Any A/C Experts, Quick Question

err76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck in to the dealership to get a couple things fixed under warranty. The A/C was taking 15 minutes to cool down, they said that ti was over pressurized. Does this make sense?

Having too much refrigerant in the system will make it difficult for the refrigerant to change state and transfer heat. You're actually lucky you didn't "slug" the compressor. Basically taking a glob of oil into the compressor, think of it as pouring water into one of your truck's cylinders. Both have bad results.

A better question is how did it become over charged? Have you had any part of the A/C serviced recently? I've never heard of a system gaining charge on its own, losing yes but not gaining.

previous owner may have thrown a can or 2 of recharge. Only thing I can think of.

Scrambler1 said:
Having too much refrigerant in the system will make it difficult for the refrigerant to change state and transfer heat. You're actually lucky you didn't "slug" the compressor. Basically taking a glob of oil into the compressor, think of it as pouring water into one of your truck's cylinders. Both have bad results.

A better question is how did it become over charged? Have you had any part of the A/C serviced recently? I've never heard of a system gaining charge on its own, losing yes but not gaining.

Just purchased the truck 3 weeks ago. Found a few problems with it so I am getting them worked out at the dealers expense.

go buy a cheap gauge to put on the low side port of ur ac system. you should have a reading im guessing of about 35 psi. if its too high press the valve steam till u get it down some. too much pressure is dangerous

the dealers ac machine may be old and possibly hasnt been serviced in a while. they need checking also. ive seen some with too much oil have problems cooling too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back