Another victim of the economy

OCBob said:
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand I guess. But I will say we were the ones that kept the company alive before it became a cool fad to own one.

When I bought my first Harley, I could ride all day and maybe see 4 or 5 other Harley's. And generally, they were not the type of people you were going to bring home to introduce to your wife.;) :D

You "feel the presence" of a Harley, every other motor has to be visually identified.

OCBob said:
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand I guess. But I will say we were the ones that kept the company alive before it became a cool fad to own one.
when? back in the 80s during the rescission when HD almost went out of business ? I understand i have two bikes in my garage i just wanted to know what your definition of a real biker but if you don't have a real answer that's cool.

Prof said:
You "feel the presence" of a Harley, every other motor has to be visually identified.
I disagree V-twin is a V-twin, at idle maybe you could tell the difference in the sound but not "feel"

Last edited:
I think I'll keep my Buell now. Was thinking of selling it but no more.

Being a true "Biker" is a way of life. Not just a fashion statement. I'm a pleasure rider and don't consider myself a biker. For me it's recreation.

I told my dad about 2 weeks ago that Harley would probably be next to file Bankruptcy. I guess they are just going to dump some non performing assets and get back to basics. I hope they pull through this without bankruptcy.

I ride to work every day as well as long rides on weekends. I have had my bike 2 years and now have 20k miles on the odometer. Am I a true biker? I have also rode the iron butt obtaining 1,080 miles in one day. Am I a true biker?
The Harley for 28k was a 110 screaming eagle with open air filter(no rainy days there but looked nice) and more chrome than I would want to clean daily. It was a beautiful bike but was air cooled so traffic would be impossible.
You really couldn't compare a $1500 trade difference without knowing the Harley model you ride. Yamaha models start at about 6800 for a model comparable to an 883 Sportster.

I like the sport cruisers warrior, M109r, don't get me wrong some of HD stuff i like, well only one v-rods and only in the screaming eagle or the night rod victory bikes look good but way underpowered IMO i enjoy riding my bikes but I'm not going to ride 1000 miles on one in one day not that experienced to do so.

kennygene said:
I ride to work every day as well as long rides on weekends. I have had my bike 2 years and now have 20k miles on the odometer. Am I a true biker? I have also rode the iron butt obtaining 1,080 miles in one day. Am I a true biker?
The Harley for 28k was a 110 screaming eagle with open air filter(no rainy days there but looked nice) and more chrome than I would want to clean daily. It was a beautiful bike but was air cooled so traffic would be impossible.
You really couldn't compare a $1500 trade difference without knowing the Harley model you ride. Yamaha models start at about 6800 for a model comparable to an 883 Sportster.

Why do you state that air cooled in traffic is impossible?:dontknow:

Silverback said:
Why do you state that air cooled in traffic is impossible?:dontknow:
I have friends who ride Harleys and also friends with air cooled Yamahas. They have all complained about air cooled in traffic. The Harley guys shut theirs off and park by the road till the engines cool or the traffic starts to move faster. The Yamaha guys just complain and ride on with overheated engines. I'm sure both have shortened life because of the overheat. I know they both detonate when hot and dislike to throttle properly.
Air cooling does look nice it is just not what I expect for 28k

BTW, it was 31 deg here this am when I went to work. To each their own, I just preferr water cooling unless air would be wayyy cheaper. Technology normally is an additional cost. That is why I thought a 28k air cooled engine was a lot of change.

No offense to any bikers, I ride with everyone and love the look of all bikes. My comments are just that.

FerrariTruck said:
because you start to roast your legs when that thing aint moving thru air
thats part of the reason the new big twins shut down the rear cylinder when you idle for a ceartin amount of time:D But on my sportster it's never really bothered me unless i have on shorts which in all reality i shouldn't be wearing anyways. And the 6800 dollar yamaha won't hold a candle to the 883 sportster in fit and finish IMO. All the metric cruisers i've dealt with feel really cheap and have plastic everywhere. even my bottom of the line sportster shares the same switches and what not as the more costly bikes.

Got me on the plastic, my bike is loaded with it. However, I have 124hp, 128 tq and water cooling all for 12k. The bike also came with a 240mm rear tire which handles like crap.

kennygene said:
Got me on the plastic, my bike is loaded with it. However, I have 124hp, 128 tq and water cooling all for 12k. The bike also came with a 240mm rear tire which handles like crap.
what kind of bike is it?

2007 Suzuki M109R I may have been off a tad on the hp and tq. I know they are both in the 120s at the flywheel. I think it makes 111hp at the tire.

I prefer short wheelbase for corners, light weight, and high horsepower.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back