Another newbie, another high idle lol

jaybird

Reaction score
changed tps and cleaned IAC cause i was expiriencing high idle(never thru a code)...a week later its back 1500-1800 rpm idle but strangely then the service light comes on (TPS low voltage, not sure why but that was during the big rain storm i got caught in) when code trips it idles great...runs good i jsut hate to have the light on...99% positive i have no vacum leaks and the TB is pretty clean now around the blades, did relearn per this site and it worked for about a week any ideas? i just ordered a IAC from rockauto cause no one here has it
truck 06' RC is stock other than magnaflow catback not sure about tune, i bought it at an auction and it idled great there...probly something simple but after some post searching i didnt come across any real advice other than IAC and TPS

changed tps and cleaned IAC cause i was expiriencing high idle(never thru a code)...a week later its back 1500-1800 rpm idle but strangely then the service light comes on (TPS low voltage, not sure why but that was during the big rain storm i got caught in) when code trips it idles great...runs good i jsut hate to have the light on...99% positive i have no vacum leaks and the TB is pretty clean now around the blades, did relearn per this site and it worked for about a week any ideas? i just ordered a IAC from rockauto cause no one here has it
truck 06' RC is stock other than magnaflow catback not sure about tune, i bought it at an auction and it idled great there...probly something simple but after some post searching i didnt come across any real advice other than IAC and TPS
Are you certain it's the factory throttle body?

might not help but easy to check...manually move the throttle body blade by hand, checking for any spots that seem to stick..It dosnet take much for it to hang up a lil..My 06 was doing the same thing,i was lucky enough to be able to move the shaft back and forth a lil and it hasn't stuck since....This was at 3700 miles, she has 25k now...

Last edited:
Betting your new IAC cures your woes. This is a plunger style pintle valve/seat and its moving the entire time you drive. It puts in work for sure. Over time they get slow to react or have rough spots throughout the range of motion. I'd try this and see where it gets ya. Be sure and post your results ;)

You can take out your IAC and move it back and forth with a little carb cleaner and see if that helps, don't be a dumbass like me and rip it out completely haha

The IAC should only be open during idle. soon as the TPS voltage changes the IAC should close and remain that way until it needs to idle again. Idles surge is from the IAC trying to control more air than it is designed to. It really shouldn't have to open much to control idle............Now if, the IAC can't close off the air completely , that will feel like a vacuum leak......... my 2 cents.

I just replaced iac and tps , went through 2 tps before I got a good one. Runs like a champ now !

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back