another thread about my new fish tank

flchub

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought a 160 gallon fish tank,i plan on putting salt water fish in it,since i've never owned salt water fish before i need to know the process of getting this tank ready for the fish and what type of fish i should get first.

i have the pumps,sumps,filters,coral rocks,lights.

there is no reason for people on my list to post in this thread

moderators please delete any posts necessary to keep the peace

Sharks with lasers.

Actually, I think Mikey knows a thing or two about fish tanks. Also, Patrick.

JRGND had a salt with coral and all..

I have had fresh water so I dont know too much about salt . Good luck!

first setup the tank, and let it sit, running and keeping an eye on the (forgot the word) salt level, salinity? keep it going for about a month with no fish! its got to balance. then you can pour some of that new tank shit in and let it sit again.

gratz on the purchase, 160 is a super nice size for salt water. remember no guarantee on salt fish, the tank needs to be 100% first!

puffers, tangs up the ass, cucumbers, coral, tube worms. so many nice things to spend money on!

I had owned show quality reefs for over a decade. NE Blackout killed everything I had after the batteries and generators finally gave out. We were without power for 4 days, and I live is suburban NYC, not the woods or anything. Lost so much money (and my prize cuttlefishes), I couldn't bring myself to startup again.

How you prep the tank and keep it up and running depends on what you want to keep: just fish, fish and some anemones, some clams or feather dusters, soft corals, or hard corals. That should be ordered in terms of investment. :D You should really figure that part out first.

There are also plenty of different theories on how you keep the ecosystem of the tank up and running. All are different in terms of technique and the amount of maintenance required. Do some reading up.

Anyway, PM me with any questions you got once you know what depth you're in for!

Adam

I don't know much about the setup, but I help my neighbor with his. Just before christmas I went with his wife and picked up a bunch of crabs, corals, snales, an urgin (sp?) to the tune of $500. I got it set up so they were in by the time he got home.
The best thing to do is talk to a local shop. The one she uses is in Boca. I can give ya a call if your interested. There is also one in Lake Worth off of US1 that maintains, services and probably will set it up for you (at a price of course).

I was talking to her and so far she thinks between the tank, filters, scrubbers, UV filter, sand, fish, coral, sponges and everything that they are up to about $15k.

With that kind of money, you dont want to "try" things out. They have a tank that has been established for about 7 years and it is easy to maintain.

Be sure to put some man eating sharks in it.:D :p ;) :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch:

Tekhaus said:
I had owned show quality reefs for over a decade. NE Blackout killed everything I had after the batteries and generators finally gave out. We were without power for 4 days, and I live is suburban NYC, not the woods or anything. Lost so much money (and my prize cuttlefishes), I couldn't bring myself to startup again.

How you prep the tank and keep it up and running depends on what you want to keep: just fish, fish and some anemones, some clams or feather dusters, soft corals, or hard corals. That should be ordered in terms of investment. :D You should really figure that part out first.

There are also plenty of different theories on how you keep the ecosystem of the tank up and running. All are different in terms of technique and the amount of maintenance required. Do some reading up.

Anyway, PM me with any questions you got once you know what depth you're in for!

Adam

Adam,

Holiday greetings and salutations.

I can't imagine how heartbreaking it was to go through that..... Not only the financial loss and destruction that resulted, but the loss of life to your beloved pets.....

Sorry....:(

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back