Any Building Contractors out there???

Black1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to measure and layout stair stringers and it's driving me NUTS. :eek: I've watched just about every youtube video out there on building stairs and I'm even more confused (everyone does it just a little bit different :rolleyes: ).

I have a Total Rise of 107" and I have enough room for a total run of 107" (not sure how it came out to the same number, but it did, lol)

I know the "normal" unit-rise/run should be close to 7"(rise)/10"(run). But this is just for getting up to storage on a second level.... so the closest I've been able to calculate is a 8 3/16" unit-rise and 8 3/16" unit-run. That comes out to a Total Run of 106 7/16".

I'm planing on using 2x12's for stringers.... will that be enough board for a 8.1875" rise and run? Is my math right? :confused: :dontknow: :eek:

HELP! :elefant: I promise to include pictures of this BEAST of a paint booth we are building...... :D

Last edited:
Hey Jake! Gonna be flying in to Chicago around the 2nd of December....taking about 45 days off. Hoping I get my Household Goods before Christmas and then planning a GTG/ PARTY...in the mean time, lets gtg before then! ;)

FB or PM me for info....gotta get the crew together! :)

real quick though...if you're rise and your run are the same...it'll be like walking up everest to get to the second story....

you may have to build a landing and turn the stairs around or something...

a 45 degree set of stairs won't work...well...i mean...you could walk up them...but it would be ridiculous

Last edited:
you can fudge the rise by a little, 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 inches, and the run maybe 9-11 (7 and 10 is standard i.e. code;))

if the run is too short, you'll be catching your toe on all the upsteps...

viperhauler said:
you can fudge the rise by a little, 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 inches, and the run maybe 9-11 (7 and 10 is standard i.e. code;))

if the run is too short, you'll be catching your toe on all the upsteps...

Well, I'm using (leftover) 2x10's for treads.... so the longest I can make my run is 9.5". :eek: I can really make the total run longer than 107". I suppose I could go out to 120" if I really need to... I just didn't want them to stick out too far past the front of the paint booth wall. It's a small building and not much room to work with. :eek:

the most I would go is 14 rises to make it 7"5/8 per rise and use your 9"1/2" run to give you a length of 133" up here we can't go over 8" but as you have said 7 and 10 is the best.
You can cut each run off 1/2" and save another 7" in run but it is all up to you.
2x12 should work no problem as long as you don't cut into the stringer with your circular saw use a hand or jig saw to finish you cuts.

trubuilt said:
the most I would go is 14 rises to make it 7"5/8 per rise and use your 9"1/2" run to give you a length of 133" up here we can't go over 8" but as you have said 7 and 10 is the best.
You can cut each run off 1/2" and save another 7" in run but it is all up to you.
2x12 should work no problem as long as you don't cut into the stringer with your circular saw use a hand or jig saw to finish you cuts.

Yep, just got off the phone with Dan (thanks for calling, buddy! :rock: )..... We are going to go with a 7 5/8" rise and 9" run. 14 total rises (13 rises on the stringers and the 14th rise will actually be the landing). This will give us a 117" total run. It will stick out 10" from the front of the paint booth, but that's fine.

Dan also advised me to use 3 2x12 stringers (one in the middle)... that's a good idea.

We'll see how it goes! :rock:

disclaimer:

if the stairs fall and kill 8 people and a gopher and the neighbor's dog sally...

my account was hacked and somone was giving falsified information...

:D

Just saw this... Glad it got worked out Jake.

BTW, that drawing rules!!! :rock:

Plan, elevation, and section all in one drawing! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back