Another Power Steering Issue, got Pics

SPACEMONKEY1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it started out as a good morning. Got my honeycomb grille installed :rock: Changed the oil :rock: Everything was going smooth until I noticed a spot on the garage floor, away from where some oil spilt. So I scoot my ass over and find this:

dsc0218j.jpg

dsc0219m.jpg

dsc0220opd.jpg

So of course I'm pissed at this point. I inspected the lines and I don't think they're leaking. There's fluid on em, but it seems that it's coming from the pump. I'm gonna drop by the dealer today and see what they can do for me. For anyone whos had the pump replaced, what was the length your truck was at the dealer? How long did it take them to get the pump? I just don't want to leave my truck up there for weeks just for a damn power steering pump. Thanks in advance for any help or info you guys can give me.

-Peter

it shouldnt take them long bud, usually mine can get stuff overnight, dang you think thats the cause of your noise bud?

I can R&R a steering pump as well as complete flush in 2hrs and I'm at best a backyard mechanic. Its an easy job.

I told ya so Peter! Yeah mine was leaking at the pivot point coming from the pump on the hose. It dripped down and looked like it was the pump but ended up being the hose. Its a pain because its leaks over everything. Mine got on my serpentine belt too and the dealer replaced it. It took the dealer 9 months to get the hose which was wrong when it finally came in. I'd check to see it is in fact the hose. Call stinker and get one of his hoses. Maybe I should have rephrased that?

Not sure if this is the cause. The pump wouldn't make the fan shake would it? I think it's just the engine for the fan. I've got a lot of crap to look over. Looking down there while the engine is running, the crank pulley is fine as well as the bolt, the power steering pulley isn't shaking either and it's bolt is good too. Hopefully the Viper Tech at dallas dodge can shed some light on my damn truck. At least the beast is clean :D

jsandlin said:
I told ya so Peter! Yeah mine was leaking at the pivot point coming from the pump on the hose. It dripped down and looked like it was the pump but ended up being the hose. Its a pain because its leaks over everything. Mine got on my serpentine belt too and the dealer replaced it. It took the dealer 9 months to get the hose which was wrong when it finally came in. I'd check to see it is in fact the hose. Call stinker and get one of his hoses. Maybe I should have rephrased that?

You talking about the little attachment that comes from where the fluid is? It was looking kind of dirty to me.

I still cant see the fan doing it, I was messing with mine last night trying to figure out if it could or not, but those pumps can make some wierd sounds bud

Add mine to the list. I just found mine this morning and it must have started last night on my hour ride home. If you find out how much the parts are let me know. I think mine is partly leaking from the hose but the hose doesn't look like it is leaking enough to cause the amount it is. I will have to tear into it to find the other source. How much are stinkers lines? It really sucks I just got my tint done and was loving it yesterday.

Attachments

• 100_4118.JPG
    100_4118.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_4119.JPG
    100_4119.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_4120.JPG
    100_4120.JPG
    631.5 KB · Views: 586
  • 100_4122.JPG
    100_4122.JPG
    603.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
ShaneKennett said:
Add mine to the list. I just found mine this morning and it must have started last night on my hour ride home. If you find out how much the parts are let me know. I think mine is partly leaking from the hose but the hose doesn't look like it is leaking enough to cause the amount it is. I will have to tear into it to find the other source. How much are stinkers lines? It really sucks I just got my tint done and was loving it yesterday.

I'm about to head up to the dealership and I'll let ya know what the damage is gonna be. I'll let ya know.

There are 2 different power steering pumps...the less expensive one and the expensive one.

When I lost my power steering pump 2 years ago the lesser expensive one was ordered (from one of the VTCOA vendors), only to find out I needed the more expensive one.

The part # on the more expensive one is 5093985AA...$280
Hardware # is 82951...(4) at $1.05 each

Not sure if there is a difference between years or auto vs manual but you get the idea.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
There are 2 different power steering pumps...the less expensive one and the expensive one.

When I lost my power steering pump 2 years ago the lesser expensive one was ordered (from one of the VTCOA vendors), only to find out I needed the more expensive one.

The part # on the more expensive one is 5093985AA...$280
Hardware # is 82951...(4) at $1.05 each

Not sure if there is a difference between years or auto vs manual but you get the idea.

I appreciate it. i hope it is just the lines in that case.

jsandlin said:

Ditto... mine was the top hose fitting... fluid would run down the pump and it looked like the pump was leeking.... Got tonys Stainless PS lines and no more problems....

if its not the pump itsself, there are 2 different places they leak.

fittin at the pump, leakin down on the a/c comp.

& at the first flex hose from the pump that gets the fan shroud wet.

Stinker's lines be the way to go:rock::rock::rock::rock:

yeah i highly doubt the pump is leaking. mine was leaking heavily from the top fitting. dont waste your time at the dealer and order up the stinker p/s lines

I have had problems with my top hose ever since i got my trk in 05, the dealer replaced my pump each time and the top high px hose, said the pump was more than likely damaged due to the hose leaking and replaced eveytime only a couple of hours to do, but one time i was in KY, and it blew out on me stopped everything, had in carried on a trk to local Stealership and they coudnt get the part for several days so i limped over to a radiator shop and had them make me up a new hose, has worked pretty good since then ,, but its leaking again, im thinking of switching over to a couple of electric fans, maybe a pusher in front and puller behind..??:mad:

its the hoses ... they leaked at the fittings on all rams just a bad design.
i took 2 c clamps and put them over the stock fitting and they havent leaked since ,
kinda a ghetto rig but it works until someone make a better line for the hemi

Coley 1334 said:
its the hoses ... they leaked at the fittings on all rams just a bad design.
i took 2 c clamps and put them over the stock fitting and they havent leaked since ,
kinda a ghetto rig but it works until someone make a better line for the hemi
dude................................:confused: :p hook me up:D

Coley 1334 said:
your hoses will fit my truck?
dont know bud, kinda doubt it , ours runs our cooling fans, but doin lines is my specialty:) if you can get me a set of worn or old lines, or maybe I can get a set from dodge, but I can probably hook you up, but would also need a ton of pics to go with it , to get all the angles and so on correct

Stinker said:
dont know bud, kinda doubt it , ours runs our cooling fans, but doin lines is my specialty:) if you can get me a set of worn or old lines, or maybe I can get a set from dodge, but I can probably hook you up, but would also need a ton of pics to go with it , to get all the angles and so on correct

i will look into it for ya Tony i just know that the hemi ones leak too ppl have taken back to the dealer to get fixed and it was a pain i will crawl under and look when i get home

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back