Anybody here ever work in Nigeria?

tsmith3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iv'e been asked to cover a job in Nigeria, and I have some concerns about going. From what I understand I will have an armed guard at my presence 24-7... that alone scares the crap out of me. I mean what if I piss him off. :D

Any input would be helpful.

IMO no amount of money would make me go there. Just isnt worth the risk now, can be all quiet one day when your there then the next your stuck in the middle of a coup or reveloution. No thanks. JMO

another job, another town, same day bro, different place, jsut give the dude a few brews and talk about babes, those couple things are universal between men:D

Filling out the Visa app. and it's a no go. Only option for hair color is Grey, Black or white. Oh well, I tried. :) Hopefully my boss see's it this way too ;)

Seriously, if they push me and meet my pay requirements... I will probably go. Job should only take a day to complete with a couple days of sitting around.

Stinker, you are correct a job is a job but my butt likes the good ole USA.

Abuja isn't too bad. Anything in and around Lagos, yuk and be careful there, make sure your guard doesn't wander off, you may need him...

If I could use photobucket from here I would post up pictures of Nigeria. I forgot to post them up before as I didn't think anyone here would be interested and I didn't want those close to me to be worried. I was there earlier this year for 2 1/2 weeks. It wasn't so bad considering Lagos IS kind'a Fk'd up; you just have to have an open mind. My eyes done seeeen some shit now.. Will you be arriving at Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos? Traffic gets really bad there. I'm in Soyo, Angola at this time and the only thing to watch out for in western Africa IMO are mosquitos. Malaria is not a nice thing. As long as you're prepared and you have your head in the game you'll be all right. Respect the locals since you ARE in their domain, stay alert and never let your guard down.

Some folks may say the money isn't worth it to come to Africa but what I do is for more than money. It's for adventure and to say "been there, done that." Of course the money is undeniably great too, but the chance to see a part part of the world we are not usually exposed to is very rare and eye-opening experience.

tsmith3 said:
Iv'e been asked to cover a job in Nigeria, and I have some concerns about going. From what I understand I will have an armed guard at my presence 24-7... that alone scares the crap out of me. I mean what if I piss him off. :D

Any input would be helpful.
after speaking with you, and drying my dog off Thank you very much:p

my answer is ........

YES

Dang! Didn't know you were going to have 24/7 security. I would go just for the expierience. Lacy must be freaking out about this.

If you're gonna have 24/7 security do this... Be cool with them, the guard(s). Talk about things like electronics you could and would bring back for them from the states upon your next trip *wink wink* (you DID say this is only going to be one trip there right?) This will get them to like you and look after you while you are there. Believe me, when they think they've made a good connection for merchandise from America they will make sure you stay healthy.

Thanks for the tips Venom Power.

Got a little more info on the job. It's "offshore" that helps a little since I will only be in Lagos for maybe a day then fly offshore and once the job is done I get the hell out there asap.

tsmith3 said:
Thanks for the tips Venom Power.

Got a little more info on the job. It's "offshore" that helps a little since I will only be in Lagos for maybe a day then fly offshore and once the job is done I get the hell out there asap.

Yeah but then you'll be right back in Lagos from the rig until you board your flight the hell outta there for home. It's a plus that you wouldn't be staying in Lagos for a considerable amount of time. You'll be there just long enough to hate it and slap like 71 mosquitos an hour.:D

If you don't make it home, can I have my truck back.....? ;)

Honestly...just fkn kidding, Todd.....

Go... see it as a brief adventure.

Mind yer own business and you should be alright... Take good care of your guards and make friends of them..

God bless and keep you on your journey.............

Tim

Thanks, Tim!
I'll inform the misses ICSH to call you. :D

after speaking with you, and drying my dog off Thank you very much

Stinker, you really need to learn the art of multitasking:p

wyoramsrt-10 Dang! Didn't know you were going to have 24/7 security. I would go just for the expierience. Lacy must be freaking out about this.

No, she's pretty good about things like this, she may not like it but she doesn't fuss about it.

who was wanting to go?

Nigerian militants intensify 'oil war' threat
AFP/File – Militants with the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta in the Niger Delta, 2008. Nigeria's …

by Aderogba Obisesan Aderogba Obisesan – Sun Jun 7, 9:25 am ET
LAGOS (AFP) – Nigeria's main armed group on Sunday intensified its threat to attack the oil industry in the coming days, warning that it will stand firm on a 72-hour ultimatum issued over the weekend.

"The ultimatum (to local and foreign oil workers) expires about midnight (Monday) ... Our focus will be the oil industry as this is an oil war," the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said in an emailed statement.

Although it did not give full details on the exact nature of the attack it planned to carry out on the oil industry in the Niger Delta in the country's south, it clarified that the fight will be restricted to oil facilities.

"Hurricanes are never predictable by nature. So, we cannot predict what it will entail," said MEND in an earlier statement to AFP.

"An oil war simply means that the focus will be on oil politics and the fight will be restricted to oil infrastructure," the group explained in another email.

MEND on Saturday warned Niger Delta oil workers to leave within 72 hours to avoid an "imminent attack," a threat dismissed by the military as an "empty boast by a toothless gang."

The militants said the attack "will not discriminate on tribe, nationality or race when it sweeps across the region.

"The warning also applies to greedy individuals from oil communities tempted to carry out repair contracts on pipelines already destroyed," MEND said in its statement on Saturday.

Several of the group's warnings in the past have failed to materialise, however, and it was unclear if MEND would make good on its threat this time.

Colonel Rabe Abubakar, a spokesman for the special military unit deployed to the volatile region, dismissed the statement.

"It is nonsense and (an) empty boast by a toothless gang. We are fully prepared for them," said Abubakar, spokesman for the Joint Task Force (JTF).

"MEND is only seeking relevance. It cannot do anything. We will checkmate them if they try anything unlawful."

MEND says it is fighting for impoverished local communities in the Niger Delta region.

It has been accused of being behind a spate of kidnappings of oil workers and previous attacks against the oil industry, the theft of crude oil, extortion and the vandalism of oil installations and facilities.

MEND has several times acknowledged holding local and foreign oil workers as well as vandalising the oil facilities.

Unrest in the Niger Delta has reduced the country's daily oil output to 1.76 million barrels compared with 2.6 million barrels in January 2006.

Most of Nigeria's crude is derived from the volatile region

are you headed to the rig off shore over there?... i got offered the same job an turned it down.....just for the fact that i am going back to school and that there have been a few americans gun'd down over there.."3 months ago i think"

Tooloe said:
are you headed to the rig off shore over there?... i got offered the same job an turned it down.....just for the fact that i am going back to school and that there have been a few americans gun'd down over there.."3 months ago i think"

I work for an oilfield service company Schlumberger. What I do is run and maintain a special tool that is deployed down hole via wireline. Once on depth I drill through the csg into the cement then into the formation. From there I can take pressures, samples, analyze fluid properties... then when I'm done the tool puts a plug back in the hole I drilled.

tsmith3 said:
I work for an oilfield service company Schlumberger. What I do is run and maintain a special tool that is deployed down hole via wireline. Once on depth I drill through the csg into the cement then into the formation. From there I can take pressures, samples, analyze fluid properties... then when I'm done the tool puts a plug back in the hole I drilled.
well i work for a pimp service called pimpdaddy, what i do is run and maintain my special tool that is deployed down a hole via a female.Once at depth I tap into the orgasm cavern, and from there I can give multiple pleasure samples.......then when I'm done I remove the tool and the hole isnt worth drilling anymore.

hmm sounds pretty similar:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back