Anyone have DirecTV

I have had Directv almost since they started. No problems at all, and I would recommend them to anyone.

In fact I just upgraded to the latest HD DVR yesterday. Love it.

shade said:
So awesome to get real opinions. I got the HD DVR and my locals are available in my area. I'm getting the HD dish so do I need to get the OTA antenna to get my locals in HD? I'm sticking with my local cable company for Internet its damn fast. Loves those idiots' internet.
Oh I got Sunday NFL so I told the wife this Sunday leave my alone I'm watching football until my damn eyes pop out.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I've had Directv for about 9 years and I love it. I have a ton of trees on my property which is the bane of satellite tv but sticking it on the roof has finally helped my signal strength. I do get drops and since Directv just did a major upgrade I get more but they will come out and tune my dish again.

The HD recorder is OK, but I have a ton of experience with their Tivo powered recorder they used to use. I really wished Directv would have continued their relationship with Tivo. The old DVRs that used Tivo are way better then what you will get today.

As far as the OTA HD goes, you might want to stick with the local HD Directv might give you. I originally ordered the OTA HD antenna but the tech could not get the locals off the antenna. Seems that the trees were causing issues again. Back then you had to get some stupid waver to get the locals in HD, but I think they worked that one out by now.

I also have my internet with cable and that is a smart play for you. My internet speeds are great.

Directv has the College gameplay, so I watch about 12 extra games every saturday. Everyone around here knows that dad sits his fat ass on the couch every saturday, so don't ask him to do anything but go the fridge and get a beer or stir the chili pot:D

One thing I am waiting for is Verizon FIOS, they offer Directv over their fiber network which does make me think from time to time.

One thing that makes Directv so good is that I can thumb my nose at the cable companies finally. I do remember when cable was first coming out and I hated the fact that they had a serious monopoly on what I was able to choose from. Yes I'm a little old and hated being the youngest, so I was the remote control in the family:( Jeff turn it to 4, jeff turn it to 10..... My kids will never have to go through that experience, unfortuanately:)

TheSickness said:
I have had it 3 times this year.......hahahahhaha sorry inside joke for Shawno :D :D
:rofl: :rofl: :smokin:

TheSickness said:
Bwahahahahahaha I knew you was out there big buddy :D :rock: BTW one day your team will lose by a field goal.....Bastages :mad: :D
you think..?? our field goal unit needs to be better paid:rock: ...by the way, I watched the games via direct tv....football package rawks, ask all my friends..;) ..still on topic.:D

ILtemprd said:
you think..?? our field goal unit needs to be better paid:rock: ...by the way, I watched the games via direct tv....football package rawks, ask all my friends..;) ..still on topic.:D
I hope a meteor hits the satellite :D Hey ever paint your dish Fluorescent orange......HOA's love that Shit Hehehehehe :D :p

If you want true 1080i/pictures and sound (fiber-optic)....you can only get it on DricTV :bebored:

Quick

Last edited:
jelms said:
As far as the OTA HD goes, you might want to stick with the local HD Directv might give you. I originally ordered the OTA HD antenna but the tech could not get the locals off the antenna. Seems that the trees were causing issues again. Back then you had to get some stupid waver to get the locals in HD, but I think they worked that one out by now.

My OTA channels are a lot clearer than my DirecTV HD channels by a long shot. If you have a tv that is hd ready and you don't have too many issues with trees or hills/valleys I would suggest at least trying the OTA antenna.

Just my .02 worth.

amtrucker22 said:
My OTA channels are a lot clearer than my DirecTV HD channels by a long shot. If you have a tv that is hd ready and you don't have too many issues with trees or hills/valleys I would suggest at least trying the OTA antenna.

Just my .02 worth.

You are probably right on that one. From what I have been told the DC HD signal is pretty weak anyway and lots of people have issues pulling it in. I think they transmit for MD.

I have problems with the non-HD signal when I'm working in the garage. Those bunny ears are tough to line up:D

amtrucker22 said:

Just my .02 worth.

Know why? It's because the OTA HD signal is uncompressed.

It's the same issue with the difference in sound quality between a CD and an MP3 that was done at a lower sampling rate. With a CoDec (compression/decompression) system, you'll nearly always lose quality. Bandwidth is at a premium with satellites, especially with all of the HD stuff coming on board. I noticed last night that a few of the HD channels on DirecTV have horrible degradation with motion scenes while others are just fine. They are able to choose how hard they step on the signal (remember cocaine & baby powder?) for each channel. Some end up sucking pretty bad.

As far as clarity and signal go with digital OTA, there is NO difference between a strong or weak signal when it comes to picture quality. You either get it, or you don't. If you're don't quite get it, the picture breaks up. Otherwise, your receiver either has enough signal to identify a 1 or a 0 or it doesn't. It's a great picture or no picture with digital.

That said, the frequency of digital OTA is in the UHF band, and the local stations don't have much more than a 50-75 mile range with that signal. It can be very picky when you're at the fringe. Just raising or lowering the antenna a few inches can make a big difference in signal strength.

Of course now that I have local HD, the ugly crunt of an anchorwoman for our NBC affiliate looks even more ghastly than ever!:puke:

Ram From Hell said:
Of course now that I have local HD, the ugly crunt of an anchorwoman for our NBC affiliate looks even more ghastly than ever!:puke:
Izzy from Grey's Anatomy is very good to look at though! I didn't realize she had freckles until I watched it in HD!

I thought I was going to get a sh!tty installer but the dood knew his crap.
Install went fine and damn there are so many channels with DTV!
Its awesome.

Ditch cable for any of you considering switching.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back