.jpg
    1076_image.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 30
  • s0536.jpg
    s0536.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I believe I know the answer to this but do you have to drop the trans to get this kit installed?

I believe I know the answer to this but do you have to drop the trans to get this kit installed?

Yes you do, I really suggest bleeding it first unless there is just a ton of fluid coming out the bottom of the transmission. If you do replace the slave and master you might as well replace the clutch and rear main oil seal too.

Yes you do, I really suggest bleeding it first unless there is just a ton of fluid coming out the bottom of the transmission. If you do replace the slave and master you might as well replace the clutch and rear main oil seal too.

What he said^^^^^
If the Slave is bad you'll see fluid literally dripping onto the ground as you pump the clutch. Bleed, bleed, bleed. Make sure reservoir stays full at all times.
Good luck and hope its just needing a bleed.:rock:

so im giving this bleeding a try in the drive way. I took off the cap to the reservoir and removed the rubber insert. I took out the bleeder screw and white goo came out with it but no fluid, I began to fill the master reservoir and fluid began to pour out of the tranny so i put the bleeder screw back in and tightened up. From there i began to slowly pump the clutch and bubbles began to come to the top of the master reservoir but im not getting any feeling back in the peddle. I had the GF hold the clutch on the floor and cracked the bleeder and fluid began to pour out, i let if go for a couple seconds and closed it up. Am i doing this right and should i just keep going until i get some feeling back in my peddle? Thanks so much for all the help so far i hope its just in need of a bleed too and thats it.

If you have your gf thereto help that's good, make sure the reservoir is full crawl under the truck and have her pump the pedal 5-6 times and then hold it to the floor, crack the bleeder open for just a second then close it and have her pump it again. Repeat that a few times just make sure to keep fluid in the resivior. Try that a few times and see if you get some pedal feel back. In the past I've had success pumping the clutch pedal really fast using my hand

after about 3 hours of bleeding, filling, pumping repeat i have feeling back in my clutch, i took it around the block and it ran fine the biggest difference is that now the clutch grabs all the way on the ground where as before i would engage about 1/2 way up. I always thought that the clutch grabbed higher than i would have expected but now its on the floor where i would think it is supposed to grab. As long as this sounds right i guess I'm all set, thanks again for all the help from everyone.

Glad it helped out, if it continues to do it you might end up having to replace it but hopefully it'll be ok

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back