Anybody have any experience with VoIP service?

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
I am looking at getting rid of my regular phone line and using one of the VoIP services out there. I was planning on using Vonage, but have heard some bad things about the quality of the service. There seems to be a few companies out there providing this, just wanted to know if anyone on here has used any of them and what your feedback would be. Thanks all!

OCBob said:
I am looking at getting rid of my regular phone line and using one of the VoIP services out there. I was planning on using Vonage, but have heard some bad things about the quality of the service. There seems to be a few companies out there providing this, just wanted to know if anyone on here has used any of them and what your feedback would be. Thanks all!

You should ask Steve, I think he's a genius in VOIP.

OCBob said:

Hell, I invented VoIP. Don't use Vonage if quality means anything to you. Is this for home or office?

Bob, do you want to use it as a tool for long distance primarily (IE a seconed line) of do you want to have it as your only/primary line? Also what kind of internet service do you use?

VoIP can be very reliable (all of our phones at work have been using VoIP for about 6 years)

I have Vonage at home but most peoples QoS issues are due to their service provider. If using a cable modem, I wouldnt recommend it for business use. If you get a dedicated line (T1, DSL), then you should be able to move to Vonage.

I believe some people have better luck with VoIP delivered by the cable company (Time Warner) but believe they give some users priority queing if they order their VoIP service.

Anyway, I have been using Vonage for about 6 months. Its not too bad but occasionally lose a channel for a few secs and then it will come back.

I recommend it for the average person and you can save some serious # over local service. Vonage has some pretty awesome features as well.

;)

When I was at time warner, I was on the launch team to get the Voip released to the public. The Voip system they have is fairly decent, there are upsides and downsides, but call me for more info :)

-Red

OCBob said:
I plan on using it as my main phone line. I will have cable internet service.

Ok, let me work on an idea that I've been toying with anyway...don't let me forget about getting back to you in a few days with an answer.

Had Nexboom VoIP and cancelled it. Line quality was so poor that the fax would not work. Went to Vonage and it works great. No issues. Quality is not as good as a land line, but it is acceptable. Use it for business.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I just developed and rolled out a hotel/motel product that I can share with you if you're interested...it's pretty cool.

Of course I think you got my email address, send me info!:rock:

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Ok, let me work on an idea that I've been toying with anyway...don't let me forget about getting back to you in a few days with an answer.
Now you have me interested, heheheh. I can't wait to see what you are coming up with here, I will be sure to remind you. Thanks Steve.

I'm happy with my Vonage service. I've had my VoIP line for 2+ years and the only issues I've had can be traced back to Comcast (my ISP).

I've been using Vonage for my only home line for a couple years now. No complaints at all. Early on there were a few issues with the box resetting but over the past year - no issues whatsoever. I have Optimum Online from Cablevision for ISP (maybe the 10MB down/1MB up helps :dontknow: ).

As far as call quality - it is on par if not better than my cell service - no echos or hollow sound AFAIK.

I hear that Skype has a free deal through the end of the year?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back