Anyone had reverse go out on 6 speed?

poppopmadman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riding along and then hear gears flopping around
Next thing quiet - no reverse now - new trans big bucks!
Stuck in Fort Payne Alabama......waiting for ship of new trans.
All foward gears ok....

Just turned 58,000 miles and before it went out I paid to have trans fluid and rear fluid changed at Dealer....nice......

I just had my tranny rebuilt, hard going into 1st gear. The 1st /2nd gear sychronizers had to be replaced along with the tranny drive shaft. Runs good. I have a question, my oil pressure is 25psi after engine is warmed up when stopped. Runs at 40 - 70 psi depending on the gear i'm in. I just replace the oil, used 10w30 Mobil 1 with Mobil extened perf. filter. Also, my temp running 200-230 in normal running condition, is this also normal? Thanks, THA

Black Thunder said:
I just had my tranny rebuilt, hard going into 1st gear. The 1st /2nd gear sychronizers had to be replaced along with the tranny drive shaft. Runs good. I have a question, my oil pressure is 25psi after engine is warmed up when stopped. Runs at 40 - 70 psi depending on the gear i'm in. I just replace the oil, used 10w30 Mobil 1 with Mobil extened perf. filter. Also, my temp running 200-230 in normal running condition, is this also normal? Thanks, THA
Oil pressure seems about normal, I run about 180-210 temps most of the time. I would stay with the Mopar filter though.:dontknow:

Mine has always been hard to get in reverse. I just put in 1st and then reverse and it goes in every time. When my sychros. went out I had about $1k worth of upgraded parts put in. The shop didn't charge any extra labor. I paid $350.00 labor.

yellowfever#154 said:
Your problem is the plastic pads on the shifter fork. Your crazy to buy a new tranny to fix this problem.
im with this guy^^^^^^

i did as well. this is what i did. nyc steve can tell u cause he seen both trannys i had in the back of my mini cooper.
i bought a tranny from a 96-97 viper car, had the tailshaft changed over as well as a few bearing got a sweet transmission for 500 bucks. and the plus side to this as well is the case is alot thicker and heavier. i had mike at snakpit performance change the parts over for me

i did a write up in the diy on rebuilding one of these trans. if you have all other gears and they shift smoothly then it is definitely with the reverse shift fork.

I did not buy new one - did not make sense when i can rebuild with better parts
Dodge dealer changed fluid so I can say what they put in - I would also stick with the 0w40 if you can - bearing tolerances

Regent Dodge in Nashville rebuilt my Tranny, they used whatever the factory recommended fluids. Mine is a 6 speed manual tranny. It took them 3 weeks to fix due to back order on parts. The cost was $3000 but I only paid $100 due to warrenty item. I also had the clutch replaced as well for $1000

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back