Anyone ever had issues with power steering before??

Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my second Ram and it seems over time they just lose their power steering fluid, is it ok to simply replace with any basic power steering fluid?? Thats what I used to do with my 02' Ram was just top it off on occasion...:confused:

Craig, my filler top vibrated loose, and Marc T had a fitting fail. When I lost mine, I refilled with Mobil 1 ATF...works fine. The fitting is a pia. Usually has to be replaced.

Its a closed system. You have a leak. Common area is down at the steering rack either the high pressure line connections or one or both of the output shafts. Simply adding oil would be a bandaid until you can fix actual problem. Nice part is the system is pretty straight forward and easy to work on. As for which oil to use....I pretty much stick to orig manufactures brand in most cases for everthing....not much help but opinion is all I can give.

Whats weird is I haven't noticed any fluid under the truck just a few morning after a long weekend when she sits the steering gets real tight for a few seconds then loosens up and she's fine but as I said I had this in my 02' as well same symptoms???:dontknow:

Craig said:
Whats weird is I haven't noticed any fluid under the truck just a few morning after a long weekend when she sits the steering gets real tight for a few seconds then loosens up and she's fine but as I said I had this in my 02' as well same symptoms???:dontknow:

mine did exactly this before the pump failed....warranty

Nowwhat said:
mine did exactly this before the pump failed....warranty

that's what Mas did right???:dontknow:

and right after this oil all over my truck:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had my pump changed under warranty. When moving slow (ie trying to maneuver into a parking space) the power steering would go away. I would have to increase the rpm to bring the steering back. I forgot why but I had my truck in the shop and the Viper tech noticed it and ordered a new pump for me. He said they'd call when it comes in and replace it.

Ok well fluid level seems fine so maybe the pump is going bad but now as with everything with the dealer do I have to wait till it takes a shiet to be replaced or do you think they'd replace it on me telling them whats going on alone?? :confused:

Craig said:
Ok well fluid level seems fine so maybe the pump is going bad but now as with everything with the dealer do I have to wait till it takes a shiet to be replaced or do you think they'd replace it on me telling them whats going on alone?? :confused:
You don't want to have a complete failure. The power steering pump also supplies power for the fan. Go talk to your dealer and see if they'll go ahead and order a new one for you. Apparently the power steering pump problems have a bit of a history.

Thanx Dave.... I'll talk to the service manager down at the dealership!!

I need some history on the power streering problems on this beast. Anyone just have the power go away een under acceleration?

Bruce Gorsak said:
I need some history on the power streering problems on this beast. Anyone just have the power go away een under acceleration?
Check your harmonic balancer bolt. It could be loose. This was a problem on most '04 and early '05 trucks. If the balancer is spinning on the crank, you've got problems. If that's ok then it's probably just the pump.

Last edited:
Several have lost their power steering fluid caps or they have just vibrated loose, and there have been some leaks with the power steering lines. But if you have a pump problem it is the first one I have heard of.

Prof said:
But if you have a pump problem it is the first one I have heard of.

Oh yeah Roy. Several have had their pumps replaced, myself included. My symptoms were, low rpm and trying to get it into a parking space and my pump pressure would go away making me have to strong arm it or give it some more rpm. I read that a few others have experienced the same thing.

At first I thought it was the nature of the beast but I had it into my dealer for something and they experienced it and told me they had a new pump on order and that they'd call me when it came in. Didn't even make me complain about it first. Just took care of it for me.:)

Mine used to "stick" on initial startup for about 10 to 30 seconds, so I took t to the dealer. They replaced the pump, hoses and steering rack. Worked for about a month. Just long enough for my warranty to run out! I took it back last week and they told me the cooling fan was bad. Different part, therefore not covered by the replacement warranty that covers the steering parts. $1800 to replace it! The best part is, the Tech called Chrysler and asked them if they could cover it on their own insurance policy, they said alright, as long as I pay the $100 deductable. Finally! A break from Chrysler! Anyhow, the parts will be in next week. Now, if I can only find a Tranny!

Later,
Shawn

Bruce,
My problem was at startup all but once. After the steering "unlocked" I started driving down my driveway and while makeing the turn onto the street it locked up again. Very low speed, engine at idle. It came back within a few seconds though.

Shawn

Prof said:
Several have lost their power steering fluid caps or they have just vibrated loose, and there have been some leaks with the power steering lines. But if you have a pump problem it is the first one I have heard of.

Had to have mine replace in 06

VJ

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back