Anyone here a master tech or good with electrical system???

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put in the hid's and my truck has been going crazy....what happens is while driving first my ABS and Park Brake light come on in the dash, then my speedometer drops to 0, my air won't work or will start surging (on off on off on off real fast), my windows and horn doesn't work either., and my park lights come on with only one HID turning on...

If it helps, the HID light that turns on by itself has an in-line fuse on the resistor, and the other side doesn't:dontknow:

I was told that the HID should have nothing to do with those problems...I was also told it sounds like a positive ground problem whatever that is?

The HID set up is a ballast for each side, each powered by the factory headlight harness with a resistor coming off each harness into the ballast

More than likely,your problem is probably due to (emi) Electro magnetic interference.I ran into this a couple of times.Check where you mounted the control modules,If they are too close to your a.b.s.or front control module,you will set a light.The easiest way to check if it is(e.m.i.)would be to remove power from your hids,clear your codes and see if the problem goes away.If the problem persists,than more diag will be required.Hope this helps.By removing power from your h.i.d.s,you will also remove any unwanted draw from your other systems.I also recommend a dedicated power and ground source since h.i.d.s draw high amps.You can use your headlamp circuit as a trigger for your relays.

Last edited:
BigRed460 said:
Lose ground somewhere?
The way mine is set-up is strictly off the headlight harness with a resistor (which stores power to keep it constant) into the ballast.. so no ground except from the truck
both ballast are mounted up by the radiators on the truck...
Could a fuse need to be upgraded or does the other resistor possibly need an in-line fuse installed in it?

Where is the ABS control?

kickinassrt-10 said:
The way mine is set-up is strictly off the headlight harness with a resistor (which stores power to keep it constant) into the ballast.. so no ground except from the truck
both ballast are mounted up by the radiators on the truck...
Could a fuse need to be upgraded or does the other resistor possibly need an in-line fuse installed in it?

Where is the ABS control?
You really should be running a seperate harness with power coming from the battery with a relay and the headlight plugs should just be used as a switch.

SANTEEN said:
You really should be running a seperate harness with power coming from the battery with a relay and the headlight plugs should just be used as a switch.
That's what my kit originally looked like.....but it wouldn't work and this is the only way they go on now....
do you have pics of your install by any chance? actually i think your power system is different from mine because I took the same wiring out of my brothers 06 and it didn't work in my 05

kickinassrt-10 said:
That's what my kit originally looked like.....but it wouldn't work and this is the only way they go on now....
do you have pics of your install by any chance? actually i think your power system is different from mine because I took the same wiring out of my brothers 06 and it didn't work in my 05
Yeah, it might be different. Just talk with Twiggy over at dodgetalk.com, great guy. He'll hook you up with exact harness that you need. PM him, he'll answer back pretty quick.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

after searching and searching the answer was right in front of my face.....the ground by the fuse box under the hood, was loose.....
to make it even worse my dumbass was using that as a ground from the original wire harness kit and I must not have tightened it all the way....
lets see if that takes care of the problem

im sure its a grounding issue. i had a ground problem with a control board today on a gunkerac genny. and hid systems draw verry little current.

perk_1405 said:
im sure its a grounding issue. i had a ground problem with a control board today on a gunkerac genny. and hid systems draw verry little current.
yea only start up they draw after that they're good....
it makes sense why it only happened and went away while driving...it happened right before I went to the store today and did it when I left....after driving a little it went away...it as probably the ground loosing contact from bumps in the road

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back