All this talk of tranny upgrades for the QC...

tinygiants

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a post by Nowwhat that mentions doing a few key part upgrades and making a big improvement. What parts can I make better on the stocker? If it requires a full blown tranny rebuild to get to them, I imagine I would be better served to just upgrade everything :dontknow: .

Any ideas. I know people are using Suncoast and Westministertrans. Are they the only real options?

I can say that I have a Diesel buddy that Sucoast built a tranny for,and it kicks ass !!!!I'm sure there are others out there,but I'd go with someone I know works !!!:dontknow:

im goin thru my second tranny rite now and its allready slipin agian i have to go to the dealer agian 2 marrow

Call Joe at Westm. Trans and get the parts from him and then have any decent shop do the install....:rock:

tinygiants said:
What kind of cost am I looking at for parts? Labor?

Thanks

talk with Joe....but you will be happy with what you can get for the $$....depends on how much power you plan on putting down....

Call Joe Tiny, suncoast is having big big problems with these trannies right now, I know of two that are down and not for the first time

Mine was done by Lee Myles of Surprise, took them about 1 week to do it... but they wanted to make sure it was right and had good parts.

Overall cost was - $4,000

It took a few minor adjustments to get it right.

They had a custom 2300 billet stall made, upgraded the clutch pack, apply lever, 2nd gear band, planetaries, shift kit.

I love the tranny.

I just had my 6,500 mile service done on it... this past Monday, they drained it, checked the bands, clutches, replaced the fluid, and re-added the LubeGard.

No signs of slippage at all, color of fluid was the correct "red" not a dark red, or black.

Because of the power I am putting to it, they only ask that I have them service it every 6000-7000 miles.. its only $89.00 for them to do that... I think that good insurance!!

Stinker said:
Call Joe Tiny, suncoast is having big big problems with these trannies right now, I know of two that are down and not for the first time
agreed with Stinker, and their customer service isn't any good either, had my wife lug the stock converter to the post office to send it back to them, well they say they never got it and will not credit my CC the core charge, gotta find that tracking #:mad:

Suncoat sucks period. There are the reason I sold my hemi, 6 thousand to build me a bulit proof tranny, they re did it 3 times never got the truck to last longer that 3 passes...

Guys,

I think when I start bombing my SRT i'm going to go the same route I went with all my diesels. After all, this is the same 48re tranny that was in my cummins. There are 2 names in bulletproof transmissions for our trucks IMHO! They are DTT transmissions (Bill Kondolay)Http://www.dieseltrans.com/ and (Dave Goerend) http://www.goerend.com/ . Either one of these FINE transmission guru's will custom tune your transmission to be bulletproof and make it perform exactly how you want it to. It knew of guys running these trannies that held up to torque that was off the charts!!! Myself included, I would trust either of these guys with anything i could ever dream up. Best of all you will be surprised at how inexpensive it really is to achieve this performance. I know i will be going this route as soon as the mods start.....

Intercool said:
Guys,

I think when I start bombing my SRT i'm going to go the same route I went with all my diesels. After all, this is the same 48re tranny that was in my cummins. There are 2 names in bulletproof transmissions for our trucks IMHO! They are DTT transmissions (Bill Kondolay)Http://www.dieseltrans.com/ and (Dave Goerend) http://www.goerend.com/ . Either one of these FINE transmission guru's will custom tune your transmission to be bulletproof and make it perform exactly how you want it to. It knew of guys running these trannies that held up to torque that was off the charts!!! Myself included, I would trust either of these guys with anything i could ever dream up. Best of all you will be surprised at how inexpensive it really is to achieve this performance. I know i will be going this route as soon as the mods start.....

You dont want a "Diesel trans", they are great for torque, but they can not take the HP that we put through them..... you just need to advise your builder that you want it built for torque, speed, and HP.. that way he understands what your going to be doing with the tranny...

Alot of the diesels we ran had more rwhp than most guys i have ever heard of getting out of a srt10. My 97 12 valve had almost 650rwhp and that was only considered mild HP. The reason they went with the diesel trans in these trucks in the first place is because they can handle the power better.

Hey men...Dumb Question here! Can the valve body and bands be swapped out without pulling the whole unit...05 Quad-Cab

Thanks as Always Bill

oh....no, me and stinker were talking earlier about the qc tranny problems with mods, we talked about finding a turbo 400 with a universal bell housing and adding a gear vendor overdrive unit behind it, for the 4 grand you'd put into the 48re tranny you could do this easy i'd think.

Link to westminster? Searched but they're are several different wesminster
tranny companies.
Steve

Intercool said:
Alot of the diesels we ran had more rwhp than most guys i have ever heard of getting out of a srt10. My 97 12 valve had almost 650rwhp and that was only considered mild HP. The reason they went with the diesel trans in these trucks in the first place is because they can handle the power better.

Don't go to a diesel guy....it isn't the same....

not about trq or hp....it is about rpms and how fast you build rpms.....

Nowwhat said:
Don't go to a diesel guy....it isn't the same....

not about trq or hp....it is about rpms and how fast you build rpms.....
l:dito: what he said, twice the rpm's of a diesel, heavy torque converters

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back